cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onan 2800 Microlite - Remote Starter Switch

Moabbill
Explorer
Explorer
The remote switch will not start gen but lite is on when I start from the Gen and I can stop the Gen with the switch.

I am told to open the gen and clean contacts.

I do not know what I will be looking at when opened.... is it fairly obvious? It is mounted in the rear of van but I think I can drop it out to work on it.

Any precautions or suggestions would be appreciated. ( I'm 70. but will have help).

Thanks MOAB BILL
2 REPLIES 2

Moabbill
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Jim...

I discussed with an Onan (retired guy) ... said he thinks the board inside the Gen is corroded .. there are pins on the board where the remote wires are connected. Remove and clean as be you can... eventually the corrosion will get worse and destroy the board.

So ... looks like I need to drop the gen out and open it up to get to the pins.

Moab Bill

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
I've never known for sure what circuit that little fuse (5 amp?) on the side of the control panel inside the door is in, but I'd check it before going further. You may want to tie a piece of thread around it before attempting to reinsert it (don't ask ;)).

Here's what the Microlite 2800 looks like when it's out:

The only contacts that I can think of that might need cleaning are the ones in that multi-wire harness plug that leads to the start switch. It's the white thing that's laying over the top corner.

Left to right in the pic, the connections are fuel, 12 V start, remote switch harness, and 3 120V wires.

First step is to disconnect the 12V line at the starting battery, and be ready with a wood pencil or similar to plug the end of the line from the fuel tank.

Beyond that, dunno what yours is in. Underfloor mount?

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')