cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan 5500 Gas Generator

novi2some
Explorer
Explorer
I can't get the generator to run after not using it for about 6 months or more. I am now in Naples, Florida. I can get to start but stops after the initial primed fuel I inputted by holding down the prime button for 30 seconds as stated in the directions. Any suggestions?
Happy Campers Since 1980 and still kicking.
24 REPLIES 24

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
If I was a buyer ,I would walk away.

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
I was disabled for 3 months after cardiac surgery in December 2011 and didn't get to do the monthly exercise during that time. Afterwards, the genny wouldn't start and hasn't run since. I checked the fuel pump and it seemed really weak, so I replaced it.

Now, the fuel pump never stops clicking when I'm priming before trying to start. The previous pump did. When I try to start it, the generator spits and bangs, spitting out great clouds of water vapor, then quits altogether. I'm going to do a fuel pressure check, as I suspect the pump is putting out more than the float can manage or maybe the float is damaged. When I dropped the float in a small can of gas, it floated, but not very convincingly. Maybe a new carb is needed, since individual carburetor parts aren't available.

I think we're going to sell the RV in the spring. How big a negative is a non-functional generator?
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
When ervr i get back from a trip i ALWAYS fill the mh up and ad a qt of stable to the tank, when i leave the station i start the gen and let it run till i get home,about 20 min,that way the stable has had a chance to run through the fuel system and i never have a problem.

novi2some
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help. Based on what can be the cause, I think I'll wait until I return from Florida to Michigan before I either try to figure it out or take it to someone to fix.

chucl66
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem. I turned out to be the voltage regulator on gen.

Chuck
Chuck & Laraine

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
novi2some wrote:
My fuel tank is full. If I add seafoam to the gas tank on the motor home, will this help to get the fuel to the generator? with an 80 gallon tank, how much seafoam do I add? To get to the carb, do I remove the plate on the bottom of the generator?

Since it's now obvious you have not worked on this or other mechanical items it's time to take your MH to someone who knows what they are doing. In the long run it will save you money and time. If you have the manuals to your MH and the genny, I'd suggest you read them and understand how things work.

I've laid out a step by step process for you to troubleshoot this problem which would have led to either fuel, fuel line, or carb issues. Placing seafoam in your tank will only help after the problem has been resolved.

-paul

rv_bear
Explorer
Explorer
I once had problem like this the gen. would start then run a short time then quit ,it was the oil low pressure switch was faulty and once I changed the switch the gen. ran fine.

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a can of seafoam today instuctions says it will treat 8-25 gallons of fuel then recomends 1 ounce per gallon.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 75 gallon gas tank. Once a year or so I add six cans of Seafoam to the tank and fill it up.

I do this before a trip where I know I'll burn the whole tank and I run the generator for at least an hour with that seafoam mixed in during the trip.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Pull the bowl by loosening the nut on the bottom of it, drain the water, spray it and the intake with a can of carb cleaner from the parts store and after letting the pump refill the bowl, start it. May be all it needs and will save 175 dead presidents.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Pull the bowl by loosening the nut on the bottom of it, drain the water, spray it and the intake with a can of carb cleaner from the parts store and after letting the pump refill the bowl, start it. May be all it needs and will save 175 dead presidents.Not sure but if it does'nt have aside plate or top cover then remove the bottom and look around.

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
Read the instuctions on the seafoam can!, If you disconnected the fuel line and ran it out of a gas can treat the gas can. Get the seafoam into fuel and into carb , shut it down and let it soak. This process may take a day or so to shoot itself in the foot. Keep you gas treated with seafoam when rv sits for periods of time. The aggrivation from a gummed up genny is worth the ten bucks to treat your fuel. Like others have said exercise the genny. Mine sits alot to I have had my share of problems from this also.

BobR
Explorer
Explorer
You could add Seafoam to the tank which would be four or five cans to treat 80 gallons if memory serves me correctly. Another approach would be to disconnect the fuel line at the generator and mix Seafoam in a one gallon gas can. Place gas can higher than genny for gravity feed and run for about 30 minutes. Wait 30 minutes, then run generator for another 30 minutes. If the generator runs fine, re-connect to the fuel tank line.

novi2some
Explorer
Explorer
My fuel tank is full. If I add seafoam to the gas tank on the motor home, will this help to get the fuel to the generator? with an 80 gallon tank, how much seafoam do I add? To get to the carb, do I remove the plate on the bottom of the generator?