cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan 7.5 Diesel Generator shut down problem

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Genset could and has quite a few times, just shut down without warning. Will start right up and run for only five minutes or so and continues with the same routine over and over again. Throws a code 24 saying that it's not sensing coolant temp. in first 5 minutes of operation. Then the next day, it runs fine all day long and maybe for days after, so you never know when the next time will be. I'm about to change the sensor, but am hearing about a very expensive module that could be bad as well.
Now, other than a loose wire on the sensor, I can't think how something like this, could have an intermittent problem of this nature.
Anyone experience this and what might have been the culprit?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)
2 REPLIES 2

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
OLYLEN wrote:
If you can get at the gen EZ reseat all the plugins in the gen compartment. Sounds like a loose contact or dirty.

LEN

Thanks and do intend on doing that, right here in a CAT parking lot and before I let them tear things down for installing a new sensor on a bet.
Next step with be a stop at ONAN somewhere.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
If you can get at the gen EZ reseat all the plugins in the gen compartment. Sounds like a loose contact or dirty.

LEN