cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan 7500 diesel gen set

sprint4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Generator surges off and on after putting a load to it. Just got the coach last weekend so looking at doing complete maintenance, oil/filter both the coach and gen set, fuel filters, etc.. Would this be a concern or maybe the gen set is telling me it's time for service?

Thanks,

Randy
6 REPLIES 6

sprint4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the inputs. I plan to do a full service this weekend. From hour comments, it sounds like I'm just reading (hearing) too much into it. Will feel much better after I complete the service and start fresh.

Thanks everyone

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
My 7500 QD will surge for a while...then stops once all the loads are stabilized. Once it is just operating the A/C's the rpm's are steady.

One other point, mine does not like to operate with little to no load, will surge significantly if both A/C's are not running.

Your problem, if any is minor IMHO.
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

Koop
Explorer
Explorer
bluwtr49 wrote:
The 7500 QD gen set is controlled by an inverter and the speed changes as the load changes. Suggest you make sure this "Surging" is not just normal operation.

This was my first thought. Higher load equals higher engine RPM with this model. If things like water heater elements or air conditioners (high loads) are switching on and off it's normal to have a significant change in RPM.
Mike
2003 Alpine Coach 40MDTS
400HP Cummins ISL

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 7500 QD gen set is controlled by an inverter and the speed changes as the load changes. Suggest you make sure this "Surging" is not just normal operation.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

horizon36
Explorer
Explorer
What trouble code did it give you? Look in the generator manual and it will tell you how to get the code. This will tell you what you need to do.
Live Long and Prosper.

Home is where we park it.
FT since August 2010

'02 Itasca Horizon 36LD
'02 Jeep GC toad

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd start with a full service. It's an inverter genset so RPM s vary with load.

It might be adjusting to a varying load. It shuts off if it can't regulate voltage and frequency and gives you a trouble code.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.