cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OTA TV connections

Wijames
Explorer
Explorer
On my 1993 Chateau,I have what looks to be the remnants of an older style crank up Windward antenna base on my roof which a PO has entirely covered with lap cement, and inside toward the front of the coach and also at the bottom of the bed I have a wall plate which has a coaxial connection, an on/off switch with light and what looks somewhat like a cigarette lighter plug. I also have a coaxial plug on the outside of the coach near the water and electrical connections. My question is, how are the tv signal wires normally run to these devices? I bought a new antenna and want to hook it up but not sure where to connect it into the system. Is anyone familiar with these old setups?
11 REPLIES 11

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
If you want the best performance, nothing beats a Winegard Batwing w/Wingman, or the integrated Sensar IV.
2nd in line is the Jack. Smaller, nowhere near the performance as the Batwing, especially on VHF. But if you dont have the room on the roof for a Batwing, or arent in weak signal areas, then its fine.

Personally I wouldn't deaviate from these two because you can always find parts.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Disneyfix
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
I'm not gonna beat up your decision, but as long as you realize before it's too late to exchange, that ANY omnidirectional won't perform anywhere close to the previous antenna. If you are in an urban area with good coverage then great. But omni's just don't perform out in the boonies

Soooooo what would you suggest?

Wijames
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
I'm not gonna beat up your decision, but as long as you realize before it's too late to exchange, that ANY omnidirectional won't perform anywhere close to the previous antenna. If you are in an urban area with good coverage then great. But omni's just don't perform out in the boonies

I do realize that. This motorhome will probably not make it out of FL as we bought it to see if we like the lifestyle before buying a new one and being older, we will be using urban parks so we should be fine. Thanks for the response.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Wijames
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Winegard crank-up antenna connects to cable in RV roof.....that cable goes to the Wall Plate.

Cable connection on outside of rig is 'cable' connection. That cable also goes to Wall Plate.

Wall Plate has 12V DC power to it from Fused DC Dist Panel.
12V DC powers 'cigarette lighter' for 12V DC TV.
Also supplies DC power for amplifier in antenna head......via ON/OFF switch.

When using antenna switch ON
When using 'cable' switch OFF

Winegard

perfect explanation. Now I know what I'm looking for above the wall plate.

Wijames
Explorer
Explorer
YC 1 wrote:
Old Biscuit explained it but can you tell us what antenna you bought? If you bought a Jack for example it is a direct plug and play head.

I think it is anyway!

Wijames
Explorer
Explorer
YC 1 wrote:
Old Biscuit explained it but can you tell us what antenna you bought? If you bought a Jack for example it is a direct plug and play head.

I bought a Winegard RS-3000 RoadStar White Omni-Directional HDTV Antenna and its direct plug. Looks pretty nice and got good ratings.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Winegard crank-up antenna connects to cable in RV roof.....that cable goes to the Wall Plate.

Cable connection on outside of rig is 'cable' connection. That cable also goes to Wall Plate.

Wall Plate has 12V DC power to it from Fused DC Dist Panel.
12V DC powers 'cigarette lighter' for 12V DC TV.
Also supplies DC power for amplifier in antenna head......via ON/OFF switch.

When using antenna switch ON
When using 'cable' switch OFF

Winegard
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Wijames
Explorer
Explorer
Mich F wrote:
Chances are that connection near your water and electrical connections is/was for a park cable connection. What's on your ceiling under where the old crank up antenna was ? Most likely the wall plate with the plug and switch was the amplifier/booster for the roof antenna. Any sign of the cable outside on the roof, where the antenna was ?

No, there's no sign of anything up there. I plan to pull the plate down tomorrow and see what is run to it and I was hoping that the switch was a booster. Is the outside cable connection normally run to a splitter so you can use either the antenna or outside connection?

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Chances are that connection near your water and electrical connections is/was for a park cable connection. What's on your ceiling under where the old crank up antenna was ? Most likely the wall plate with the plug and switch was the amplifier/booster for the roof antenna. Any sign of the cable outside on the roof, where the antenna was ?
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect