cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paint repair cost

envy_rv
Explorer
Explorer
I damaged our 04 safari cheetah high on the curb side on a tree limb and made an insurance claim. At the same time I asked for an estimate to repaint the front below the windscreen as it has been well stone chipped during its life. The estimate was $7,000 which frankly staggered me. But maybe that is the cost of getting repairs in USA. Can I get advice please from others who have had this done
11 REPLIES 11

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to get the front of my Eagle repainted also because of the same thing some chips and the fact that the previous owner left the bra on continuously and that caused some scarring. I have received quotes of $6,500 from a well respected restoration co., $4,500 from a collision repair shop and $2,500 from an auto repaint shop without a paint booth who I won't use. I am still looking.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
envy rv, do you have the diamond shield (or something similar) on the front? Obviously, it would need to be removed and reinstalled after painting.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

envy_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your posts.
The coach is in Houston TX and I am back in New Zealand for our summer.
I do fully understand the difference between good and bad and multiple colors etc which the coach has on the front. It is stone chipped not damaged
My attempt was to find if $7k is reasonable or is it because I am a foreigner

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a VW bug painted at Earl Sheib years ago...$29.95. I had my custom 34 Ford 3 Window Coupe painted for around $26,000....guess which one looked the best???...I agree with rgatinet1 on this one.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
A.P.R. Clicky
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
Way out of line. Yes! Paint and related supplies are expensive. They not only saw you coming they heard you coming too. 1800.00 to 2100.00 would be more than fair for what you want done.

My question too? Where are you? There is a good shop in Mesa, Az. if you are in that area. It is called A.P.R. Don't have their phone # anymore, but they are on the net. Look'em up.
jwmII

lfilk
Explorer
Explorer
Getting my 34 footer out of the shop tomorrow. Painted about 3 feet up around whole rv. One color for $2000.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Safari coaches were painted with BASF urethane paint and that is very expensive since it is a very high quality paint. You can get the formulas from Industrial Finishes by Contacting:
Barbara O'Donnell
Phone# 541-284-2228
Fax# 541-284-2299

I am not about to say that the quoted prices it too high since I don't know how much they are going to paint, how many colors, and how much body work is required. To do a quality paint job you do not just touch up a deep scratch. You repaint that whole section and then try to blend it in with the surrounding areas, especially on an 11 year old coach. This takes skill that many do not have.
I think that you can safely say that the paint alone, for the colors and clear coat, will be $1000 or more. Then you have to add the body work labor, the numerous masking to be done at various times, and the labor to rub it all out so that it does not appear to be a touch up job, as well as the other materials, and disposal fees.
To say that the price is too high is impossible without knowing all that the shop is going to do. Your coach will be taking up shop and booth space for quite a bit of time to do the job right.
If you want cheap, take it to Mexico where it will be painted outside in a few days and it will look great and it may or may not last for a few years or a few months.
Quality costs money and I am sure that if this is a decent shop they will share some of their past customers for you to talk to.
As a reference, I have seen $20,000+ paint jobs on an automobile. It just depends on where your quality level is.
Custom automobiles are a big thing in NZ. Ask a custom shop what a multi color paint job is going to cost on one of them. I'm sure it will surprise you.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
where are you located and maybe we can give some recommendations for a shop.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
That is "staggering.." Get a couple more estimates from different outfits.
If it is that high, I'd be just fine with leaving the rock chips and keeping the $7000.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
That is about three times what it should be unless there is a lot of fiberglass work as well. Just painting the front should be less than 2,500.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams