cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Perfect BBQ for a B

Lynn0527
Explorer
Explorer
I hope this is the right place for this!

I attended the RV show last weekend and was really happy to finally find the perfect BBQ to go with my B. Small, smokeless, doesn't use charcoal or lighter fuel and comes in pretty colors. I tried it out and it works great. Can easily be packed away in a shelf or small cupboard.

Called the Lotus Grill,

Lynn

http://lotusgrillaustralia.com/

Edited to make link clickable
Admin
2012 Pleasure Way TS Excel
Calgary Alberta
32 REPLIES 32

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
SwanInWA wrote:
That's a great size for the B, Lynn. We generally cook on the open fire, but bought this Coleman RoadTrip Party Grill as a back up for when the weather is bad. It's great for two people and converts to a single burner campstove for heating coffee (or soup!). An inexpensive alternative if you only use it occasionally like we do.

Hmm. I like the Coleman unit. Gonna get one of those. Shouldn't take up much room in my PW TS storage space.
AL

Traveler7
Explorer
Explorer
How easy are those fuel canisters to come by? On Amazon they are 20 bucks for 3 8 oz cans which is not a great price compared to other fuel bottles....otherwise the Iwatani looks pretty cool....
"We are not defined by our limitations, we are defined by our potential"

Road-Trekker
Explorer
Explorer
Nice looking grill, but still looks big for my B. I'm happy with my Iwatani Gas Grill, which is probably the smallest gas grill you can find today.
Roadtrek Agile SS: Roadtrek Modifications

Lynn0527
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I wonder what kind of a mess it will make when grease, etc., drips down on the fan arrangement, etc.? how does it come apart for cleaning?
bumpy

That is the beauty of it. You just take the outer bowl out, lifts off easily and can be cleaned. Very clean and neat. The blower portion is underneath so wouldn't see any drips or drops. That was my first thought, how easy is this to clean. Very. If you use in your balcony at home, you can just throw in the dishwasher, if you have one.

It sounds like I have a part time job selling these things doesn't it. I don't!!!!
Calgary Alberta

Lynn0527
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Islandman wrote:
I'll just stick with disposable grills that you can usually purchase for about $5 on sale, use it then throw away

x2, they do look cute however, for $250/350 or even $100 not worth it.
and I agree, dragging a bag of charcoal along in a B would suck.
bumpy

The thing to remember is the charcoal goes inside the little container which holds maybe 2.5 - 3 cups. You don't use very much and wouldn't haul around a big bag of lighter fluid charcoal. It has to be hardwood charcoal which comes in small packages.

L.
Calgary Alberta

Lynn0527
Explorer
Explorer
ernie1 wrote:
Hey Lynn,
I believe you about the unit being smokeless because you didn't use any charcoal nor lighter gel. I was wondering what your heat source was? The 4 AA batteries must've really have the fan spinning fast enough to create a lot of air turbulence/heat. What's your secret?

Seriously, at $249.95/unit, I'll have to stick to my ole George Foreman grill which I can cook foods just as fast and run it off of my inverter or the generator.

Hi Ernie - the heat source is a hardwood charcoal and the fan super heats it up, which can be controlled with a dial.

I found it to heat fast so it is better to wait a little longer to get the heat more equality distributed. Heats faster in the centre and cooks completely, then move to outside.

L.
Calgary Alberta

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
A year or two ago, we bought a Picnic Time X Grill, or similar, from Walmart I think for about $20. Uses a little charcoal but not much for a few burgers or steaks.

Folds very flat so it fits in wasted space in a galley cabinet.

What I like is easy cleanup if you line it with heavy duty foil. Just close the foil around the remains of ash or cold coals and toss. The little aluminum grilling surface is hinged, so easy to fit in to soak or suds off in the little B sink.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder what kind of a mess it will make when grease, etc., drips down on the fan arrangement, etc.? how does it come apart for cleaning?
bumpy

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Nice sized and I like the blower fan idea. It is very expensive.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Islandman wrote:
I'll just stick with disposable grills that you can usually purchase for about $5 on sale, use it then throw away

x2, they do look cute however, for $250/350 or even $100 not worth it.
and I agree, dragging a bag of charcoal along in a B would suck.
bumpy

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
We really like our Magma

Magma
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
Price aside, I wouldn't go with charcoal in a B, since that takes valuable storage, too. While I was "raised on charcoal", propane does get you going faster & you don't have to wait for embers to cool or find a place to dispose of them. We went with the Coleman Insta Start Portable Grill, but there are other relatively compact options. If willing to make the trade-off for charcoal, the OP's selection looks pretty good.
2013 RT 190-Popular

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer
That's a great size for the B, Lynn. We generally cook on the open fire, but bought this Coleman RoadTrip Party Grill as a back up for when the weather is bad. It's great for two people and converts to a single burner campstove for heating coffee (or soup!). An inexpensive alternative if you only use it occasionally like we do.

Teri (the RV.netter)

Eric (the significant other)

[purple]Angus (the fur-faced kidlet)[/purple]
The B (2008 Pleasure-Way Lexor RL-4)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Lynn,
I believe you about the unit being smokeless because you didn't use any charcoal nor lighter gel. I was wondering what your heat source was? The 4 AA batteries must've really have the fan spinning fast enough to create a lot of air turbulence/heat. What's your secret?

Seriously, at $249.95/unit, I'll have to stick to my ole George Foreman grill which I can cook foods just as fast and run it off of my inverter or the generator.

Ted66
Explorer
Explorer
It looks very nice Lynn - thanks for sharing. I was leaning towards the Volcano 3, but will have to look in to this one a bit more before deciding.

As an aside for those that mentioned it being somewhat spendy, I believe that is 249 Aussie dollars. (About $194 USD)