cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Placing retirement on hold and selling RV

ricelake922
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I own a RV and for those of you who can view all of my previous posts over the last 3 years you will know how much money I have put into this RV and the nightmare of driving from Ontario to Florida where I now am. A gentleman is flying to the RV this Tuesday and states that they want to buy it. It definitely is a "steal of a deal" with all the work and money that is into this RV. I want to thank everyone on this site who have been so helpful. I have learned so much. My job, which is part time...8 shifts per month, gave me a year off to try retirement so I am going back to my job as I really like my job as a Nurse. I truly thought of all alternatives rather than selling like bring RV home and store until I want to get back on the road again but have read all of the negatives on this site for doing this. I just do not want to put any more money into the RV and yes I should have made this decision a long time ago. This RV is just too large for me to be driving by myself and although I have learned a lot I am not mechanical to do work by myself. The trip down to Florida was just too scary and frustrating finding a mechanic who knew how to fix the RV. My plan is to go back to RVing again in about 5 years when I turn 65 and have been looking at Class B+ diesel which is much smaller than I have now and manageable. So thank you again to all of you and this site. Will let you know when sale is final.
15 REPLIES 15

hellfirehydra
Explorer
Explorer
the silverback wrote:
Sounds like you are being smart. Good luck.

I'm sure OP is doing the smart thing.

To OP, when you want to get back to traveling, I would encourage you to check out some smaller travel trailers. Super easy to hook up with a backup camera you yourself. This would give you the option of driving a dead nuts reliable F150/1500 truck of your choice for very little money. If bad luck finds you, a mechanic for those is never more than a few miles away.

Still get to see all the same things and meet all the same people! Smaller travel trailers can be super nice inside!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
After all your frustration, I'm happy to see you've made a decision with your future...sounds like a wise move. As stated above, don't wait too long as we never know what lies around the next curve in the road. Best of luck and hope to hear from you again in the near future....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Think about a class C Ford with a V10 on a F450 frame. I'm not a Class C guy, but think they should be out there. If not then Chevy for sure.

I'm guessing you'll enjoy your RV'ing a lot more with this type of a setup. I've run into couples who's husband can no longer drive and the DW takes the helm and manages very well with this type of a setup.

A B+ is very expensive to buy plus you give up on size, yet still deal with the length. Good luck on your choices.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you are being smart. Good luck.
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Small class C, Winnebago View, Gulfstream Vista Cruiser Mini, or a B+ like a leasure travel van (nearly a C), or any one of a bunch of small C class on gas chassis. I went Sprinter/View and am now wishing I had found a 24 ft gas on a Ford chassis. Anybody can work on it and they don't fail often. I do all of my own work, and this Sprinter has been a learning curve.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad to hear all is well, and you've finally decided on a course of action.

Let me know if you need that unit back home or store it down there, if this gentleman doesn't work out.

Take care neighbour.

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
Sad to see another older home go. Mine is still being repaired.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Camping, like everything else is getting so high tech. It's great when it works and horrible when you have to pay $125 an hour to get it working again. Sure wish I had my old Wilderness 24' travel trailer back. It was so simple about any guy could get it working.

Good luck and best wishes.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you had a great opportunity, to test drive full time retirement.
Maybe, it is not for you. We work part time in our profession, travel etc. (mh) trips and over seas, two three weeks at a time
I am going to retire when they forcibly pull my professional license, at the point of a gun.

But I in no way, mean to judge others and what they do, just saying there are a few of us out there, for whom retirement would be a bad thing, not a good thing. While for many others it is the reverse

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:

All I can add is, travel and do what you want while you are able.
You don't know what life will hand you tomorrow.

Amen to that!
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

DanNJanice
Explorer
Explorer
ricelake922 wrote:
Snip!
The trip down to Florida was just too scary and frustrating finding a mechanic who knew how to fix the RV. My plan is to go back to RVing again in about 5 years when I turn 65 and have been looking at Class B+ diesel which is much smaller than I have now and manageable. So thank you again to all of you and this site. Will let you know when sale is final.

That is exactly why be bought a truck and trailer. Virtually everything on a trailer can be repaired by any competent DIYer or RV mechanic. Anything on the truck can be repaired by the nearest auto dealership or mechanic. Regarding the B+, remember, unless you are pulling a toad, every time you want go anywhere, you will be "breaking camp", putting everything away, and then unpacking it again when you get back.
2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 F250 PSD

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Ricelake, I, too, followed your thread and hated to see the frustration that you experienced.

A class B sounds like it would be a perfect fit for you and more manageable.

Good luck and safe 'future' travels!

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Floridastorm
Explorer
Explorer
ricelake922 wrote:
Hello. I own a 1996 Monaco Dynasty and for those of you who can view all of my previous posts over the last 3 years you will know how much money I have put into this RV and the nightmare of driving from Ontario to Florida where I now am. A gentleman is flying to the RV this Tuesday and states that they want to buy it. It definitely is a "steal of a deal" with all the work and money that is into this RV. I want to thank everyone on this site who have been so helpful. I have learned so much. My job, which is part time...8 shifts per month, gave me a year off to try retirement so I am going back to my job as I really like my job as a Nurse. I truly thought of all alternatives rather than selling like bring RV home and store until I want to get back on the road again but have read all of the negatives on this site for doing this. I just do not want to put any more money into the RV and yes I should have made this decision a long time ago. This RV is just too large for me to be driving by myself and although I have learned a lot I am not mechanical to do work by myself. The trip down to Florida was just too scary and frustrating finding a mechanic who knew how to fix the RV. My plan is to go back to RVing again in about 5 years when I turn 65 and have been looking at Class B+ diesel which is much smaller than I have now and manageable. So thank you again to all of you and this site. Will let you know when sale is final.

For we new folks, who have not had the opportunity to visit your previous messages, can you tell us what specifically were the problems with your motor home that caused you such grief? Did you not have any warranty or extended service plan? Was the motor home new when you bought it? How old was it when you bought it if not new?

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take care and see you out there... later! Also the B+ (later), I'd go gas if you want any type of every day mechanic to be able to fix it if you are not mechanical.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.