cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential purchase of MH

Wjohns02
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the potential purchase of a MH from Oregon. I’m in NC so obviously quite a distance. The transaction would be completed by a third party company by the name of Klamath RCD trucking. According to them the unit would be delivered to me and I would have 5 days to inspect and accept or to return the unit. Funds would be held in escrow for the 5 days.

Just curious if anyone on the forum has ever used a service of this type and how it turned out.

Comments much appreciated.
20 REPLIES 20

Wjohns02
Explorer
Explorer
So final update. Offered to fly out to inspect the unit and complete the transaction there. Seller responded that would not work as she is not where the unit is being stored. I stated she would also not be in NC when the unit arrived for me to inspect it. No response.

Glad I asked a lot questions. Thanks for the input from all.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
I am still betting it's a scam. At least all you will lose is the cost of your airfare. Why not have them take pictures of the RV in front of this trucking company? I promise is a a thing any trucking company does all the time!

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wjohns02 wrote:
Willaild, the representative from the trucking company did indicate the had the unit on their property and indicated they had inspected it for obvious damage and that there was none. They of course indicated this was “normal” business for them but I just could not get over the fact of basically buying something sight unseen even with the “confirmed” right to return it within 5 days.

One additional update. I have offered to fly out, inspect the unit during the 5 day right of refusal and then drive it back to NC myself if it all checks out. Will be interesting to see if I get a response.

Thanks for the clarification. Well, if this is a scam, its a pretty dang elaborate one, haha.

Depending on the terms of the escrow, and just who holds the $$ and how that 5 day right of refusal is spelled out....It just might be worth your while to make the trip out there and look at it, if they agree to such.

Is it possible for you to fly out and look at it *BEFORE* any $$ is tied up in an escrow? I'd do that if you can. That way if you find out it is junk or a scam, you're not out anything but the plane ticket, and you can make that into a fun vacation. 🙂

If it is legitimate, then they should have no problem with your offer there.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Wjohns02
Explorer
Explorer
Willaild, the representative from the trucking company did indicate the had the unit on their property and indicated they had inspected it for obvious damage and that there was none. They of course indicated this was “normal” business for them but I just could not get over the fact of basically buying something sight unseen even with the “confirmed” right to return it within 5 days.

One additional update. I have offered to fly out, inspect the unit during the 5 day right of refusal and then drive it back to NC myself if it all checks out. Will be interesting to see if I get a response.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wjohns02 wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback. To give you the outcome, I followed up on the company and they actually do exist. They are registered with the Oregon Secretary of State. Called and talked with someone at the company ( as far as I know). Also verified with my attorney contact that this a legitimate way to transact business, but as he said for every honest deal there are 99 scams.

Ultimately I offered to use an irrevocable letter of credit through my bank which guaranteed the bank would obligated to pay if the terms of the agreement were met. When the seller declined that offer we walked away.

Again, appreciate the feedback.

Good job. I'm curious, when you talked to the company, did they acknowledge that the unit you were looking at, indeed did exist and they were selling it?

Reason I ask is, I've seen where some scammers will pretend to be an actual company that does exist, and use that company's name to make the deal seem legit. My son almost fell for a scam like that a couple years ago.

Wondering if this was a scam, and they were pretending to be this company and really were just another bunch of scammers. I guess doesn't really matter now.

Anyway, good luck with your search. 🙂
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Wjohns02
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback. To give you the outcome, I followed up on the company and they actually do exist. They are registered with the Oregon Secretary of State. Called and talked with someone at the company ( as far as I know). Also verified with my attorney contact that this a legitimate way to transact business, but as he said for every honest deal there are 99 scams.

Ultimately I offered to use an irrevocable letter of credit through my bank which guaranteed the bank would obligated to pay if the terms of the agreement were met. When the seller declined that offer we walked away.

Again, appreciate the feedback.

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
What would put me on high alert is the fact that the individual/company would be willing to foot the bill for delivery. We live on the east coast and bought our rv from a man in California. My husband flew out, inspected the rv, flew home, and we had a company deliver the rv. We paid, not the owner. I can't imagine that an individual/company would be willing to spend the money on a delivery. Especially on only a potential sale.
Kathy

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Several yrs ago my BIL found a sweet deal over the internet in Florida. After many emails, he informed them he was coming to look at it and was bringing me.
The ad disappeared immediately. Temptation can be so strong sometimes that it clouds our resistance. I believe he would have sent them money to secure the deal if I had not been able to convince him the deal was just too good. After his mind cleared he thanked me for saving him a hefty sum of money. The scammers have a new wrinkle every time, they are very clever.

Do not send money

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
And you have to ask if this is too good to be true????
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Plenty of RVs for sale here in NC. That deal stinks to high heaven.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend who answered an RV ad last year that turned out to be the same scenario. Had a few communications back and forth. When she wrote to them "I have a friend who lives near you and could inspect the motorhome for me"...they never responded.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
This is a pretty typical scam. Please do not fall for it. The money will be held where and by whom? Why would someone who could sell their RV locally risk having to pay shipping in both directions when you don't like it?
In one case, the RV listed was that of a friend of ours. We talked to them and they were no selling. Someone had just taken some pictures from Facebook.
This is 100% a scam. Run! You are guaranteed to lose whatever money you send.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
How about just NO WAY!

Unless you just have too much money you want to share it with a scammer.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Sounds odd enough to make me wary. If I were really interested I'd fly to OR and check it out in person.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS