cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane tank information

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Went to top off my propane tank the other day. I have to use a mirror to view the gauge on the tank. It showed just shy of 3/4 full before I went to the station.

The refill guy said there was no room in the tank to fill it. He then checked all of his equipment and found nothing wrong. I checked the gauge again and it still showed 3/4 full. The "F" mark (for full) was very close to that.

Only then did I notice small sign saying that it was never to be more than 80% full.

OK, so I'm good with that. Just thought I'd pass that info on.

Happy Trails!
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.
12 REPLIES 12

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
And don't think the tank gauge & the indicator on the control panel inside match, when my inside says full, the tank gauge says just a hair higher than 3/4.

80% (a hair higher than 3/4) on your outside gauge should be full so your inside gauge is correct.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Marvin
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
tatest wrote:
Those float gauges seldom calibrate well. When calibrated properly, should be at "F" on the dial when the tank is filled to the maximum level allowed, which would is the level of the "spit" valve, about 75-80% of total tank volume, marked as "water capacity."

Mine goes all the way to the "F" on a fill, but when down to "1/4" the tank is still about half full. A little bit better than having no gauge at all.
And don't think the tank gauge & the indicator on the control panel inside match, when my inside says full, the tank gauge says just a hair higher than 3/4.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those float gauges seldom calibrate well. When calibrated properly, should be at "F" on the dial when the tank is filled to the maximum level allowed, which would is the level of the "spit" valve, about 75-80% of total tank volume, marked as "water capacity."

Mine goes all the way to the "F" on a fill, but when down to "1/4" the tank is still about half full. A little bit better than having no gauge at all.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
Gonzo42 wrote:
Where's the Ka-Boom? There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering Ka-Boom !! Delays, Delays.
I didn't know Marvin the Martian was on this forum!
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

woodgeezer
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago on my commercial Box Van with sleeper I stopped to fill the ASME tank used in the "kitchenette". I was on the Columbia River Gorge and the tanks were buried about 200 feet from the river.
Long story short, it was overfilled and I drove up East to Pendleton, about thirty minutes after filling, a white cloud developed on the side of the truck. I stopped, jumped out and ran When I could only hear a high pitched whistle and no cloud I approached the truck, checked the relief valve and felt the the frosted tank. Did I say it scared the C@^$$# out of me?

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All: Thanks to all for the great discussion on propane. Jim2007
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Gonzo42 wrote:
Where's the Ka-Boom? There was supposed to be and Earth-shattering Ka-Boom !! Delays, Delays.

The day you would like it all to go KA BOOM it won't

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, it's the expansion of the liquid propane, not the gas that can cause the tank to rupture after an overfill.

For those who are interested....

"Propane is sold and stored in portable DOT containers or fixed placement ASME containers. When a container is filled to its proper liquid level it will be approximately 80 percent full. The remaining 20 percent of the container's volume contains propane vapor. This is the propane vapor consumed by your appliances.

The vapor space in the container also provides room for the expansion of liquid propane. Liquid propane has a moderately high coefficient of expansion and accordingly, expands greatly when subjected to temperature increases.

If a container is filled beyond it maximum permitted liquid filling density, a situation may develop in which there will not be enough space available to accommodate the liquid propane's expansion. When an overfilled container is exposed to any temperature increase, the following hazardous conditions may occur:

- The hydrostatic relief valve may actuate (open), discharging liquid propane to the atmosphere.
- Liquid propane could enter your system's distribution lines. This would result in higher than normal operating pressures to your appliances.
- If the container becomes hydrostatic, and the hydrostatic relief valve fails to open, the container could rupture, resulting in serious injury or property damage."
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Where's the Ka-Boom? There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering Ka-Boom !! Delays, Delays.

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth wrote:
Yep,gotta leave room for expansion - if you fill it all the way when it's cold and go to say the desert where it super hot and the already high pressure gas expands-
...โ€ฆ.............. KABOOM !

Hopefully the relief valve will vent it off and it will not go KABOOM. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Yep,gotta leave room for expansion - if you fill it all the way when it's cold and go to say the desert where it super hot and the already high pressure gas expands-
...โ€ฆ.............. KABOOM !
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin