cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Property tax

Micbob4
Explorer
Explorer
My fellow Virginia Rv'ers, how rough is the property tax on your class A? Virginia isn't a toy friendly state.
38 REPLIES 38

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
There are times when I really appreciate living in Montana. Reading threads like this really points it out!
Here, all trailers (regardless of size or type) are given PERMANENT registration. The same goes for all motorcycles, ATVs (yes, ATVs can be street legal), boats, and vehicles 11 years old or older.
The PERMANENT sticker on the license plate can cost 2 to 3 hundred dollars, but it is worth it!
However, when income tax filing time rolls around, I get an urge to move to Wyoming.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Come on Dennis, arenโ€™t you registered in South Dakota?

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
^ Ain't that the truth!

Some states definitely tax more when you take all forms into account.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't tell ME about taxes..:E....Dennis

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
WI has 6% sales tax. 6% income and fairly high property tax. No personal prperty tax. At one time the money went to schools and infrastructure. Our schools are declining roads are shot. Money now goes to corporate welfare. If you are inclined look up Fox Con deal. We paid a high price for them to pollute our wetlands. It is hard to stay but we like our city and cottage on Lake Michigan. Travel 5 months over the winter. Taxes are not my issue but how they are spent concerns me.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Pirate wrote:
Groover wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
No matter where you reside you're going to pay it one way or another. Here in PA there is no property tax on RV,s or vehicles, just sales tax on the front end. We do enjoy however one of the highest, if not the highest, fuel taxes in the nation.

If you don't like it move somewhere else, you may save a little, you may not. It's the price you pay for having roads to move your RV on, public parks with campgrounds of which most are not self sufficient and depend on general fund dollars, and other infrastructure.

I find your high fuel tax to be ironic because my experience has been that PA has the worst roads of anywhere that I have been. Meanwhile, in my home state of TN we some of the lowest fuel taxes and I belive the best roads of anywhere I go. I admit that I have not been to PA in over 10 years. I hope that roads have gotten better for you there.

While I am here and back to the op's question, TN does not have property tax on vehicles, just a 7.5% sales tax and in my county 30$/year for any private vehicle larger than a motorcycle. Some counties have a "wheel tax" which tacks on an extra $25 per vehicle. We also don't have income tax except for interest and dividends and are phasing out the death tax.
PA roads still suck and are the worse I have driven on too. Property taxes and the worse I have seen too. For what I pay in 1400 (per year) in taxes down in TN, equivalent in PA would probably be close to 11 or 12K per year.

Where would they be 11K or 12K? The cities of Pittsburgh or Philadelphia or the counties they are in or surrounding? Possibly before posting you should no what your talking about. My property taxes including school tax in SW PA away from metropolitan areas run $2200 per year on $135K of property value. As far as the roads comparing TN to PA is Apple's to Oranges. You have little in the way of freeze thaw cycles and little need for salt and other road treatment chemicals.
Hey bonehead, I do know what I am talking about. That's great your taxes are low but what kind of spread do you have? I have 11 acres of beautiful wooded land. You can't touch that around the Philly area, period, for what I pay in taxes in TN. So while we are both speaking truthfully in our postings, we did not divulge details to back up our claims yet you decided to slander me by claiming I didn't know what I was talking about. I DO know that the roads in PA suck, I don't care how you slice it, winter or not being the same.

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like TN. no State income Tax, will not effect your pension checks. My DP tags run $109.00 A YEAR SAME AS MY CAR TAGS. You do have a sales tax over 9 %. Property tax and utilities are low.

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:
gcloss wrote:
Charles,

I just moved to Peachtree City in Fayette County last week. I know I have to pay the TAVT on my Ram 2500 & Subaru when I register them this week.

I'm trying to figure out what I will have to pay to transfer the registration from NY to Georgia on my 2015 Jayco Eagle travel trailer.

Maybe you can give me an overview on how the TAVT will work on my travel trailer?

Thanks in advance.

The trailer, being non-motorized, will only require a title transfer fee, something like $20 if I recall (that is on the Tax Commissioners side and I am not up on the exact figures). No tax is due this year. Come your birthday next year, you will renew the registration and at that time pay a registration fee (again no more than $20 I think) and a tax on the assessed value of the trailer, which is 40% of the fair market value times the county's and cities millage rate (or rates) including school taxes. The rates for this year have been set in just the past couple of months for most counties and many cities are still working to set their rates, so the only statewide published rates are for 2016. 2016 Georgia tax millage rates.

For Fayette the following rates were in effect for 2016

FAYETTE BROOKS 0.799 0.000
FAYETTE COUNTY EMS 0.456 0.000
FAYETTE COUNTY FIRE DISTRICT 3.070 0.000
FAYETTE COUNTY INC - BROOKS 4.917 0.000
FAYETTE COUNTY INC - FAYETTEVILLE 4.917 0.000
FAYETTE COUNTY INC - PEACHTREE CITY 4.917 0.000
FAYETTE COUNTY INC - TYRONE 4.917 0.000
FAYETTE COUNTY UNINCORPORATED 4.917 0.000
FAYETTE COUNTY WIDE EMERGENCY SERVICES 0.210 0.000
FAYETTE FAYETTEVILLE 3.874 0.000
FAYETTE PEACHTREE CITY 6.756 0.309
FAYETTE SCHOOL 19.750 1.350
FAYETTE STATE 0.000 0.000
FAYETTE TAD FAYETTEVILLE
FAYETTE TYRONE 2.889 0.000

PTC has its own fire and ambulance so you do not pay the Fayette EMS or county fire dist. except for the county wide EMS.

Fayette has some of the best schools in the state, so don't gripe about the millage rate, many of the worst counties have millage rates only slightly less than that.

County tax is 4.917
City tax is 6.756
School tax is 19.750
Countywide EMS tax is 0.210
Total = 31.633 mills

EDIT: I forgot the bond retirement millage numbers in the right column.
PTC Bond 0.309
School Bond 1.350
Total = 1.659
Grand total = 33.292

Move your decimal three places to the left and you get .033292
If your Jayco is worth $20K fair market, then the assessed value is $8000 and this times the .033292 equals $266.34 in tax plus the small tag fee.

Charles

Charles,

Thanks for the information. It is a big help.
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
gcloss wrote:
Charles,

I just moved to Peachtree City in Fayette County last week. I know I have to pay the TAVT on my Ram 2500 & Subaru when I register them this week.

I'm trying to figure out what I will have to pay to transfer the registration from NY to Georgia on my 2015 Jayco Eagle travel trailer.

Maybe you can give me an overview on how the TAVT will work on my travel trailer?

Thanks in advance.

The trailer, being non-motorized, will only require a title transfer fee, something like $20 if I recall (that is on the Tax Commissioners side and I am not up on the exact figures). No tax is due this year. Come your birthday next year, you will renew the registration and at that time pay a registration fee (again no more than $20 I think) and a tax on the assessed value of the trailer, which is 40% of the fair market value times the county's and cities millage rate (or rates) including school taxes. The rates for this year have been set in just the past couple of months for most counties and many cities are still working to set their rates, so the only statewide published rates are for 2016. 2016 Georgia tax millage rates.

For Fayette the following rates were in effect for 2016

FAYETTE BROOKS 0.799 0.000
FAYETTE COUNTY EMS 0.456 0.000
FAYETTE COUNTY FIRE DISTRICT 3.070 0.000
FAYETTE COUNTY INC - BROOKS 4.917 0.000
FAYETTE COUNTY INC - FAYETTEVILLE 4.917 0.000
FAYETTE COUNTY INC - PEACHTREE CITY 4.917 0.000
FAYETTE COUNTY INC - TYRONE 4.917 0.000
FAYETTE COUNTY UNINCORPORATED 4.917 0.000
FAYETTE COUNTY WIDE EMERGENCY SERVICES 0.210 0.000
FAYETTE FAYETTEVILLE 3.874 0.000
FAYETTE PEACHTREE CITY 6.756 0.309
FAYETTE SCHOOL 19.750 1.350
FAYETTE STATE 0.000 0.000
FAYETTE TAD FAYETTEVILLE
FAYETTE TYRONE 2.889 0.000

PTC has its own fire and ambulance so you do not pay the Fayette EMS or county fire dist. except for the county wide EMS.

Fayette has some of the best schools in the state, so don't gripe about the millage rate, many of the worst counties have millage rates only slightly less than that.

County tax is 4.917
City tax is 6.756
School tax is 19.750
Countywide EMS tax is 0.210
Total = 31.633 mills

EDIT: I forgot the bond retirement millage numbers in the right column.
PTC Bond 0.309
School Bond 1.350
Total = 1.659
Grand total = 33.292

Move your decimal three places to the left and you get .033292
If your Jayco is worth $20K fair market, then the assessed value is $8000 and this times the .033292 equals $266.34 in tax plus the small tag fee.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pirate wrote:
Groover wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
No matter where you reside you're going to pay it one way or another. Here in PA there is no property tax on RV,s or vehicles, just sales tax on the front end. We do enjoy however one of the highest, if not the highest, fuel taxes in the nation.

If you don't like it move somewhere else, you may save a little, you may not. It's the price you pay for having roads to move your RV on, public parks with campgrounds of which most are not self sufficient and depend on general fund dollars, and other infrastructure.

I find your high fuel tax to be ironic because my experience has been that PA has the worst roads of anywhere that I have been. Meanwhile, in my home state of TN we some of the lowest fuel taxes and I belive the best roads of anywhere I go. I admit that I have not been to PA in over 10 years. I hope that roads have gotten better for you there.

While I am here and back to the op's question, TN does not have property tax on vehicles, just a 7.5% sales tax and in my county 30$/year for any private vehicle larger than a motorcycle. Some counties have a "wheel tax" which tacks on an extra $25 per vehicle. We also don't have income tax except for interest and dividends and are phasing out the death tax.
PA roads still suck and are the worse I have driven on too. Property taxes and the worse I have seen too. For what I pay in 1400 (per year) in taxes down in TN, equivalent in PA would probably be close to 11 or 12K per year.

Where would they be 11K or 12K? The cities of Pittsburgh or Philadelphia or the counties they are in or surrounding? Possibly before posting you should no what your talking about. My property taxes including school tax in SW PA away from metropolitan areas run $2200 per year on $135K of property value. As far as the roads comparing TN to PA is Apple's to Oranges. You have little in the way of freeze thaw cycles and little need for salt and other road treatment chemicals.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
Georgia used to tax you every year when you got your tag but now you pay a one time use/sales tax of 6.7%. At 62 years old, $36K of income tax (6%)/person is free and at 65 it goes to $65K each making GA retirement friendly. Depending on the county, property taxes are very low...$7/1000 dollars of value, BUT in the Atlanta area it can be double that amount.

In Georgia the tax is known as the Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT). It is literally a tax on the value of the title. There are no sales or use taxes on MOTOR vehicles in Georgia. Trailers such as cargo, utility, travel trailers, fivers, etc, are still taxed each year on the particular county's millage rate where the trailer is registered (which if you have a homestead exemption, must be the county of residence).

The TAVT applies to any vehicle re-titled, purchased, or brought into the state. Some tax rates are lower for transfers within family, and the rate is currently 7% and is frozen thru 2018. after that a re-evaluation of the tax rate will be preformed and the state can raise or leave alone the precentage. It is capped at 9% by law.

For a short period of time after the TAVT went into effect, owners of vehicles purchased prior to March 1, 2013 were allowed to switch to the new system, however that has passed into history. When a vehicle under the old system is transferred to a new owner, the vehicle falls under the new system.

As with almost any tax, you have a right to appeal of the value, and you appeal that value to the Board of Assessors in the county in which you registered and titled the vehicle. You must pay the full tax in good faith while the appeal is on-going. They are usually handled in a very timely manner as the locals BOA's really do not want to handle these appeals and have established procedures to expedite the appeals.

Disclosure: I am the chairman of the county Board of Assessors of the county in which I reside in Georgia.

Charles

Vehicles purchased prior to March 1, 2013

Charles,

Thanks in advance.
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Georgia used to tax you every year when you got your tag but now you pay a one time use/sales tax of 6.7%. At 62 years old, $36K of income tax (6%)/person is free and at 65 it goes to $65K each making GA retirement friendly. Depending on the county, property taxes are very low...$7/1000 dollars of value, BUT in the Atlanta area it can be double that amount.

In Georgia the tax is known as the Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT). It is literally a tax on the value of the title. There are no sales or use taxes on MOTOR vehicles in Georgia. Trailers such as cargo, utility, travel trailers, fivers, etc, are still taxed each year on the particular county's millage rate where the trailer is registered (which if you have a homestead exemption, must be the county of residence).

The TAVT applies to any vehicle re-titled, purchased, or brought into the state. Some tax rates are lower for transfers within family, and the rate is currently 7% and is frozen thru 2018. after that a re-evaluation of the tax rate will be preformed and the state can raise or leave alone the precentage. It is capped at 9% by law.

For a short period of time after the TAVT went into effect, owners of vehicles purchased prior to March 1, 2013 were allowed to switch to the new system, however that has passed into history. When a vehicle under the old system is transferred to a new owner, the vehicle falls under the new system.

As with almost any tax, you have a right to appeal of the value, and you appeal that value to the Board of Assessors in the county in which you registered and titled the vehicle. You must pay the full tax in good faith while the appeal is on-going. They are usually handled in a very timely manner as the locals BOA's really do not want to handle these appeals and have established procedures to expedite the appeals.

Disclosure: I am the chairman of the county Board of Assessors of the county in which I reside in Georgia.

Charles

Vehicles purchased prior to March 1, 2013
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
$13K is peanuts for some people. LOL sure for like the 1/4% of people in NA and most of those have new prevosts or no MH at all

Micbob4
Explorer
Explorer
Ozlander wrote:
gutfelt wrote:
Micbob4 wrote:

It's now $6.55 for every $100 of appraised value.

that's $13,300.00 on 200K I cant believe theres a person alive out there that would pay that tax

$13K is peanuts for some people.

True! But not me. LOL. I do find the perception from some (nobody here, from people I've met) that assume because you own a class A RV you can afford anything. I am not wealthy by no means, just your average hard working family that has low house payment, aging and has chosen to do the RV thing as opposed to possible second home. So fitting this into are budget is fine but not if it's costing lots more in taxes. Enough of my rant, I truly appreciate all of your input you guys are awesome! Happy RVing everyone, go out and live life!