Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Purchased RV leak over cab, now what?

cbsurfmom
Explorer
Explorer
Hi RVers,

Well, we purchased this RV 2 months ago and are now planning a trip for Oct so thought I'd go clean it out and this is where I'm at (see pics). The outside walls are loose and we were told that it's from sitting around the sun which didn't seem to affect it structurally. Yes, we were told there had been leaks but that they were repaired and it did not leak when we bought it (the hose trick). Anyhow, it's still leaking a tiny bit on the rt side of the cab over part. The real problem is all the damage that did occur w/the past leaks. Several questions, is this 'fixable'? I tend to say yes, everything is able to repair but it's gonna cost $$, but how much?. This could get much uglier before it gets better. I'm willing to do this work, of course I'm now roping my husband into it, he thought I was just cleaning the rig :B Any suggestions on where to start. What is the best stuff to use for these seams? My plan... First, seal the leak, I checked out Eterna Bond and that seems awesome but what about marine epoxy? Second, gut the cab over floor and walls? Third, sell it now don't mess with it? Four, do the work but how long will this take? Thanks for any input!
RV Mom-writer
RV Dad-chef
RV Kid
RV Dog
58 REPLIES 58

cbsurfmom
Explorer
Explorer
winnietrey wrote:

Could possible last a long time. Not the proper way to do it, but may well work

It's a 1990 Coach Leprechaun paid almost 5K for it. I like your thinking! I'm not going to be going to RV parks. This set up is more for being off grid, not that we don't enjoy people but our budget doesn't allow for that type of RVing, besides, I like camping, just not sleeping in a tent any longer. What is git rot? Thanks for the encouragement!
RV Mom-writer
RV Dad-chef
RV Kid
RV Dog

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
Unless I missed it, you don't mention how old the rig is, and how much you paid for it. If older and you got it cheap. If it were me I would be tempted to band aid it. I would use dicor self leveling caulk, then go over that with very generous portions of etrnabond tape. Make not look to pretty, but I would think it could well stop the leaks.

As for the rotted wood maybe replace what you can and hit the rest with git rot.

Could possible last a long time. Not the proper way to do it, but may well work

cbsurfmom
Explorer
Explorer
Mocoondo wrote:

No use just calking up the roof and calling it good. You probably have a lot of water damage up there.

That's just what I want to do, patch the roof. Why not? It's pretty dry except for one little spot on the front right of the roof, I mean tiny. I think the main leak now is coming in from the side where there's a patch. I was just going to put some Kilz on the wood inside and hit the road Oct. 5th and deal with the rest over the winter?
RV Mom-writer
RV Dad-chef
RV Kid
RV Dog

cbsurfmom
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, as you can see the old patch on the roof, which I've never been on because of my fear of heights, I was brave today and put on my big girl panties so I could see what the heck was going on up there. Bad patch job, a former solar panel got ripped off.
RV Mom-writer
RV Dad-chef
RV Kid
RV Dog

cbsurfmom
Explorer
Explorer
So, I'm done with the demo part. I found the 2 leaks, pretty straight forward since it rained all evening and morning. One is coming in the side the other from the roof. See new pics I uploaded. What is the best patching material. Marine epoxy, eternal bond? Any suggestions appreciated. I figure if I can fix the leak, I'm home free. Instead of doing the cab over like it was done from the manufacturer we're reinforcing it by adding some more support beams so to speak and then adding some insulation and the plywood. It's a sleeping loft for my 7 yo. should work. We'll just have to watch our heads.[img][/img]
RV Mom-writer
RV Dad-chef
RV Kid
RV Dog

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
2x on marker lights.

rbrand
Explorer
Explorer
odds are it is the clearance lights that are leaking.
The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
cbsurfmom wrote:
Mocoondo wrote:

All things considered, I'd probably cancel my October camping trip.

Wahhaa :E Really? You don't think I can do this in a week? I figured 40 hrs.? I hate being an example of what not to do but thanks for the response.

Perhaps your skill set permits that to be done in a week. I'm a professional and I couldn't get that done in a week.

Looking at the outside right upper bunk photo, all the signs were there that a major problem exists/existed. At least you knew what you were getting into. Bottom line is to get the roof opened up and see what sort of damage you have up there and then formulate a plan to fix it right. No use just calking up the roof and calling it good. You probably have a lot of water damage up there.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
couldn't see you other pictures on photobucket yet, but it all looks fixable, especially if you are handy.. Is the cabover part tgoing to be storage or a bunk?? Just make sure everything is waterpoof and no leaks to start, then its just a customizing job. Sure, it will cost a bit, better to spend a bit more and do it right the first time, than to take shortcuts and have to do it over again.

Edit: I did get to see your other pictures on PB. I think I would start on the outside and get all that fixed and leaks stopped.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
40hrs per day. yep you can do it in a week , get to it no coffee breaks and put the pedal to the metal. get a plan and stick to it. after all on tv they rebuild cars in 30 minutes. no kidding this is a big job, but I,d help if I was close.

cbsurfmom
Explorer
Explorer
Mocoondo wrote:

Wahhaa :E Really? You don't think I can do this in a week? I figured 40 hrs.? I hate being an example of what not to do but thanks for the response.
RV Mom-writer
RV Dad-chef
RV Kid
RV Dog

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
What a mess.

Well, to start with, let this be a lesson to everyone about getting a proper pre-purchase inspection before buying.

As to your situation, obviously the first item of business is to determine the extent of the damage and remove all the damaged components.

Second, stop the water leak. Obviously, I would peel up the roof in the upper bunk area to see how much of the wood under the EPDM is damaged. Might as well correct that while you are doing this.

Finally, finish the rebuild.

If you decide to have it professionally done, you're probably looking at between $3500 and $4000 for an upper bunk rebuild.

cbsurfmom
Explorer
Explorer
This photobucket thing is new to me but there are 4 pics on there of my 'project'.
RV Mom-writer
RV Dad-chef
RV Kid
RV Dog

cbsurfmom
Explorer
Explorer
[img][/img]
RV Mom-writer
RV Dad-chef
RV Kid
RV Dog