cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pusher squealing belt

KampingKris
Explorer
Explorer
Thought it was the fan belt... a new one did solve it for awhile, but now the squeal is back. We're told it might be a idler pulley. And of course, we are on the Oregon coast. We're going to limp it another couple of hours to our destination for the week and then hopefully we can find a mobile mechanic to take a look and replace. We'll be in the Longview/Kelso area. Suggestions on who to call? And yes, we have an extra fan belt just in case.
KampingKris & FiremanSteve
Jada - American Eskie princess
2008 Tiffin Allergro Bus
2010 Polaris 850XP
2010 Polaris RZR
7 REPLIES 7

KampingKris
Explorer
Explorer
A very helpful mechanic did consult over the phone with pics and advice. Turns out it was the compressor for the air conditioner. Without that belt, the noise is gone. So, we'll drive home without air conditioning and get it fixed at the dealer.
While we are at the dealer, we'll have them check for a manifold leak...
KampingKris & FiremanSteve
Jada - American Eskie princess
2008 Tiffin Allergro Bus
2010 Polaris 850XP
2010 Polaris RZR

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
We have had excellent service at McKay Truck in Albany, OR just off the I 5. You can even over night there.

AKBOB
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the cummins 400hp isl, I would look for a manifold leak. Sounds just like a squeal or whistle. I had mine checked at cummins NW in Coburg, OR. They replaced the manifold because it was warped too much to repair. It is a known issue. Look for black soot around the #3 cylinder. That's where my leak was. Will cost about $900 to replace. Good news is the replacement manifold is re-designed and with proper torquing, it should never be an issue again.

Bob
2007 Newmar DutchStar 4304
Toad - 2008 Ford Edge
Alaskan living in Arizona with DW and a Main Coon Cat

Fleet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered talking to the Monaco Service Center in Coburg, OR on I-5 and determining if they can help you? Engine mechanical is engine mechanical no matter what brand the coach.
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
What engine-- most newer diesel engines have automatic tensioners.

Agree, you need to have bearings in accessories and tensioner checked along with the tensioner itself.

Here is a good short video by Gates Corp of a good/bad tensioner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTLV5IU_IMM
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
When in doubt go to a Cummins repair place...they can re-tension the belt(s)
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest you recheck the tension on the new belts. Just because they are new doesn't mean that they won't squeal just like old ones if they are slippin.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox