cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about slide seal

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
On my slides I have a wiper seal that I have a question about. The seal long lip is sometimes outside the opening like in the below picture. I think that is the way it is supposed to be when the slide is extended. Sometimes on the bedroom slide, the lip stays inside the opening all the way around the slide. I guess the best way to describe it is 'inverted'. Is it alright for it to be inverted or do I need to make sure the lip is outside?

:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C
14 REPLIES 14

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tinstar wrote:
OK, last question,,,,, maybe. How wide of tape 1" or 2"?

I used the 2" wide tape.

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
OK, last question,,,,, maybe. How wide of tape 1" or 2"?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I put the sandpaper like stair tread tape on my slides to flip the seal. I mounted it about midway on the slide so it flips the seal each way as the slide is extending or retracting. I am now approaching 90,000 miles with this coach and if the tape is causing any wear on the rubber seal, you can't tell it.
I should add that this flip seal is not the main seal for my slide. When retraced there is a bubble type seal that prevents moisture from getting in to the coach. When extended, a similar bubble type seal is used to keep out moisture. The flip type seal is sort of the first line of defense.

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
I used to just leave the bedroom slide inverted but have used the awning hook to pull the wiper to the outside sometimes. I thought it had to be out to seal it in the rain/wind. Glad that's not the case because it is tight getting it to the outside.

For the tread tape, is that the stuff that is rough but still slick or is it the kind that is like a heavy grit sandpaper? AND where should I put it on the slide if I decide to use it? I would think close to the end of the slide travel as opposed to when it first starts moving but it may not make any difference.

I have waxed the sides on my slides and I understand that talcum powder is what is used to treat them.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
My Monaco use to do that quite often. In really cold weather, I would take the time to use the awning rod like others do. Hook the awning puller end under the seal, twist a little to one side and pull downward.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
I too used the awning hook to flip it out if I thought about it. It didn't matter in any case.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Our first 5th wheel would do that on all the slides. I would use the hook on the awning rod and get it behind the seal and gently run it down the length of the slide to flip it out.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Waxing the exposed slide out sides with car wax will also help a bit and I think anyway, make the slide seal/wiper do a better job since the wax will help the water run off.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing wrong with that really. When the slide goes in it will "scrape" off all the junk that accumulated.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
hohenwald48 wrote:
Someone suggested the "loop" half of a strip of Velcro tape instead of step tread tape. It's less abrasive and does the same job.

The Tread type tape is thinner and works better. No problem with abrasion. Also, some OEM's installed Tread tape on their sidewalls for this "problem". Doug

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Someone suggested the "loop" half of a strip of Velcro tape instead of step tread tape. It's less abrasive and does the same job.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Those are 'wipers' not seals
They wipe sides/top of moisture and debris
They function as designed regardless if they 'flip' or don't

Not a concern
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like it is right. The seal should "flip" whenever the slie is extended or retracted, but as they get older and the seal gets stiffer, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Some people recommend putting a strip of step tread material on the side of the slide to help flip the seal. I usually just don't worry about it, but if we are going to be in the same place for a while, I will usually go around and flip ours if necessary.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The wipe seal is not required to flip completely out or in. That is not the true seal when extended or retracted.
If it concerns you can install sandpaper type tape on the sidewall to rub the seal completly in and out. Doug