cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question of license requirements across states

Rjmckay
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys... Forgive if this is a common question, but I didn't see it.

So my state only requires a standard license. My question is... If I drive across country will I need to meet licensing requirements of each state or Candian Providence I went through? Or will it be considered... I meet the requirements of my issued state so that's good enough even if I'm in a CDL state/Providence?

Thanks guys!

Rj
22 REPLIES 22

Rjmckay
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
Apparently, not ALL states are signatories of the Compact!
From Wikipedia:
"Georgia, Wisconsin, Massachusetts, Michigan, and Tennessee are not members.[2] American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators:[3] Nevada repealed the authorizing legislation in 2007,[4] although it still generally conforms to the agreement through regulations.[2]

Actually, this applies to the reporting of violations, but it is reasonable to think that it also applies to licensing reciprocity. While a state may not be a signatory of the Reciprocity Agreements, it is doubtful that any such state would refuse to recognize a license from another state.

Wow! Awesome information. Thanks.

Never dreamt this thread would take off like it did... But being new to the community, I have learned so much from all of you already. Thank you. 🙂

Rj

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently, not ALL states are signatories of the Compact!
From Wikipedia:
"Georgia, Wisconsin, Massachusetts, Michigan, and Tennessee are not members.[2] American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators:[3] Nevada repealed the authorizing legislation in 2007,[4] although it still generally conforms to the agreement through regulations.[2]

Actually, this applies to the reporting of violations, but it is reasonable to think that it also applies to licensing reciprocity. While a state may not be a signatory of the Reciprocity Agreements, it is doubtful that any such state would refuse to recognize a license from another state.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
As others have said, your license is honored in every state, just as if you were driving a car. If you're legal to drive your RV in your home state, you can drive it anywhere in the country.

There is no state that requires a CDL to drive a personal RV for noncommercial uses. Some states do require different classes of driver's licenses for their residents, and often these classes parallel the CDL classes, but such licenses are not commercial driver's licenses and do not have the same requirements for logging hours and submitting to drug tests and getting approved physicals and so on.

Several years ago PA introduced Class A & B non-CDL licenses which are as you described. When my last renewal for my CDL came due I was well into retirement and found that by downgrading to the non-CDL my renewal was about half the price and allowed the same things the CDL did except as you stated there was no requirement for physicals, etc. The limitation is I can't drive for pay. Although I haven't really checked into it the non-CDL class A may not allow for doubles and triples like my CDL did.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
As others have said, your license is honored in every state, just as if you were driving a car. If you're legal to drive your RV in your home state, you can drive it anywhere in the country.

There is no state that requires a CDL to drive a personal RV for noncommercial uses. Some states do require different classes of driver's licenses for their residents, and often these classes parallel the CDL classes, but such licenses are not commercial driver's licenses and do not have the same requirements for logging hours and submitting to drug tests and getting approved physicals and so on.

luvlabs
Explorer
Explorer
While all states grant reciprocity for driving licenses, this reciprocity doesn't apply to anything else related to your coach. If your state doesn't require toad brakes but the state you are passing through does, you are violating their laws. If your state allows double towing and the state adjacent does not, you can be stopped and ticketed (more likely forced to disconnect). So you do have to pay attention to traffic laws that apply to your vehicle in the state you are in.
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (sold)
2012 Tiffin Allegro 32CA (traded)
2012 Honda Fit

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
Rjmckay wrote:
Good to know, I did not know that. when you say proof of insurance, not just the card, are you referring to the binder?

Thanks!
Just the card.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

Rjmckay
Explorer
Explorer
GGoodsell wrote:
In the U.S. it is a Constitutional right that all legal licenses from one state are honored in all others. That includes driver's licenses. Also marriage licenses...can you imagine having to get married again every time you cross a state line on your cross-country trip?

This has gone off topic... But this is wrong. It is not a constitutional right. In fact, TECHNICALLY you are not married in each state you move to. However, each state recognizes it as well as the IRS. I can go on, but it would really take this into a tangent that has noting to do with RVs. 🙂

Rj

Actually. It is in the constitution. 10th amendment: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not all legal licenses are recognized across all states. In fact most are probably not. Most professional licenses are not recognized across all states. For example lawyers generally have to be licensed in each state they practice in. Same with doctors, private investigators, and many others. Many states do recognize each others licenses and have reciprocal agreements.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, it is: the Full faith and credit" clause.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
GGoodsell wrote:
In the U.S. it is a Constitutional right that all legal licenses from one state are honored in all others. That includes driver's licenses. Also marriage licenses...can you imagine having to get married again every time you cross a state line on your cross-country trip?

Is that actually in the constitution? What about hunting/fishing licenses? 🙂

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
GGoodsell wrote:

Hold on there! Lets not confuse anyone! You don't have to be married to drive a class "A" but you do need two incomes to pay for the fuel.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
GGoodsell wrote:

That would be easier than getting a drivers license from each state :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

GGoodsell
Explorer
Explorer

Rjmckay
Explorer
Explorer
That is useful to know MSmith. Thank you!

BTW... I'm new to RV... Haven't even bought one yet... But I am already loving this forum. People here are so great, friendly, and genuinely helpful. 🙂

Rj