cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quickee steps open and will not go in

n4hwl
Explorer
Explorer
I bought these Quickee automatic steps (2 step model) about 5 years ago. During this trip out west the steps stayed out and will not come in no matter what I do. I did pull the pin and wire them up till I get home in another week or so. I need some help finding the problem. I find no shot fuses in the fuse block that controls these steps. I have tried turning on the ignition key and they will not come in. I have tried taking the magnetic switch apart and shorting across the wires and nothing happens. I have 12 volts to the red wire at the 4 conductor quick disconnect under the steps. I tried tapping on the step gear mechanism with no results. I need to find a wiring diagram and trouble shooting guide to these steps. I am afraid the " brain" to the steps may have died like on my last steps. I hope not. Anyone have any suggestions or can guide me to a web site that may help me trouble shoot these things?

Thanks

Ken
2014 Tiffin Zephyr
11 REPLIES 11

lordnorth
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you check the proximity sensor that "tells" the steps when the door is closed. Just had that go bad on my 2011 Mirada. Opened the door and nearly fell out because the steps didn't extend.

Searched all over the place, started and shut down the engine, pulled fuses... finally figured out if I tapped on the sensor it would extend. Close the door it would retract. Open, nothing until I tapped on the sensor.

Wondering if it might just make more sense to get rid of the sensor altogether and just make it so that it is either in or out based on a manual switch. Do I really NEED it to go closed every time I close the door? Can't think of why I would since it retracts any time the ignition is turned on.

gwheel
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that an outfit in Mechanicsburg, Pa. called flight systems repairs some of the kiwkee boards, and they also sell their version of onan boards and voltage regulators. They are less money also, with a better warranty. They can be found on line. I recently bought a VR from them for my generator, and it was about 180 bucks less than the onan, with a 3 yr warranty. Of course if its the motor that is bad, then controller might be ok. Good luck, Geo

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Have the steps been lubed regularly. If the step binds it will just stop because that is what the controller does. Current draw goes up when they bind and that is what the controller does.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lt46 wrote:
Not sure what happened to my controller but 3 months ago I had a distinct electrical burning smell at the stairs, crawled under and saw a darkening brown spot develop on the white plastic of the controller. Pulled the connector apart and the smell diminished. Obviously the controller fried. Given the age of my moho,I opted for a work-around, installing a toggle switch and wiring direct to the motor bypassing the controller. It works just fine but have lost all automatic functions like "key on-stairs go up" and "door open-stairs open" etc.etc. It's a bit of a learning curve, but now have operating stairs for $10.00 in switch and wire.
The dark brown spot was you relay that burned up. My relay was black where it burned but the cover is an opaque thermoplastic kind of yellow with age so it looked brown.

Lt46
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure what happened to my controller but 3 months ago I had a distinct electrical burning smell at the stairs, crawled under and saw a darkening brown spot develop on the white plastic of the controller. Pulled the connector apart and the smell diminished. Obviously the controller fried. Given the age of my moho,I opted for a work-around, installing a toggle switch and wiring direct to the motor bypassing the controller. It works just fine but have lost all automatic functions like "key on-stairs go up" and "door open-stairs open" etc.etc. It's a bit of a learning curve, but now have operating stairs for $10.00 in switch and wire.
Peter & Dawn
[black] 97 Winnebago Adventurer 37RW [/black]
F53/460 w/ tag axle
[black] 96 Prowler 27X SOLD[/black]
IAFF L-792 (Ret.)

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
CT_WANDERER wrote:
I had the somewhat of the same problem. My motor would pull the steps I,n but would not push them out. I could undo the motor move the steps a little than hook the motor up and it would go out then pull them in when needed to. But than would not push them out. Had to go the same step. Remove the motor taken the load of it. Than it would work. Every thing test good. Replaced the motor, working great now, just like new.

That old motor must have had a bad spot in the rotor windings and wouldn't let it energize when it was in that position. Used to happen to starter motors, and usually a good firm hit with a hammer would solve the problem. :B
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I had the somewhat of the same problem. My motor would pull the steps I,n but would not push them out. I could undo the motor move the steps a little than hook the motor up and it would go out then pull them in when needed to. But than would not push them out. Had to go the same step. Remove the motor taken the load of it. Than it would work. Every thing test good. Replaced the motor, working great now, just like new.

BigBlockTank
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds kinda like the control unit to me.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like you have the trouble shooting guide now. It is straight forward on how to test each section of the system. It sounds like the control unit but test to be sure. When mine was acting this way I found the control unit bad. My problem was that you could not buy just the control unit but needed to buy a whole new unit because it was too old. If you determine the control unit to be bad the unit has 2 relays inside .6 screws need to be removed to see the control board. If you see an burned relay you found the problem. The details of this fix can be found by searching under gjac kwickee steps.

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link by the folks at Power Gear on troubleshooting your Kwikee Steps
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

n4hwl