cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Real Basic Question on Motorhome Construction

I-10bound
Explorer
Explorer
In general class C and A motorhomes are constructed as large "boxes", with a corner strip running along the 90 degree angles. How did this come to be the primary construction design of motorhomes? It just seems like water would eventually find it's way under that strip. Why don't motorhomes use a large, one piece topper, such those in Class B vans? It seems like that would hold up much better over time. Better yet, why don't they construct the whole outer shell of the house with fiberglass? Think of a motorhome version of a Scamp trailer. Maybe it wouldn't provide enough flex with the chassis, or something?

I'm new to motorhomes as you can tell, I'm just trying to understand the basics. Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

monchichi6
Explorer
Explorer
duffy wrote:
I believe that the Born Free brand of motorhomes provides the best quality construction. We bought ours used because of that reputation and have not been disappointed. They hold their value big time.

I have a 1989 Born Free and love the fiberglass shell. I was looking at other brands but kept coming back to Lazy Daze and Born Free. Got lucky on a good price for the Born Free and so far so good! ๐Ÿ™‚

I did have to have the roof vents and such sealed. That was $1100. Had a mystery leak around the main roof vent over the living area. As it's mainly fiberglass, the fact they charged me for 10 cans of self-leving Dicor was suspect. But I just wanted it done. Better never leak again. At least for a few years at that price!

Happy travels all...

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
The construction techniques used are what is needed produce an RV that can be priced to sell a targeted number of units. The construction you describe is what you find priced to sell into the highest volume markets.

Other construction methods are used at higher price points, including molded roof caps atop straight walls of varied construction (on type A motorhomes) and molded shells for the whole house.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
The old GMC motorhomes used a construction technique along these lines (though not fiberglass for the upper portion), and have aged very well. They had a number of other innovative design features as well, that would still be considered innovative if introduced today. (The front wheel drive system, coupled with the unique rear suspension, allowed for a low floor height and hence overall height, for one example.)

duffy
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that the Born Free brand of motorhomes provides the best quality construction. We bought ours used because of that reputation and have not been disappointed. They hold their value big time.
26' RSB Born Free Class C

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing"

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen fiberglass molds for really big boats so even a 45 foot motor home should pose no problem, it is all about how fast and economical can they manufacture the unit and sell it for a lot of money versus quality and craftsmanship, most folks will trade them in in a couple of years anyway so the devaluation is enormous, the same as cars.

navegator

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
This line of Class C motorhomes is probably the best - if you don't mind gas over diesel and not counting expedition type rigs - available in the U.S.:

http://www.coachhouserv.com/model-platinum-main.php

Here's some comments regarding these rigs:

- Their shell is all one piece of molded fiberglass.

- They're built only on the Ford E450 chassis (see below).

- They come in various lengths, with the shortest length model being the smallest U.S. Class C I've ever found built on the Ford E450 chassis. Their shorter length models based on the E450 chassi provide "chassis overkill" for outstanding towing capacity, over-the-top extra weight carrying capacity, long brake life, excellent relative engine/transmission cooling, extra frame stiffness for use on moderately rough off-pavement roads, and a wider rear dually stance for added stabiltiy on curves and in strong cross-winds.

- They might ride rougher than equivalantly sized Class C motorhomes based on the Ford E350 or Sprinter chassis.

- Their grey and black tank sizes are just "barely OK" for comfortable Class C dry camping ... with their fresh water tank sizes being too small for my liking. Their fuel tank and propane tank sizes are excellent.

- Their options list is excellent for Class C motorhomes.

- But ... good luck being able to afford them new ... or find them used!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's ALWAYS about the $$....
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Think about the size of the fiberglass mold, and how many different ones they would have to have for the number of different sizes they produce. Much cheaper and faster to build a box, slap a piece of siding up then just cut away the places for doors, windows, and slide out.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I gue$$ the RV builder$ have their rea$on$ to be a$ economical a$ po$$ible. ๐Ÿ™‚