cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rear brakes smokin'!!

Hatman
Explorer
Explorer
On I 95 north of Baltimore. Very heavy 60 mph to zero and back to 60 again, over and over and over. Started smelling something hot and the TPS fired off on both of the rear inner duals being over temp. Thought I saw smoke so I pulled over at the next exit. Indeed. Smoke coming out of right rear wheel wheel. Tire temp not too hot, no visible oil or fluid. As best I can tell it's coming from the rear brake shoes. Let it cool down for 20 minutes and have now driven to a Flying J for dinner and give them a chance to cool. Any thoughts on the cause? I was just at Spartan and they didn't uncover any issues. What proportions the front vs rear braking in these? Any other words of advice?

Mark
1999 American Eagle
18 REPLIES 18

mci7
Explorer
Explorer
Two thoughts.
1-Dont be in such a rush.
2-Could be your rear brakes are doing all the stopping.
Dave M
Dave M
Central Virginia
Had MCI Conversion 20+ yrs
Presently 2001 Foretravel w/ISM500
Usual Toad 2004 F150 Ford w/Can Am 800 Max

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Leaking axle oil would cause the smoke but would not cause the temperature to rise, as shown on his TPM.
I would guess that you have something that is causing the brakes to drag. Maybe an emergency brake cable too tight or something else that is applying the rear brakes only.

Hatman
Explorer
Explorer
That was one of my first thoughts, but as my post noted - no visible oil or fluid.

ronniedean1234
Explorer
Explorer
Could be possible the rear hub seal leaking oil onto the brake shoes causing the smoke, look under the rv on the backside of the brake backing plate and you may see some oil residue...check out the other side it will probably be fairly clean with oil seal not leaking or brake not smoking...
17 Voltage 3970
1999 Freightliner Western Hauler CC/300 Cat/Chipped
2001 Ford F350 CC DRW/ 4x4/ 6 Speed/Chipped