cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear view mirror

jamesk1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a back window in my class c so I have no need for the rear view mirror. On the older vehicles I have had there was a small screw that you could loosen and lift it off but on my 2011 Ford chassis I don't see it. Is there a trick to it?
13 REPLIES 13

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
ron.dittmer wrote:
It's been a few years since I replaced our 2007 E350 mirror with the back-up camera shown. I seem to recall inserting a bent piece of metal like a bent flat blade screwdriver upward from below, wedged in between the black plastic foot and the shiny metal slug, pivot the tool carefully towards you (away from the glass) and slide the mirror upward. Nothing you do should touch glass. You deform/raise the plastic foot off the slug so a latch clears something to allow the mirror to slide up and away.

I love the position of the back up camera since, but I miss looking into the rear of the coach. I added a clip-on mirror on the sun visor, but it is not the same. Still, I am much better off this way. The Scan Gauge is nicely perched as well.
The video showed to insert the screwdriver down from above.
bumpy
I did not do it the way of the video. I followed the instructions in my 2007 chassis service manual and it went uneventfully, never feeling like I applied pressure to the windshield in any fashion.

That video was scary. I would NEVER recommend removing the mirror that way.

jamesk1
Explorer
Explorer
I watched the video and when I read the reviews I decided I might have to think about this-one person broke his windshield. Thanks for the link and I will think this over. LOL

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:
It's been a few years since I replaced our 2007 E350 mirror with the back-up camera shown. I seem to recall inserting a bent piece of metal like a bent flat blade screwdriver upward from below, wedged in between the black plastic foot and the shiny metal slug, pivot the tool carefully towards you (away from the glass) and slide the mirror upward. Nothing you do should touch glass. You deform/raise the plastic foot off the slug so a latch clears something to allow the mirror to slide up and away.

I love the position of the back up camera since, but I miss looking into the rear of the coach. I added a clip-on mirror on the sun visor, but it is not the same. Still, I am much better off this way. The Scan Gauge is nicely perched as well.

the video showed to insert the screwdriver down from above.
bumpy

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
my first two MHs had a rear window and I put one of those freznel lenses on it. could sorta see in the mirror. my last MH had no rear window and it was almost a deal breaker but was able to live without one.
bumpy

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
jamesk1 wrote:
I don't have a back window in my class c so I have no need for the rear view mirror. On the older vehicles I have had there was a small screw that you could loosen and lift it off but on my 2011 Ford chassis I don't see it. Is there a trick to it?
I have a rear window, and a rearview mirror is still useless for it's intended purpose, leaving it in place doesn't bother me, I just use it to see what's going on inside while going down the road.
I use the rearview camera and the side mirrors to see behind me.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

jungshin
Explorer
Explorer
i put one of these in over it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-3-Car-LCD-Monitor-Mirror-Wireless-IR-Reverse-Car-Rear-View-Backup-Camera-Kit-/191561293916?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=1sjYnL70NIz26YvY90LAPKO8H2Q%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

rearview cam with an over the mirror mount rear view mirror/display screen, its like having a real life rearview mirror

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Google found this. Looks like you pry it off.

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
On our car you just twist it. Turning it upright creates a tight fit. Turning to the side allows it to release. Don't know if the van mirrors are the same.

jamesk1
Explorer
Explorer
Its to dark back there to see anything and once it falls out its to late anyway. Still would like to get rid of it and I could always put it back up if I see a problem not having it.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
MobileBasset wrote:
Don't rush into anything.

You can monitor what's going on in the coach.

I adjust the position to allow me to check my dogs riding on the sofa.

X2
Don't remove it.

I had times where I heard flapping or a rattle and looked in the mirror and found out either a cabinet door came open or one time,

I had dropped the day/night shade but forgot to close the window! You should see how that shade comes out and flaps around when your driving down the road with the window left open!!

AND the big one I saw in the rear view mirror?....when the fridge door flew open and it's contents flying everywhere! :E

Nope I'd leave it. It WILL come in handy down the road so you do NOT have to turn around while you are driving to see what's going on back in the coach.:C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

MobileBasset
Explorer
Explorer
Don't rush into anything. You can monitor what's going on in the coach. I adjust the position to allow me to check my dogs riding on the sofa.
MobileBasset
2014 Itasca Spirit 25B on Chevy Express 3500 chassis
Daisy and Hank the Basset Hounds

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I thought all of mine have had a allen wrench screw holding them tight?
bumpy