cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Remote cable service?

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
Ok so trying to figure out how to get cable tv stations remotely while on road? Only use tv when campsite hook up is available. Is Sirius the only way to get remote service?
7 REPLIES 7

RichNewcome
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
Sirius/XM doesn't do TV...
Depending on your interests, SiriusXM simulcasts CNN, HLN, MSNBC, CNBC, FOX Business, & FOX News

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depending on what you want to watch a growing trend is use cell towers and services like Hulu and Netflix for "more media" and an antenna for local stuff/news. You can set the buffers high even on throttled bandwidth on unlimited data plans. May take a bit but they'll come through.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Definitely try the OTA using the BATWING antenna. This gets us all of the local TV channels from the local towns and in some cases up to 50-60 miles away. All of these are in full HDTV mode...

We use to carry the DIRECTV portable dish and spare SAT RCVR from the house bedroom and worked out pretty good. The only we lost was seeing the local home TV stations we were signed up for. When the Natlional Broadcast came out with their digital TV setup in 2009 we stopped bringing along our SAT TV units...

We do alot of camping off-grid and out pole up the side of the trailer with the BATWING antenna really does a nice job for us...

This setup up on SKYLINE DRIVE gets us some 100 channels to pick from - all HDTV mode...

Roy's image

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, you need a clear southern view. We selected a portable automatic dish setup for our SD reception. This way we can move the dish to an area that has better southern exposure.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Best overall is use satellite, either Dish or Direct TV. We have Direct TV at house and use one of the receivers on the road.

Ok but I heard there is interfernce of satellite dish service if you camp in tree lined area?

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Sirius/XM doesn't do TV...

For most campers it's going to be one or more of these:

1. Over the air digital TV.
2. Campground provided cable TV.
3. Satellite TV (Direct TV, Dish Network).
4. Internet streamed TV (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) Requires a high bandwidth connection like a MiFi device.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Best overall is use satellite, either Dish or Direct TV. We have Direct TV at house and use one of the receivers on the road.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker