cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repair or replace old Sony backup camera?

NorthOrSouth
Explorer
Explorer
Our 92 Monaco DP has an old school Sony SSC-520AM Backup cameras & SSM-721AMR monitor (note: the 'R' is for reversed image). They're already 23 years old so when the camera quit it seemed like a good idea to just toss it. After looking at the build quality and durability of this Japanese made camera, I'm second guessing that decision. Its old but quality built.

I've only found one place that rebuilds these cameras and he charges a flat rate of $250. (http://www.batterycanada.com/cctv.htm) That's more than most newer color LCD montior and camera setups cost on Amazon however getting it fixed it would mean nothing in the RV would have to be modified and the wiring is already run which is not an easy task.

But is the picture I'm going to get with this black and white camera/monitor going to be equal or superior to an all new but likely much more cheaply built LCD monitor and camera? Is it worth the repair? Or are there replacement cameras that work with this monitor? (The picture on the monitor is reversed horizontally so I'm assuming that not all cameras will work)
8 REPLIES 8

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I replaced my old Black and white camera with a new Voyager camera/monitor with the rear view and two side cameras. There were adapters available to use my old wiring so the only new wires I had to install were for my two side cameras. Since they are mounted up front, running those wires was easy.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might well be able to reuse the existing wires if they're in good shape—even if it means changing the connectors on them. Likely there's only a (shielded) video coax and a few wires for power and control. There's nothing Sony-specific about the wire itself.

If it were me, I would probably look to upgrading, for what it's worth.

Raist11
Explorer
Explorer
I still have the original camera with my 1990 Triple E. If it goes out, I will not hesitate to replace with something newer no matter the effort or cost. The picture on mine is just so terrible. Perhaps the monitor is just bad, it's my first and only backup camera like that, that I've used.

Cameras have come such a long way. I would say just upgrade the system now that it's busted. You'll be happier and better off. And I will be envious because I still have my crappy old system. Which means I can see just as much if I were to stick my head out the window and look back. (Obviously I don't just do that)

SageCrispin
Explorer
Explorer
I ran the wires on the bottom of the RV-just zip tie them to any existing wires/cables/lines -anything that doesn't get hot or move. Had plenty of cable for our 38 footer.

The side cams just mount on the front shell corners, below the mirrors and above the wheel flange (so the flange doesn't block your view). I glance down at the monitor every time I turn on the directionals-every turn and every lane change, so I use them a lot. I guess you could say they are a bit redundant if you have good big, well adjusted convex mirrors, but I feel they give a better view, especially when it is raining. You may want to ask for other opinions on that one also.

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.
We've run out in the house, but the RV has two.

Damon Challenger.
Jeep Unlimited toad

NorthOrSouth
Explorer
Explorer
Ah, thanks, I've looked at those too. The thing I couldn't figure out is where I'd run the wires. My coach has them all hidden behind the cupboards and in the ceiling so that the thought of stringing new line through there has me worried.

Where did you mount the side cams? Do you find them as useful as the rear cam?

SageCrispin
Explorer
Explorer
Not an answer you're looking for, but when my B&W camera gave it up, I got THIS. More than your repair, but the color and side cams made it a very worthwhile upgrade. There are of course cheaper versions without the side cameras. Took a bit to install, and the volume is not loud enough (I use a baby monitor now to listen for bad things when we start up)but never-the-less I would do it again. Far cheaper than anything from Camping World.
We've run out in the house, but the RV has two.

Damon Challenger.
Jeep Unlimited toad

NorthOrSouth
Explorer
Explorer
I did see that one actually. Thing is with the CDN exchange and shipping $187 will work out to almost the same $250 (CDN) as the repair. The question is, which one is the better camera? The old school technology which Im hoping is going to have great clarity or the new camera which will have the infrared LED for night vision?

I think I'll email the repair guy and see if he has a comment, not that I assume he'll be unbiased 🙂

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
I did a quick Google search and found the following:

Replacement Sony SSC-520AM Compatible Camera

The same site has a link for their Monitor option but it seems you will need to get in contact with them for options. Here's is the link Sony Monitor
2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose