cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replace elect awaning with manual

YWORRYDOG
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone replaced the elect awning with a manual?
CHUCK and ROSE 2010 Sunseeker
We camp on earth
14 REPLIES 14

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
YWORRYDOG wrote:
Thanks, Ron, just what I was looking for.
๐Ÿ™‚

YWORRYDOG
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Ron, just what I was looking for.
We camp on earth

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
YWORRYDOG wrote:
.......and idea on how to plug the holes?
If I were doing what you are doing, I would plug the holes with plastic rivets that look like this.

They can be bought in various sizes and colors, most common in black at auto part stores, and white at home improvement centers. Buy ones as small as you can get away with. You might have to drill the holes bigger or cleaner to get the right fastening action. I would also add a lot of clear silicone caulk inside the hole and the inside of the pin so it oozes out when pushed in. Then wipe clean for a perfect seal.

YWORRYDOG
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all that is what I am looking for, and idea on how to plug the holes?
We camp on earth

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like manual because of the simple mechanics of it. So manual would be my choice initially, and if I had an electric that needed both fabric and motor, I'd replace. And live with the patched-up holes.

BUT! I've come to realize that sliding the weight of a manual awning out to deployed height can be a strain for many. Ours is a 21-foot Carefree and 21-foot makes it heavy. Smaller awnings might be OK, but I'm not sure I'd want to or even be able to deploy it a bunch of years from now. So be sure you're OK with the physical aspect of a manual awning. If you are, go with it!
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
YWORRYDOG wrote:
please, I am not looking for pro or con, my elect has a bad motor, and the fabric got damaged in Alaska. This is the 2nd motor, and cost is $450. for the motor alone. I want to know if anyone did it, and how much damage in removing the old one. I know there will be some holes where the elect one is mounted to the side.

Here is someone that did it.

Link to that post
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
YWORRYDOG wrote:
please, I am not looking for pro or con, my elect has a bad motor, and the fabric got damaged in Alaska. This is the 2nd motor, and cost is $450. for the motor alone. I want to know if anyone did it, and how much damage in removing the old one. I know there will be some holes where the elect one is mounted to the side.

Just curious. What brand is your awning?

Yes, it can be done BTW (no, I haven't done it) on an externally mounted one. A recessed one would be more problematic (like Bigfoot RVs have) when changing awning types. Unbolt old awning hardware and install new. Some filling of now unused holes and drilling new ones may be required. If you take the plunge, get a good one if you are planning on keeping the RV for a while.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

ronfisherman
Yes you can replace it. From GR I would drive to down to White Pigeon and pick up the parts needed to replace/repair a awing.
3 places to try.
Johnsons Surplus
Toms Borderline Bargins
Bontrager's Surplus
A couple in Elkhart.
RV Part Nation
Factory RV Surplus
There are others in the area. But these are the most popular. All but Toms do shipping.
Also check Ebay. Lots of awning parts offered there.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

YWORRYDOG
Explorer
Explorer
We camp on earth

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We were used to the manual awning and missed it when we got the electric on the last TT. When we finally started liking it we got a MH with a manual. We don't miss the electric. They both have there good points.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
We were enjoying a rainy afternoon covered patio beverage with our fifth wheel parked alongside. Suddenly, there was a huge splash.

My cousin said "I think your electric awning just collapsed!" I said "No, it just self dumped!" Yup, we quite like ours.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I had considered going with an electric awning when our manual was showing it's age. After reading posts on several RV forums, I chose to go with a new Carefree manual. It's two years old and still works like brand new. I can leave it out in up to 20 MPH winds without needing to strap it down.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think if we had the electric awning, we would use it more often. We have the older box awning that we crank open and pull out the self-storing poles and such. But I really don't like the two vertical tracks mounted on the side of the motor home of an electric awning. For me it is a trade off, no clear winner.

In the OP's case replacing an electric with a box, you'd need to "cap" all the mounting holes somehow.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I would not. My current used rig came with an electric awning, my first one. I like it. I can manually pull down one side and lock it so the rain runs off.

Just this last weekend it started to rain so I just pushed the button to put the awning out so I could enjoy the shower. I went outside and dipped one side and I enjoyed the rain.

Now there are electric awnings and there are electric awnings. The one I have is simple.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD