cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing ceiling flourescent Lights

rsaf1947
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever changed their ceiling florescent lights to can lights with either a standard or led lights? We do not like the fixtures which are rectangular and look ugly not to mention the harsh brightness. These are on a 2003 Holiday Rambler Scepter model.
9 REPLIES 9

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Can lighting would potentially solve the problem of the unsightly hole after you remove the fluorescent fixture but I don't think most RVs have enough room in the ceiling to accommodate a Can unless there are some real shallow LED ones these days.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

alkillion
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the replacement lights at www.starlightsinc.com
I used them on 3 fixtures in my old coach. They are a little pricey, but they work great. Everything I have bought from this company has been first rate.
Good Luck!
May the Forza be with us!
2014 Winnebago Forza 34T
340 hp Cummins
Allison 6 speed
2006 Jeep Wrangler toad

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
rsaf1947 wrote:
Thanks for the input and info. Will see about the warm led's. My wife just hates the flourescents.
Why does she hate them? The harsh cold color??? Have here look at pics in this link. The top pic is with warm white LEDs and the bottom is with flourescents. Both pics taken with same camera, standing in same location, without flash.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

rsaf1947
Explorer
Explorer
diveman52 wrote:
your biggest issue will be that the original fixtures will leave there foot print in the ceiling when removed. Best way it to retrofit to LED's
Very simple if your handy.
I have changed all mine interior lighting to LED.

I would tend to agree. That may be a bigger problem than the lights themselves!! They just look so old fashioned.

rsaf1947
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input and info. Will see about the warm led's. My wife just hates the flourescents.

diveman52
Explorer
Explorer
your biggest issue will be that the original fixtures will leave there foot print in the ceiling when removed. Best way it to retrofit to LED's
Very simple if your handy.
I have changed all mine interior lighting to LED.
40+ Years in Electrical construction.
Retired IBEW Local 595
Every Days Saturday
2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4035

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
You have a point. The cheap fluorescent ceiling fixtures are not much to look at. I was thinking someone creative could come up with some kind of custom bezel to dress up the fixture. Poked around a bit and found some ideas here.
Roaming Full Timer

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
I used warm white Tri-Chip LED Tubes from Uznium.com. Very happy and the color from them is excellent. I used the original fixtures too. Gutted everything off of them and replaced it with the Tri-Chip tubes. The color output was actually more vibrant than the flourescents they replaced. And not at all harsh and cold as many LEDs I've seen.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
There was a post a few weeks ago about Changing to LED from Fluorescent.

But, they used the original fixtures.