Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roadtrek quality issues (2002)?

rstl99
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
I am working a deal with someone selling a very nice 2001 Roadtrek Popular. Going through necessary inspections prior to sale.

I read this in a site where people offered their reviews of Roadtreks, and was taken aback with some of the (lack of) quality issues about a couple of 2002 Roadtrek's. Was 2002 a bad year, and should I be concerned about some of the build quality issues identified by this owner? The awning held on by two way tape is unbelievable...

Thanks.

2002 Roadtrek Popular 190
I've now had this vehicle 4 years and taken it to Alaska, Oregon and Florida twice. The Dodge vehicle is excellent. However, Roadtrek design, workmanship and choice of components is very poor and in some cases dangerous. When I installed a solar system, I found that all of the wires connected to breakers had overheated and the insulation was melted off. Roadtrek's response to this fire hazard was to blame the component manufacturer, but legally Roadtrek was responsible for choosing the component which clearly was incapable of performing in the electrical system Roadtrek designed. Many others complained of this defect. The awning simply fell off the vehicle. It was only held in place by 4 pieces of double sided tape! The dropped floor becomes very hot to the touch because it is too close to the exhaust system. Beware not to allow your pets to lay on the dropped floor while driving. All components (water pump, water heater, side windows, stove, etc. will have to be replaced at 18 years. Roadtrek chose the cheapest possible components. Any time repairs are made we see that the factory workmanship revealed when trim is removed is incredibly poor. This company deserved to go out of business

2002 Roadtrek Popular 190
Melted wires in breaker box. Common prob. RT blames co that made the part. RT chose wrong part for elec system. Did nothing to warn, recall or fix. Awning fell off b/c only held on w 3 pieces of tape!
4 REPLIES 4

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's an RV. They all fall apart at some point. I really doubt the awning was attached with double-back tape....LOL. That alone says a lot.

rstl99
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, but for those who read my comment and may be wondering: the majority of the other RT reviews on the site where I got the bad one quoted above, were very positive. The negative one may have been written by someone disgruntled or with an axe to grind.
RT owner reviews

rstl99
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your response.
The quoted poster (from 2010) said he had only owned the 2002 RT for 4 years (second owner at least).
Anyway, there is some give and take to a post like that.
I own a dog who will be traveling with us so the hot floor is of concern.
"Poor workmanship" and "cheap components" concerns me a bit also.
But other discussions I've read pointed to such quality issues in later model RT's (after the 2008 financial crisis, when RT was at risk of closing down).
And overall, RT owners seem to be more satisfied than not with their vehicle, even though nothing is perfect in this world, and companies are always looking for ways to cut costs in a competitive marketplace. It seems that the very newest Class B's ($$$) are not without considerable build quality issues.
Anyway, will see what the pro RV inspector and Dodge truck inspector say about the vehicle I am considering, which seems to have been cared for very well by the previous owners, inside and out.
Regards.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
After 19 years the owner should have worked out all the kinks. Iโ€™d go with what the pro inspector says.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad