cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roadtrek Tire size 225/75 versus 245/75

a1parrothead
Explorer
Explorer
In a separate thread I am trying to solve the steering issue in my 1996 Dodge chassis Roadtrek.

Tires keep coming up, so I am about to purchase new ones. Looking hard at the Michelin XPS Ribs in size 245/75/16. My stock tires are 225/75/16 and that is what the door sticker calls for.

Any opinions on changing to these 245/75/16 tires?

Jeff
4 REPLIES 4

senf
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous 1996 Roadtrek 190V on a Dodge chassis had factory supplied Michelin LTX tires. They didn't last a year and were replaced with Bridgestones. That improved the steering somewhat and stopped the squishy feeling due to the soft Michelin sidewalls. However, until I fitted spacers on the back wheels to line up the tracking with the front wheels the steering still was not good. People swear by Michelin, I have only had cause to swear at them.

Handbasket has it right.
"Drive with Care, Life has no Spare!"
2008 Roadtrek C190V 6.0L Hella Fog, Nighthawk Driving, Halogen Reverse Lights, Fiamma Air Horn, Firestone Air Bags, Custom Bed & Mattress, Custom O/Head Tray. website www.sen-f.ca

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
If you go with the larger size in Michelin XPS Ribs, I'd expect a noticeably harsher ride, both due the stiffer all-steel construction and the greater unsprung weight. You'll lose some acceleration and possibly gain a tiny bit of cruising gas mileage. Whether these will be bad enough to be objectionable is anybody's guess. There's always an element of rolling the dice in buying new tires for a B, unless replacing them with the same size & brand.

After I found that the old Michelin LTX's messed with the formerly-great driveability of my '01/'02 RT C190P, I found a set of Yokohama Geolandars that came with a 30-day trial period. That sealed the deal for me. Dunno what they'd have done if I'd wanted to return them, and anyway this was a decade ago.

Jim, "Old age comes at a bad time."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
The 245/75/16 is wider and taller than the 225/75/16. This will affect what your speedometer and odometer read. There may also be an issue with the width of your rims. Talk to the a tire shop.

booster
Explorer
Explorer
You will need to make sure the wheels are wide enough for the larger size, and that there is clearance for them on the van. I am sure others with Dodges have looked into this, so you should be able to get some guidance.