cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rollover accident I-81 South PA/MD border

danddclydes
Explorer
Explorer
This was today at about 2:30 on I -81 South. Appears to be a Phaeton with New York plates. Possible entrapment.
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site556/2014/0319/20140319__538182~s500~ph.jpg
59 REPLIES 59

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
That is why I believe in 100% replacement insurance. Not a brand issue just a seen need based on how they all look after a wreck.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
There's one. Any others that would fare well in a rollover?
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

Joatha
Explorer
Explorer
OhhWell wrote:
mike brez wrote:
OhhWell wrote:
MeanderMan wrote:
It's depressing, yet all too common, that some people would go off subject to criticize a report of an accident. A 32K lb vehicle, of which probably 70% or more of the weight is below the floor line, flips over at a significant speed. The two occupants suffer only minor damages, and because some people don't own that brand of MH or any MH at all, they decide to weigh in on "poor construction". Would they have fared better in another brand MH? A car? I doubt it.

Are we looking at the same picture???? I don't know of ANY motorhome that has any form of roll cage construction. To my knowledge, we are all driving fiberglass with aluminum framing holding it up. If any of our rigs flips, we are in serious trouble. Our walls cannot hold the chassis up!

As I already mentioned BlueBirds were roll over certified.

I guess I should have specified non-bus conversion. School Busses are pretty solid.

I don't consider a Wanderlodge to be a bus conversion. They were purpose-built as a motorhome - not produced as shells and moved over to be converted. They were designed and built from the ground up as a motorhome and never started out as an empty shell that could be used for other purposes. Did they share some components with buses? Yes - particularly in the chassis and frame. They did apply the same principles that were used in building a bus to build an equally solid motorhome, though. But, that's about it.
2001 Bluebird Wanderlodge LX ME

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
OhhWell wrote:
MeanderMan wrote:
It's depressing, yet all too common, that some people would go off subject to criticize a report of an accident. A 32K lb vehicle, of which probably 70% or more of the weight is below the floor line, flips over at a significant speed. The two occupants suffer only minor damages, and because some people don't own that brand of MH or any MH at all, they decide to weigh in on "poor construction". Would they have fared better in another brand MH? A car? I doubt it.

Are we looking at the same picture???? I don't know of ANY motorhome that has any form of roll cage construction. To my knowledge, we are all driving fiberglass with aluminum framing holding it up. If any of our rigs flips, we are in serious trouble. Our walls cannot hold the chassis up!

I guess I should have specified non-bus conversion. School Busses are pretty solid.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
OhhWell wrote:
MeanderMan wrote:

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Lets see---In the past 2 months I drove the DP from Palm Springs East, drove to Petersburg,Va and back, (400 mi) and to Savanah, Ga and back (600 mi)pulling a trailer part of the time. Big bus, big trailer, and 73yo driver. Did I mention that I also drove my race car 3 days in a row in Va----so just what is "to old"?

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
MeanderMan wrote:

Are we looking at the same picture???? I don't know of ANY motorhome that has any form of roll cage construction. To my knowledge, we are all driving fiberglass with aluminum framing holding it up. If any of our rigs flips, we are in serious trouble. Our walls cannot hold the chassis up! I don't know how your takeaway was that someone was bashing the Tiffin brand and it's construction. I guess there is always someone waiting to be offended.

That was luck that they got out with minor injuries, not a "testament to the structure of the RV".

I will still let my wife get up and make sandwiches while driving. I will still let my kids use the bathroom while driving. I will NOT drive if I don't feel like I can be at 100%. That was my takeaway from seeing this and hearing the cause of it.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

Medico
Explorer II
Explorer II
paulcardoza wrote:
I just hope that:

1. I make it to 80 years old.
2. I'm aware enough to realize my limits at that age!

There are just way too many stories about elderly drivers who should not be behind the wheel these days. This is not intended to bash any group of folks. I'm a firm believer that EVERYONE with a license should be ROAD TESTED periodically, to ensure they are capable of controlling their vehicles properly.

It seems that there are FAR more younger drivers involved in accidents than older drivers. This driver dozed off. Perhaps he did not sleep well the night before. For every story of an elderly driver who has an accident, there are dozens of stories of young drivers who have the same accident, quite often with fatalities involved.

Road testing everyone periodically is foolish! Can you imagine how much more that would cost taxpayers! This accident had NOTHING to do with controlling a vehicle. THE DRIVER FELL ASLEEP! Most teenage drivers have far less control over their vehicles than most elderly drivers.
GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655, FMCA #F431170

2006 Country Coach Magna, 2012 Jeep Liberty

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
smlranger wrote:
So good to hear the occupants are OK.
X-2

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Mike brez that there is no comparison. Bus carry up to forty passengers and have windows from the front to the back in a row. The only part of the bus that caved in was a part of the roof over the driver. The rest held up pretty good. And you can not compare the framing on a bus to a motorhome like the one being discussed in this thread. It is like day and night.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
For a comparison just Google 'tour bus rollover' and you'll find many instances of fatalities and serious injuries. The build of the bus doesn't really mean much in rollovers. In this instance, part of the roof was ripped open and the top over the driver crushed.

Tour Bus Fatalities

Not a good comparison at all.
2015 Wrangler JKU

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
For a comparison just Google 'tour bus rollover' and you'll find many instances of fatalities and serious injuries. The build of the bus doesn't really mean much in rollovers. In this instance, part of the roof was ripped open and the top over the driver crushed.

Tour Bus Fatalities
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
The occupants are lucky because the whole superstructure of the coach just collapsed. You very seldom see a coach completely flip on its back unless the vertical stringers gave out. Most of the time good built coaches will just lay on their sides. It seems like they were not going too fast and just lost control of the coach.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
MeanderMan wrote:

I'm sure if it were mine I would be dead. However if you were in a Bluebird that was roll over certified that would be a different story. On the BB site there are/were pics of a rolled BB a tow truck came and put it back onto its wheels and it was driven away. Not sure any other rv could do that.

How did you get a 2016 CRV

USAF CMSgt (Retired)
Happily Fulltiming Somewhere
2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
2016 Honda CRV
2015 Wrangler JKU

MeanderMan
Explorer
Explorer
Happily Fulltiming Somewhere
2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
2013 Honda CRV
Our RV Blog