cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route help into Jersey City, Jersey

Corbaus
Explorer
Explorer
We will be traveling east on 78 to Liberty Harbor RV park in Jersey City the last week of August. Traveling in 40 foot Class A with toad. Any help would be appreciated with suggestions on route to take, best time to travel, precautions to take, etc. Thanks in advance.
2002 40' Beaver Santiam
Sea Eagle 375
5 REPLIES 5

Corbaus
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Rob for the information.
2002 40' Beaver Santiam
Sea Eagle 375

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
There is construction the last few miles of I-78 from the Garden State Parkway to just before the NJ Turnpike Entrance Toll Plaza, so make sure to bear left for the Express lanes that split off at about MP 48. From there, straight through onto the Newark Bay Extension of the Turnpike, then get off that at the 2nd exit after the Exit Plaza, IIRC this is signed for "Montgomery Street-Grand Street". After the ramp drops down to grade, you go another block parallel to the Turnpike until there is a u-turn to head back a few blocks to Grand Street, make a left there to head east towards the Hudson, passing Jersey City Medical Center on the right, then after about 3 more blocks make a right on Marin Blvd., which basically ends at the campground/marina entrance.

Either weekends or weekdays between 9:30am and 3pm would be the best times to deal with 78, and that applies all the way from Allentown/Bethlehem, PA to Jersey City.

78 in NJ has had alot of resurfacing the past few years. Just stay in the Express lanes and it should be pretty good.

And it's been pretty well vetted on here before, but the area of Jersey City Liberty Harbor is located might be the highest demographic real estate you've ever camped in. There is a condo high-rise right next door where the units sell for $400,000 to $2,000,000. This is yuppie heaven, and probably close to small town safe.

There is a light rail station in front of that building that will take you easily to the waterfront, and either the PATH subway train or a Ferry to Manhattan.

Go to Google Maps with satellite view turned on and all this shows very well, including how to get into the area and the kind of neighborhood it is.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

spatbhoy
Explorer
Explorer
78 is fine but not during rush hrs

Louandsal
Explorer
Explorer
Adventure Caravan NYC Rally? See you there.......

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
My information is from 2009, but at that time I-78 in New Jersey was pure hell in terms of roughness. I would not go that way unless it has been resurfaced. We came back from Liberty Harbor on the Jersey Turnpike, which was congested, of course, but was at least smoother. Traffic is usually lighter on a Sunday. I can't think of any special precaution that would not apply to a visit to any large city.