cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Routing Info, Bend to Livermore, CA

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I may need to swing by Livermore, CA and Bakersfield, CA on our way back to Tuscon and have question regarding the route.

Since I abhor driving through large cities I will do my best to skip them but for the leg from Bend to Livermore it seems it will be unavoidable. The choices appear to be 580 through the bay area or 5 through Sacramento. Which one would be the best to avoid long stretches of traffic?

The leg to Bakersfield seems pretty simple as does the route from Bakersfield over the hills trough NV and into AZ on 40.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad
10 REPLIES 10

Ramen
Explorer
Explorer
What day of the week and time of day?

JFC
Explorer
Explorer
I'd stay at the fair grounds in Pleasanton. They've put in a new shower/laundry facility and you'll be going against commute traffic to LLNL.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's why I gave him an easy route to get around the worst of the construction on 5. Going 80 to 680 to 580 just to avoid the construction on 5 would not be a good move.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

dgodinez
Explorer
Explorer
9 times out of 10 I would have said 5 to 205 to 580, but like others have said construction on 5 by stockton is terrible right now. I just commented to the wife the other day while driving in a car that I wont be bringing the bus this way anytime soon.

As far as rv parks, I dont know of any in Livermore. Have you tried Del Valle is a camp ground but might be your best choice.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
On RV parks in Livermore that's close to home for me so I don't camp that close to home. The only thing I'm even familiar with right in that area is the Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton. They have RV spaces and it's next door to Livermore.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will caution you that I-5 through Stockton right now is a total mess especially southbound. At one point they even split the traffic around construction. You can actually avoid it by jumping over to 99 in Sacramento and the in Stockton take 4 back over to 5. This doesn't avoid all the construction but it does get you around the biggest mess on I-5 which is North of 4.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the replies, that is sort of what I had thought but I haven't been in that area in years.

Any decent rv parks in Livermore you can recommend?? I would be visiting the LLNL campus for a day.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

JFC
Explorer
Explorer
We always take 5 to 205 to 580 to Livermore. Interstate 5 through Sacramento and Stockton isn't bad, and is much better that the 505 to 80 to 680 which seems always busy. We hate to use that route even when we're only in the car.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
580 runs east-west and Livermore is on 580. So I assume your question is do you take 80 to 680 to 580 to Livermore, or do you take 5 to 205 to 580 to Livermore. And the answer is by far 5 to 205 to 580. You'll still have to go through Sacramento and Stockton that way.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Yellowboat_
Explorer
Explorer
I take I-5 when traveling south from Washington, Oregon. 580 will take you closer to the big cities and lots of traffic. On your way to Bakersfield you can take I-5 or 99.

Safe travels. JD
2016 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on a 2016 Ford F53 Chassis
2009 Saturn VUE
Buddy our Bichon Frise
JD & Kathy