cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Comparison Guide

bhivetravels
Explorer
Explorer
I've had is asked of me several times and I've looked myself, but with the sole exception of one web site that sells for over $150 their RV evaluations of Class A's 5er's etc., there does not seem to be a place where one can go and get some sort of side by side comparison guide between products? I can find cars, trucks, even snowmobiles but not a comparison chart for different companies RVs. And this is a business that does not produce that many vehicles yearly in comparison to ... well any other vehicle. There are more red motorcycles sold in the US in a year than RVs I'd bet -- or come close anyway. Has anyone had any success?
Jim and Monica
Maj. USAF Ret. โ€” High School Teacher Ret.
2016 Jayco Pinnacle Ford 350 Turbo Diesel
Full-Timing with Meiko and Marlie:C
4 REPLIES 4

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion is that any rating guide is going to be based on someone's opinion. Say anything bad about a particular brand and someone will defend it. So apparently whatever it is fits them. What qualifies one persons opinion over any others?

Complaints can be read on this and other RV forums, particularly when there are brand affinity forums. You have to evaluate those complaints and see what fits you. You have been on this website for a few years, and if you have been reading right along, you should be able to easily tell what brands are OK and what brands are not. Then within those brands one can search for floorplans on the manufacturer's website.

Using this methodology, you eliminate brands that should be eliminated, regardless of what cool floorplan idea that manufacturer came up with. It takes the emotion out of the picture and helps to keep you from making a bad decision.

It is pretty easy to buy something and then stumble on something really cool a month later and have buyers remorse. Buyer's remorse is purely an emotional response. If you made a decision based on logic, then you made the best decision. No reason to be concerned about buyer's remorse.
IRV2

bhivetravels
Explorer
Explorer
PghBob wrote:
You can consider an "RV Buyers Guide" that generally sell at supermarkets for about 10 bucks. Now, these will NOT evaluate for fit and finish, drive-ability, do comparisons, or give opinions. But, they print data, as provided by the manufacturers, on the various specifications as floor plans, appliances, roof material, holding tank capacities, etc. It's an inexpensive first-start on researching an RV. Otherwise, I think the pricey book/web site you found is the only "ratings" guide out there. My apologies if this is old news.

Bob

Actually, I'd not thought of this ... I've been "digitized" for years seeking information on the internet I forgot print options! Hmmm, I'll have to visit a bookstore. Thanks!

Jim
Jim and Monica
Maj. USAF Ret. โ€” High School Teacher Ret.
2016 Jayco Pinnacle Ford 350 Turbo Diesel
Full-Timing with Meiko and Marlie:C

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
You can consider an "RV Buyers Guide" that generally sell at supermarkets for about 10 bucks. Now, these will NOT evaluate for fit and finish, drive-ability, do comparisons, or give opinions. But, they print data, as provided by the manufacturers, on the various specifications as floor plans, appliances, roof material, holding tank capacities, etc. It's an inexpensive first-start on researching an RV. Otherwise, I think the pricey book/web site you found is the only "ratings" guide out there. My apologies if this is old news.

Bob

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
bhivetravels wrote:
I've had is asked of me several times and I've looked myself, but with the sole exception of one web site that sells for over $150 their RV evaluations of Class A's 5er's etc., there does not seem to be a place where one can go and get some sort of side by side comparison guide between products? I can find cars, trucks, even snowmobiles but not a comparison chart for different companies RVs. And this is a business that does not produce that many vehicles yearly in comparison to ... well any other vehicle. There are more red motorcycles sold in the US in a year than RVs I'd bet -- or come close anyway. Has anyone had any success?
No, I haven't! IMHO your going to have to do that research yourself. Due to all the options that come with every different RV that is built! You might be able to get close with entry level gas and or diesels coaches.