cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Resorts/Parks in San Diego

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
Asking for my daughter that is considering buying a Class A. Can someone recommend a RV Resort/Park in San Diego that someone can stay in for 1-2 years nice and safe? She is in the military and though she would take it on short week/weekend trips it would be back home in the same slot for the period of her deployment.

Thanks in advance
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars
16 REPLIES 16

chili_s_trip
Explorer II
Explorer II
El Cajon has 3 long term rv parks - all afilliated with Sunland. Good luck.
Jack H
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 32W 8.1.
2009 Honda Fit Sport

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Bernardo Shores right before the strand in Imperial Beach. They have some long term tenants.
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
Chris (Lurker1) it would be very helpful as to some details behind your comments, what failed, why did it no work? This is some of what she and I are looking for, i.e. whats the down side.

I would think with mobility, tax write-off, no rent (at least apartment rent) paying towards something now that you can keep and run into retirement would be something good. Also to note her retirement she plans to tour the US and do her sky jumping, so an RV is needed there.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

WayneLee
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding the storage issue, Miramar marine air base has a large RV storage lot on the West side of the base, right alongside the I15 freeway. I believe it is free, or very low cost, to active or retired military personnel.

If you are looking at "beach area" RV spots, they can be a little expensive, especially in the summer. You might want to consider Santee Lakes (LINK). Give them a call to get pricing.

Wayne Lee
Out West Somewhere

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 3050DS Class C | Hummer H3 dinghy

Yellowboat_
Explorer
Explorer
There are two Navy Military RV parks in San Diego. I'm not sure how long you can stay in them but I believe they will allow active duty people to stay a little longer. Each military RV park has its own rules about length of stay. In San Diego there is the Admiral Baker RV Park and the newly built Fiddler's Cove RV Park. And just north of San Diego there are three military RV parks on Camp Pendleton.

We have stayed at Admiral Baker RV Park and I have talked to active duty Navy personnel that were living there.

I have never worried about safety in San Diego. That said, I believe both RV parks in San Diego do not have controlled access. Camp Pendelton, on the other hand, has controlled access.

There is also a Navy Weapons Station in LA with an RV park about 15 miles from Disneyland and about 30 miles from Universal Studios. It also has controlled access. A nice place to go for a weekend stay.

I don't think the RV parks in San Diego has storage facilities. I suspect the Navy has storage facilities somewhere in San Diego.

Here is a link to Military Camping: http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/

Safe travels.

JD
2016 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on a 2016 Ford F53 Chassis
2009 Saturn VUE
Buddy our Bichon Frise
JD & Kathy

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
While staying at Pio Pico Thousand trails which is east of Otay Lakes there was a young Navy girl staying there in her class C motorhome. She told us she was in the service and was staying there at TT RV park.

Now I do not know what kind of arrangement she had with the park. I do know they have some lease spots and long term staying. Not sure how it works.

The RV park is between Chula Vista and Jamul just east of Otay Lakes.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

ljr869
Explorer
Explorer
Most places near the coast and other tourist attractions have stay limits. You'd have to go inland to find a place to live. There's a couple places near the Lawrence Welk Resort (Champagne Lakes?) where you can actually live.
Jim
2009 Fleetwood Bounder 35H
Ford V-10 w/ Banks

swordcreek
Explorer
Explorer
San Diego RV Resort. We stayed for 9 Mo. Our neighbor was retired Navy had been there 6 Years and is still there with family. He Volunteers on the Midway and is part of the RV park patrol. Nice park out I-8 to fletcher parkway (on the right). Check it out on the internet. We have been going there for 14 years.

swordcreek
Explorer
Explorer
San Diego RV Resort. We stayed for 9 Mo. Our neighbor was retired Navy had been there 6 Years and is still there with family. He Volunteers on the Midway and is part of the RV park patrol. Nice park out I-8 to fletcher parkway (on the right). Check it o on the internet. We have been going there for 14 years.

mikim
Explorer
Explorer
You are going to have to start making phone calls and see what the individual campgrounds say....

To start with:

Chula Vista RV Resort
Campland on the Bay-Has on site storage.
KOA-San Diego, Chula Vista, CA

Lurker1
Explorer
Explorer
Jamie,

I'm active military in San Diego and can't even begin to fathom trying to do what you're thinking. Given the parks I'm familiar with, I wouldn't recommend it. A buddy of mine, also active duty, has a class A which he intended to do the same thing you're considering. He was unsuccessful... still owns the class A, but also rents a place where he lives.

Can it be done... maybe. Should it be done... probably not. That said, where there's a will, there's a way.

Chris

jeremywatco
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how long you can stay each time but the campground on Camp Pendleton near the old nuclear power plant is awesome. Beach front, no crowds as its military only. I'm non-military and jealous.

Turkiye1018a
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I am the daughter. 🙂 So i am new to this RV life and trying to do some research on where i can live and all that before I commit. I am retiring from the navy here in 6 yrs and trying to set myself up for the future and hopefully have everything taken care of before I get set on the open road of retirement.

I am an active duty sailor and trying to understand the process of RV park living. I am looking for recommendations on places to go check out that will accomadate long term living while i am still in the navy having the hectic sea life schedule during work ups. I would be leaving my coach in the RV park while I am at sea for 2-3 week at a time and when i go on my 9 month deployment i would obviously put it in storage. But in the mean time am trying to find a nice place that would be a safeish place to leave my coach unattended while i am out at sea for short periods of time. How much of a pain in the rear is it to move in san diego from park to park..(in san diego is the catcher)..its a big city. I work on North Island. My biggest concern is not looking to spend a lot of time in traffic commuting to work.

Thanks for any feed back to this post and my dad's.
Jamie

jarviswin
Explorer
Explorer
Try MCAS Miramar.
2006 Allegro 32B
2008 Honda Civic (Toad)
2009 V Star 1300