cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV sitting for over 2 years - recommendations

bamaspiveys
Explorer
Explorer
So, I am still shopping and have found an RV that has been sitting up for a while: It is a 2006 Phaeton with 15,000 miles. The owner says it has not been used in a little over 2 years, he cranks it and runs the generator when he thinks about it but it has not moved in 2years.

If I buy this coach what do you do with the engine, trans & genset?

I talked to 3 local RV service depts and got mixed messages from all of them.
Service Dept #1 said drive it like it is, oil does not break down in a bottle on the shelf and it does not breakdown in an oil pan either. Don't touch the trans, as soon as you start changing filters you are gonna move a piece of dirt in the trans and the problems will begin.

Service Dept #2 Change it all. Start with all new filters and fluids in the engine, trans and genset.
( I tend to lean in this direction)

Service Dept #3 said change the oil and filter for the engine, and genset, change the filters on the trans but not the fluid.

After those three calls I was more confused than when I started.....

GO.
24 REPLIES 24

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Inspect, inspect, inspect.
There is no "one shoe fits all" rule.
I sold my 44 years old Prevost with lot of original parts on it and it runs without a trouble.
Don't try that with older 454 engine.
Oil has infinite life in factory bottle on the shelf, but will deteriorate slightly when exposed to engine chemistry and the worse - it could accumulate condensation in the storage.
Modern transmissions are consider "sealed for life" so if the fluid looks good and stays at the level, I would put it at the bottom of priorities.

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
bamaspivey
Start the generator and put it under load to make sure that it is putting out power.
I would plan on the total service to be safe.
New tires were already mentioned.
You will also need to run the refrigerator and AC units to make sure that they still work as two years is a long time for them to sit.
I would have a Tiffin dealer check the roof rails to make sure they are okay. They were having a problem with them on a few models but do not remember which years.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
#2 has the right idea, plus hoses belts , filters etc, if it was inside thats a big plus, out side things draw moisture and rust, but only 15k its worth some work. if your handy you,ll save some bucks ,And stay away from rv dealers doing the work. find a nice mom,pop shop to do it. cheaper and I,d bet faster and better. rv,shops lickem stickem and out the door ,they don,t have the time to do things right.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
From your post it appears that the coach would be in the Tennessee area. I would think with your temps that you would get a fair amount of condensation inside the engine and trans. Water will destroy bearings pretty darn fast. So I'ld go with your local shop number #2.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
Change all belts, hoses,

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Change ALL fluids is the best option. The coach would have been better off had the owner done nothing! Just starting an engine is NOT good for the engine. You need to start it and DRIVE it. Getting it up to operating temperature is very important and this never happened if the coach never moved. If, by chance, the owner started the generator AND put a reasonable load on it (run at least 1 A/C unit) for at least an hour then the generator is likely OK.
My concern would be the engine. Diesels don't like what you describe but Tiffin is a great product and if you can get a diesel mechanic to confirm that the engine is good I would not have a problem making the purchase assuming the price is right.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Check for leaks, it probably had no maintenance or inspections in at least two years.

Have a diesel mechanic/RV Tech check everything. Especially the engine and drive train.

Where was it sitting for two years, inside, outside, covered, not covered?

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
If, he really has "cranked it up when he thinks about it" (but doesn't drive it)
be sure to take the oil fill cap off the engine and check for moisture/RUST.

No way to get rid of the moisture in a diesel engine except on the road under load. Starting and idling, even fast idle only adds moisture to the crankcase.

Said another way, you can get the COOLANT up to operating temperature without driving, but can NOT get the OIL/CRANKCASE up to operating temperature.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

bamaspiveys
Explorer
Explorer
Tires are original and he knew they had to be replaced, we got that out of the way quickly.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Service dept #2 gets my vote.

Plan on buying new tires. It's very possible it has the original tires.