cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RVing in Deep South

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
With tropical storms getting ready to hit the Deep South, heavy rains 5-10 inches and extremely high winds, do or will you take your RV out for the Labor Day Weekend. I'm curious if there is any hard core RVers out there. I think I can handle the rain but, with the awning in, I would be worrying about damage to the slide toppers? Seems like this weather would be ideal for RVers without slides.
18 REPLIES 18

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
Hurricane today, clear tomorrow. Saturday will be beautiful on the Gulf Coast. See you in Apalachicola!
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Right now the RV is parked in the driveway at our home. We picked up 9" of rain yesterday and expect almost the same amount, or more, today. I just checked the coach and everything is dry. We have been in the RV during some very heavy rain and we do not extend the slides, as per the owners manual.
Today, when the storms move in from the Gulf of Mexico, I expect the winds to pick up and end up being worse than yesterday. Because of high tides yesterday, our lake had no where to drain and ended up about 18" above the seawall at the highest. I'll keep an eye on the RV again today but I don't expect any problems with the winds or the rain.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Slides out, they are designed to keep the water out. We got 28" in one night while in Gulf Shores. Flooded but didn't have any real issues. Only caution I would give is if you don't intend to move your rig for a few weeks, make sure the brake pads don't get stuck to the rotors. As for the toppers, the only time I lost mine, and I lost all four was when a tornado passed over us in Matagordo Texas. I was fortunate as my neighbor's fiver was picked up and deposited on the grass next to his pad. Another 30' fiver flipped four times injuring all three inside.....be safe....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Can't imagine how boring it would be to spend the entire weekend in the RV listening to the rain on the roof.

It's wonderful.,..My wife and I love it, together.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Alabama Jim wrote:
Chances are you will be fine, but I would ere to the safe side and not go to the Gulf Coast right now.
This is solid advice Jim! I feel bad for those who wanted to take there children out before school starts. Bummer Labor Day with that big storm coming in! My Brother in Law lives in Spring Hill Fla. I'm sure it will be a soaker for him!

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
With tropical storms getting ready to hit the Deep South, heavy rains 5-10 inches and extremely high winds, do or will you take your RV out for the Labor Day Weekend. I'm curious if there is any hard core RVers out there. I think I can handle the rain but, with the awning in, I would be worrying about damage to the slide toppers? Seems like this weather would be ideal for RVers without slides.

J-Rooster, you could be a RVer with no slides too..... just keep those babies in!

Our current coach does not have slide toppers, I don't miss them as they would vibrate in the wind. But, we have another problem, I have to make sure nothing large, like a stick, etc., falls on top of the slide-out as it could damage our air seals.

So, I guess it's a 50-50 thing..... Slide toppers could get damaged or things could fall on my slide tops. I have a mirror on an extended handle to check the tops before I pull them in. A couple of times, I've had to clean them off.

MM.
I hear you MM on the 50/50! Slides in wouldn't work for me with the DW, 2 dogs and a Parrot!

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
sometimes when it rains we get in the toad and go out
This is the approach that I would take.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
In windy conditions we bring in the slide, to stop the fluttering of the topper.
And we stay home on high traffic weekends and leave the highways and over crowded camp grounds to the amateurs
I agree Tom/Barb, were awaiting Labor Day to be over then the late Summer/Fall RVing starts.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
Can't imagine how boring it would be to spend the entire weekend in the RV listening to the rain on the roof. Our DirecTV won't even work when there is rain on the dome!

I believe they still publish books. 🙂
2gypsies your post was a outstanding effort.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
In windy conditions we bring in the slide, to stop the fluttering of the topper.
And we stay home on high traffic weekends and leave the highways and over crowded camp grounds to the amateurs
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
sometimes when it rains we get in the toad and go out

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Can't imagine how boring it would be to spend the entire weekend in the RV listening to the rain on the roof. Our DirecTV won't even work when there is rain on the dome!

I believe they still publish books. 🙂
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I full time, am in the Tampa Bay area. I brought the slide in. Will keep it in tomorrow, too. Tight, but tolerable.

I find it hard to pay for a campground site and then stay inside, but sometimes those are good times too.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)