cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Safe-T-Steer upgrade

AK49er
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to see if anyone has added this to their class B. Was it really worth the money or is the cheaper steering stabilizer just as good?
8 REPLIES 8

AK49er
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys.

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
Have used the "Steer Safe" system on everything from a truck to a DP. Understand ONE THING, it will NOT cure a steering problem. It will help with passing vehicles pushing you and it will help you maintain control if a front wheel blows out, but that is it. It is a stabilizer, NOTHING more. Do I still use the Steer Safe system, you bet, but with the knowledge of its limitations, not as a cure all.

Agree. I put one on our 2000 Endeavor, which was already a good driving coach. It eliminated the rut tracking (where the tire wants to follow the ruts in the road). Even my DW who shares the driving noticed the difference.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
VintageRacer wrote:
I don't think there is a product called "Safe-T-Steer", at least google didn't find one.

My google found Safe T Steer, who makes specialty products and equipment for the wheel alignment industry in Australia.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Have used the "Steer Safe" system on everything from a truck to a DP. Understand ONE THING, it will NOT cure a steering problem. It will help with passing vehicles pushing you and it will help you maintain control if a front wheel blows out, but that is it. It is a stabilizer, NOTHING more. Do I still use the Steer Safe system, you bet, but with the knowledge of its limitations, not as a cure all.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think there is a product called "Safe-T-Steer", at least google didn't find one. There are similar sounding products, either a Steer-Safe - a centering spring system that forces the steering into an adjusted straight ahead position, or Safe-T-Plus - a hydraulic steering damper system that has a pre-loaded center point that acts mostly as a steering damper. Which one are you asking about?

I'm of the opinion that adding a strong (they tout up to 400 lbs) spring to the steering system forcing into a mechanical center is not the right thing to do. You have caster and trail built into the steering that does that naturally - adjusted properly with good components and it will do as well as that particular axle design can do. The hydraulic damper system is a different thing - it's not designed to maintain center anywhere near as much as it is designed to dampen transient road shock. That is often very beneficial, my truck has one stock and an upgraded one can be a benefit. But the feel will be smoother road feel, not a reduction in wander. At the end of the day, sometimes a truck just handles like a truck - lousy compared to your luxo-car...

Edit - forgot to say that if your Class B has the older style steering box with a drag link and a tie-rod connecting the two front hubs, it's worth while checking that the steering box is centered correctly. It has a built in self-centering action inside it's hydraulic boost mechanism in the power steering, and if you have had alignment or front end work that put the steering box a little off center it will always be applying a small correcting force that can feel a lot like wander.

Brian
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

SolidAxleDurang
Explorer
Explorer
Safe-T-Steer upgrade? Does this imply that the steering is unsafe and this product "fixes" it?

How about fixing the unsafe steering components themselves instead of applying a band-aid??
TV = 15 Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 / CC-LB / CTD / Aisin / 3.42 / 4wd / EBrake
5er = 12 Keystone Avalanche 330RE
Toys = 08 Kawasaki Brutie Force 650i 4x4 ( x2 ๐Ÿ™‚ ) 14 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
In my very firmly held opinion, a totally worthless band-aid. In an effort to cure my old wandering, squirrely Dodge B ('99/'00 RT D190V), I installed one, carefully & per instructions. Didn't make one whit of difference.

But less than 500 miles later, just after driving the curvy west end of the Blue Ridge Parkway, the power steering pump failed, totally & without warning. Thank whatever powers may be, I was turning around in a parking lot at the time. Fluid was full & clean. Can I prove a connection? No, unfortunately. I'd be rich if I could.

But if I owned a honey wagon that badly needed steering help and S-T-P was the only thing that would fit, I wouldn't put one of those POS's on it.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"

(on edit: Yep, my experience was with 'Safe-T-Plus', the spring-centered steering shock in one housing)
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
not a B but I added one to my P-30/32 class A because the handling was dreadful. I guess it was a little less dreadful after installation but that might have been all mental/wishful thinking.
bumpy