cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safety Cones - Do you carry them?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Was considering carrying 3-4 of the orange safety cones aboard my RV. To be used in the event of a flat or breakdown. Place these behind RV between driver's side and side of highway/road at an angle moving away from RV. Are the 18" tall ones with reflective tape adequate?

Like this one:

2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
19 REPLIES 19

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Triangles
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

BillHoughton
Explorer II
Explorer II
IAMICHABOD wrote:
I carry the cones that collapse Like these
They are easy to store and are lighted and reflective.

Wow, do those take me back to my childhood and the collapsible "Boy Scout" drinking cups! Except the cups didn't light up, and wouldn't be much good for warning motorists...

Robocop
Explorer
Explorer
I have 3 triangles and flares since day one. Recently I bought one of these for myself and now give them as gifts. As a former traffic cop I was impressed with the utility and visual recognition of them. And no, I am not a paid spokesperson. Rechargeable LED Flares
Scott

2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V toad

"Courage is the thing. All goes if courage goes."
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
cmeade wrote:
Can not speak for all the states but most including CA the triangles are required by law for any vehicle over 80" in width. BTW all duallys are over 80" in width so whether solo or with camper or pulling any trailer would have to carry them. SRW pulling trailers over 80" in width need to have them in TV or towed unit.

Carry the correct devices for safety, the Triangles and Flares!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
For that use, I carry the triangles.

I do carry cones, but they are soccer cones, for my own use, e.g. marking the limits of the space I want to back into, particularly when doing this solo.

The safety cones could serve both purposes, but are really big to carry.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Camper_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
When I owned a class A with sufficient storage space I carried 4 full size orange cones stacked inside each other and placed in a five gallon bucket in a cargo bay. Now that I have a much smaller class C I'm thinking about getting the folding triangles. I never had to use the cones in a road emergency sitation but did use them around the campsite a few times.
2016 Itasca Navion 24J

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
TyroneandGladys wrote:
Carry them and have many uses. If people are walking across the campsite put one on either side and a stretch a length of yellow plastic chain to act as a mini fence. Do same thing across RV site if leaving for a while to show occupancy. stick on the end of the bike rack arms in parking lots to make sure people see them.
Put on either side of entry step at night with one of these dropped down in the center holes. I lay the lights on the dash when traveling and they are charged up at the end of the day and have a nice soft light for the entry/patio area for the evening.

I like the solar light idea! Good ideas for using the cones in addition to roadside emergencies, as they are big and take up space.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Carry them and have many uses. If people are walking across the campsite put one on either side and a stretch a length of yellow plastic chain to act as a mini fence. Do same thing across RV site if leaving for a while to show occupancy. stick on the end of the bike rack arms in parking lots to make sure people see them.
Put on either side of entry step at night with one of these dropped down in the center holes. I lay the lights on the dash when traveling and they are charged up at the end of the day and have a nice soft light for the entry/patio area for the evening.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I carry 3 bright yellow triangles with 9 BRIGHT RED LEDs.
Folds flat for storage and uses 3 AAA batteries.

ON or Flashing Mode

I stage them 'staggered' starting 10 yds behind vehicle

Also has a Magnetic Base

Imperial Home Flashing Roadside Hazard Lights ~$9/ea
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Livies_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
I carry the reflective triangles. Purchased years ago in pawn shop for $5.00. Have used them twice. Lastest being last month on I40 west of Knoxville when I had a blowout.

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a pop-up cone. Can't remember where I purchased it, I think in Quartsite many years ago. Seldom used it. However, on the way back from an Oregon Rally I saw a fellow rallyer needing roadside service. I stopped, all was well, but I left him with one of our cones. I also keep a couple of collapsible triangles in the coach. I think a full size cone would take up too much room in the rig.

cmeade
Explorer
Explorer
Can not speak for all the states but most including CA the triangles are required by law for any vehicle over 80" in width. BTW all duallys are over 80" in width so whether solo or with camper or pulling any trailer would have to carry them. SRW pulling trailers over 80" in width need to have them in TV or towed unit.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry the cones that collapse Like these
They are easy to store and are lighted and reflective.

As a trucker we were required to carry the triangles,and I used them many times,the problem with them is they often would be blown over or moved by passing traffic. These were the commercial type and were very heavy,not like the ones that you can buy on Amazon,the cones did not seem to have that problem,I carried both.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

dadechil
Explorer
Explorer
Folding triangles and two LED road flares

road flare