cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

seatbelt laws

pump-dump-go
Explorer
Explorer
I read in some forums, where people are asking about rigs with X amount of seatbelts.
I guess all states now require pilots and co-pilots to use seatbelts.

What about the other passengers? I see many rigs with seatbelts UNDER the sofas, and I know it would be SAFER in passengers are buckled in, but is it required for passenger to remain in their seatbelts while traveling. Just wondering. 🙂
36 REPLIES 36

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:
frankdamp wrote:
dubdub07:

I suggest you check applicability of California vehicle rules as they apply to vehicles registered in another state. Obviously, traffic rules apply, but vehicle construction rules probably won't. For example, it would put a big dent in CA's tourist business if all incoming vehicles had to meet their emission regulations.

Thanks. I really want to come out as being in Colorado I am not far away.

I can tell you in all the years I've been driving a motorhome in California I've only been pulled over one time. And that was because I was towing a flat trailer with my Harley on it and I had somehow lost my electrical adapter and couldn't plug the trailer into the motorhome so I had no trailer lights. Pretty sure that would be illegal in every state. I was traveling in daylight so he didn't give me a ticket.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
50 different states and 50 different sets of laws. I was a cop for almost 30 years and all I can tell you is current California law requires all people in a motorhome to be in seatbelts. It originally started out as front seat passengers only and they quietly changed it and I didn't even know they changed it until I saw somebody on here mention it and I looked it up. My MH only has 5 sets of seatbelts in it. So technically I can only carry 5 people.

I want to go to Cali so bad in my MH, but all the crazy laws scare the******out of me.

I'm not going to deny that we get some weird laws, but I can assure you California isn't the only one with this particular law. I recall debating a guy on here many years ago who lived in Texas and he complained about California's dumb laws like not being able to have a TV turned on that the driver can view. So I looked up Texas law for him and showed him they had the same law.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
frankdamp wrote:
dubdub07:

I suggest you check applicability of California vehicle rules as they apply to vehicles registered in another state. Obviously, traffic rules apply, but vehicle construction rules probably won't. For example, it would put a big dent in CA's tourist business if all incoming vehicles had to meet their emission regulations.

Thanks. I really want to come out as being in Colorado I am not far away.
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07:

Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of worry about nothing. Load up and go. We finally made it last October and outside of a agricultural inspection for gypsy moths at the state line on I-80 because we are from PA there wasn't anything to deal with that we haven't encountered anywhere else we have traveled.

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
50 different states and 50 different sets of laws. I was a cop for almost 30 years and all I can tell you is current California law requires all people in a motorhome to be in seatbelts. It originally started out as front seat passengers only and they quietly changed it and I didn't even know they changed it until I saw somebody on here mention it and I looked it up. My MH only has 5 sets of seatbelts in it. So technically I can only carry 5 people.

I want to go to Cali so bad in my MH, but all the crazy laws scare the******out of me.
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:
holstein13 wrote:
My coach has lap belts on the couch behind my driver's seat. Unfortunately, that' the last place my kids want to be while we are traveling. They (and I) much prefer they stay in their bunk beds watching DVDs or reading while traveling.

I wish I could install safety nets in their bunk beds (like some OTR truckers use) as I think that would be the optimum solution.

My two love to travel in the bunks. Fleetwood on the Discovery 40G put real nice nets covering the fronts of the bunks. I could post a pic if desired.

WW
Yes, please do. Sounds like a great feature.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
My coach has lap belts on the couch behind my driver's seat. Unfortunately, that' the last place my kids want to be while we are traveling. They (and I) much prefer they stay in their bunk beds watching DVDs or reading while traveling.

I wish I could install safety nets in their bunk beds (like some OTR truckers use) as I think that would be the optimum solution.

My two love to travel in the bunks. Fleetwood on the Discovery 40G put real nice nets covering the fronts of the bunks. I could post a pic if desired.

WW

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
J-Rooster wrote:
Any seat that has an attached seatbelt you must buckle up Federal Law. I would check liabilities with your insurance company too see if your covered when sitting in a seat belt chair unbuckled.

Care to quote the statute?

Never seen or heard of a requirement for adults to be belted in the back seat.

Not saying it's a bad idea, just not the law.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Robert for the above, I couldn't agree more...

I fight within myself daily to avoid getting political on this site, but...

I sometime choose to ride my motorcycle without a helmet.
I let my kids wander the nieghborhood, campground, and even forest unattended.
I've never tried to cinvince anyoone that my dogs "like their cage" (I don't own a dog cage)

And behind the front seats, any seat belts in my rig are stuffed behind the couch cushions and have never been used.

For those who say "the safe way is the only way", how did you escape your cubicle long enough to go out in an rv?

End of rant....
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

robertbenita
Explorer
Explorer
MotorPro wrote:
All the laws in the world can't change the laws of physics or fix stupid!

Apparently all the laws in the world can't change rude or lack of common courtesy either!

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Seat belts that are attached to the seat frame and are lap-belts only are about as much use as certain appendages on a boar hog! All front seats should have 3-point lap & diagonal belts.

Unfortunately the loads involved in a sudden deceleration accident can seriously damage structure if a diagonal belt is attached to something that wasn't designed to take the load.

Also, I don't think that Class A front ends meet car-applicable crash-worthiness rules, so, if the the front end is the impact area, the belts wouldn't be much help.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)