cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shaw Satellite service

rickvikki
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone: Another newbie question-we have a satellite dome on top of our RV but are thinking of using Shaw Satellite TV service for travel in Canada and U.S. which apparently is not compatible with our Dome satellite. We have been told that our rooftop dome can be reconfigured to work with Shaw service or we can use a satellite tripod on the ground. Just wondering everyone's opinion on these choices. Also any comments on Shaw Satellite as a provider?

Thanks in advance, Rick
"Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think
Enjoy yourself, while you're still in the pink!
The years go by, as quickly as a wink
Enjoy yourself, enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Rick and Vikki Landry
Ottawa, Canada
Tiffen Phaeton 2006 (40 ft.)
15 REPLIES 15

Gadget_Guy1
Explorer
Explorer
tourlady522 wrote:
Gadget Guy
Where did you get your traveler and how much as it. Did you need to get a new receiver for it as well?
Was it worth the money?

I purchased it in Quartzite at Satelite Advantage (Paul). I had brought my receivers with me but he can supply them as well. I do know you can get the same system in Canada as well but the price was considerable cheaper in Quartzite. It was one of the best purchase I have made and certainly am very happy with it. I believe last winter he was selling them for around $1,800,00 including a new receiver.

katoomer
Explorer
Explorer
We recently made the swap from Bell to Dish Network. we now get good reception everywhere. A much improved picture quality compared to bell. It is a pain that you have to call to get network stations each time you move.
2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2010 KTM 450 XCW six days
2010 Can Am Outlander 650 XT
2014 Can Am Outlander 500
2007 Yamaha YZ250F
1989 Douglas Skater 21' Twin 2.5s

tourlady522
Explorer
Explorer
Gadget Guy
Where did you get your traveler and how much as it. Did you need to get a new receiver for it as well?
Was it worth the money?

don_lou
Explorer
Explorer
Bell HAS MADE changes.It won't work !
Don & Louise

Sooboy
Explorer
Explorer
katoomer wrote:

We have Bell and its works fine for us south of the border. If I remember correctly it does lose some channels as we get further south

It probably won't work for much longer. Bell is making changes...
2012 Jayco Embark TB390
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar
2009 Honda CRV (mini toad)
2014 Ford F-150 4x4 (monster toad)
FMCA #F413428

michelb
Explorer
Explorer
katoomer wrote:
wilco wrote:
In addition FWIW, Shaw now appears to be the only option for Canadian TV down south. Bell's new satellite apparently only covers a few miles south of the border so you should probably not consider Bell as an option if you Snowbird.

We have Bell and its works fine for us south of the border. If I remember correctly it does lose some channels as we get further south

FYI, Bell has changed the only satellite (91) that was still visible in the US this summer and based on all the reports I've seen (and the coverage map provided by Telesat who actually own and launched the new satellite), you can no longer get any Bell service much more than a few hundred miles from the Canadian border (i.e. you might be able to still get it in Northern Michigan but you won't get it in Florida, Texas, Arizona or Mexico, etc).

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Shaw Direct is a good choice. I have heard stories, true or not, that indicated that once out of Canada, Bell customers have more trouble with their provider. Not sure about compatiblity with what you now have on your roof, but there are automatic systems for the Shaw Direct service. Budget minded RVers often use tripod mounted dishes, or other contraptions for the dish, to gather the signals. These can help defeat potential signal-blocking overhead obstacles where the vehicle itself is in a fixed position. The larger Shaw dishes give service to a broader North American area than any provider, Canada through to Central America. Like Bell they also give you Hockey, but maybe not this year.

katoomer
Explorer
Explorer
wilco wrote:
In addition FWIW, Shaw now appears to be the only option for Canadian TV down south. Bell's new satellite apparently only covers a few miles south of the border so you should probably not consider Bell as an option if you Snowbird.

2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2010 KTM 450 XCW six days
2010 Can Am Outlander 650 XT
2014 Can Am Outlander 500
2007 Yamaha YZ250F
1989 Douglas Skater 21' Twin 2.5s

goofyguy
Explorer
Explorer
there is a automatic roof mounted dish for RV that will connect to shaw.I tHink its called motosat,Its a new system last winter and cost 2300$.I know of a guy from Alberta that installed one to use shaw SAT in Indio

Gadget_Guy1
Explorer
Explorer
The other problem you will have besides mounting the correct LNB is the size of the dish inside a dome is fairly small compared to the actual size of the Shaw Dish. This will affect your reception, in fact some places in Mexico you need the larger dish to get full reception of all the transponders.

michelb
Explorer
Explorer
As crasster mentioned, it's the LBN on your dome that's not compatible with Shaw. Technically it should be possible to switch the LNB but you might not be able to get exact parts to do a direct swap so might have to fix something up yourself. It might also be a lot cheaper just going with a dish on a tripod which would certainly work.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have to have the right type of LNB to get it.

Dish & Directv use compatible LNB's for their service so it is not compatible. Call them and ask what kind of LNB to get and they may be able to help. Perhaps you could even put it in the dome.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

wilco
Explorer
Explorer
tfw

Gadget_Guy1
Explorer
Explorer
For the last 11 years I had my Starchoice/Shaw Direct mounted on a hinge that would fold the dish back behind the coach and it would generally take me all of 5 minutes to set up for TV viewing. Last winter I upgraded to a Traveller which is an automatic unit mounted on the roof. Works very well and am very satisfied with it. The basic reason I changed is that I am not getting any younger and it is easier just to push a button and besides I have observed that there is never an armoured car following a hearse.