cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shiny RV with Red Max Pro (pics)

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you use this stuff? We were getting that chalky finish with faded and peeling graphics. I was waxing it with Meguiars--trying to avoid the graphics and spray them with 303 Protectant instead. I spray the dirt off after almost every trip too. We've only had it 15 months--I hated to see it get "old looking" under my care.
Replant just mentioned Lowes Red Max Pro and I read the links. Wow! Why not take the chance that the fiberglass would be looking shiny and new?
It worked! Here are a few pics.

The graphics bleed out color when washed.

And they were peeling up at the edges. I took a flat razor blade holder and trimmed off the peeling edges--

This is after the trimming. They are a bit ragged in places, but at least no longer peeling.

I used my little power sprayer with TSP in it and scrubbed with Bar Keeper's Friend as recommended.

This is the tire cover with one side is just washed with a sponge and TSP, the other is washed with a green scrubbie and Bar Keeper's Friend. I also used the white scrubbie (1000 grit sandpaper grade and much more expensive) for scratches--it did wonders even on the cab metal but for most of the job I used the cheap green stuff. I completely wore out 4 half sheets!

This is a "before" of the cleaned passenger side.

Red Max Pro Step 3 ready to apply.

Finished! It took me about 10 hours to do the job.

Plus I washed and waxed the cab. But by this time I was losing daylight so it is harder to see the shine.
I'm really pleased with the results. The recommendation is a new coat every year--that is a lot longer time period than waxing.
This was a good project for the start of a great season. I think it was worth the effort!
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021
413 REPLIES 413

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
I'll just say that I think the prep use the most important part of the process, and it's best to get all of the oxidation and previous wax off. That said, I'll also say I didn't use the tsp, but did go over the whole thing with bar keepers friend and rinse it well. You could try it, but it may not adhere correctly, or look as good. Maybe try a small section somewhere and see what happens?
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

jennag02
Explorer
Explorer
I have just paid to have a professional cleaning/wash and they would not wax as they stated I have too much oxidation (white powder) however they removed most of it during the wash; minimal left. So I am looking for wax alternatives -- NuFinish was used previously but is labor intensive and doesn't seem to last.

Do you all that have done this process think the TSP and Bar Keepers process would be needed if I seal now after the professional wash? I ask as the campground I am in will not allow washing so am limited on what I can do!!

Thanks for any advice.

Newtime Full Timer

fizikpal
Explorer
Explorer
bacabunch wrote:
fizikpal wrote:
bacabunch wrote:
fizikpal wrote:
I did this process two years ago and it came out great. I would like to do it again (I had to recaulk all of my seems and have wrecked some of the finish).

How do I remove the remain RMP? If I do the process again (TSP and BKF) will that remove the old finish or do I need to use a floor stripper?

I would like to redo my MH as well, do you use a stripper first and then the TSP and BKF? I had some streaking and flaking on my decals. I probably should not have waxed any of the graphics.

Thanks,
Ben

Ben

I had some flaking on the rear end of the coach which gets beat up by the sun. I used Zep floor striper. It was a major pain to remove the finish. The chemicals run before they loosen the wax. Long story short, and sore elbows, I think I removed most of the wax on the back. Then I did the normal process of BKF, TSP and now I am using ZEP High Traffic Floor Polish.

After doing all of that I did a test section (driver's side rear section of coach) with just BKF and TSP, then three coats of ZEP HTFP. It looks pretty good in the fading daylight. Will inspect tomorrow and report out.

How did it go?

Mission accomplished. I did not use the stripped anywhere else than the back. I did do the BKF and TSP over the whole coach and then applied three layers of ZEP HTFP. Came out great.
The Lynch's
2002 Shasta Cheyenne 308
TOAD: 2003 Honda Civic
Sterling Tow Bar with Brake Buddy

Wills6_4_Hemi
Explorer
Explorer
brirene wrote:
Somebody recently posted a picture in another thread of their aluminum sided tt, and it looked great. I was unable to find it to repost. I believe the process is the same. Maybe try a new thread titled RMP on aluminum, or do a search. If I come across it I'll post it here.

EDIT: Found it!
Thanks.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Somebody recently posted a picture in another thread of their aluminum sided tt, and it looked great. I was unable to find it to repost. I believe the process is the same. Maybe try a new thread titled RMP on aluminum, or do a search. If I come across it I'll post it here.

EDIT: Found it!

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Wills6_4_Hemi
Explorer
Explorer
will RMP or the equivalant work on aluminum? my TT is not fiberglass. if so how should I apply it? my tt is a 95 model and it needs waxing or something.

bacabunch
Explorer
Explorer
fizikpal wrote:
bacabunch wrote:
fizikpal wrote:
I did this process two years ago and it came out great. I would like to do it again (I had to recaulk all of my seems and have wrecked some of the finish).

How do I remove the remain RMP? If I do the process again (TSP and BKF) will that remove the old finish or do I need to use a floor stripper?

I would like to redo my MH as well, do you use a stripper first and then the TSP and BKF? I had some streaking and flaking on my decals. I probably should not have waxed any of the graphics.

Thanks,
Ben

Ben

I had some flaking on the rear end of the coach which gets beat up by the sun. I used Zep floor striper. It was a major pain to remove the finish. The chemicals run before they loosen the wax. Long story short, and sore elbows, I think I removed most of the wax on the back. Then I did the normal process of BKF, TSP and now I am using ZEP High Traffic Floor Polish.

After doing all of that I did a test section (driver's side rear section of coach) with just BKF and TSP, then three coats of ZEP HTFP. It looks pretty good in the fading daylight. Will inspect tomorrow and report out.

How did it go?
"White Knuckles" Ben :E
2020 Springdale 282BH Travel Trailer pulled by a 2015 Chevy 2500HD Silverado LB.

Ben:EMarisela:RNatalie:MMaria:BEmily:WMatthew:oAbby>JoeJoe: Bogey(Westie):p Gracie(Shih Tzu) :M Daisy (Yorkie)

fizikpal
Explorer
Explorer
bacabunch wrote:
fizikpal wrote:

Thanks,
Ben

Ben

The Lynch's
2002 Shasta Cheyenne 308

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Guess I'm not understanding why the mad rush to strip off the old RMP? Another thread has a couple of guys wanting to do this too. Is the finish too bad to simply put a refresher coat or two over what's already on there?

bacabunch
Explorer
Explorer
fizikpal wrote:

Thanks,
Ben
"White Knuckles" Ben :E
2020 Springdale 282BH Travel Trailer pulled by a 2015 Chevy 2500HD Silverado LB.

Ben:EMarisela:RNatalie:MMaria:BEmily:WMatthew:oAbby>JoeJoe: Bogey(Westie):p Gracie(Shih Tzu) :M Daisy (Yorkie)

fizikpal
Explorer
Explorer

The Lynch's
2002 Shasta Cheyenne 308

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
I just used a regular sponge for the application. One of the big yellow ones, maybe 4x8" or so. Didn't have any problems with discoloration.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
In the previous threads it is recommended to use WHITE Microsoft towels to apply. I have lokked all over and cannot find any white ones, all are colored. My TT is white so I dont need to off color it. Where did you find the white towels or what microfibre sponges worked, again I only found blue ones!

Thanks, BTW I went to lowes and got the wet look stuff today.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Red Max Pro had a number system, and #3 is what we all used. Some who have used both posted here that wet look is the equivalent of #3. I still have some red max, so have not personally used wet look yet. Seems like someone mentioned using high traffic, maybe earlier in this thread, but I don't know the results.