cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shopping for 19.5" tires...

ElCaminoManT
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to replace the tires on our 08 Four Winds Super C and since there seems to be a good amount of deals for Black Friday / Cyber Monday, figured will get something ordered this weekend. The tires currently installed are Hercules 225/70R19.5 and are only 2 and 3 years old but when we bought the unit back in May, I found both inner duals were essentially flat due to leaking valve stem extensions. I have to idea how long the tires were run this way but I think it was for at least a bit as there is an obvious difference in the wear on the tread between the inner and outer dual tires. I'm pretty sure there is damage to the tires as even with a proper spin balance as well as Centramatics, there is still a frustrating shaking while driving down the road. Another issue that I found is the amount of weight on the rear axle is actually several hundred pounds over what the combined rating is of the current 4 rear tires so I'm going to step up to the next load range (G to H) as well as step up to a 245/70R19.5 tire for a bit more meat on the ground (and the H load rating).

There are so many dang options for tires out there; from $150 to $400 per tire, holy smokes! I'm debating between the Samson GL283A on the cheap end, the Roadmaster RM170 in the middle and the Toyo M143 on the expensive end. We dream of traveling all over the country but in reality we likely won't be able to do that for quite some time so the moho won't see a huge amount of miles, just short trips around the west coast. Being a auto technician for a living, the 'you get what you pay for' saying is usually pretty true (at least in the German car world ) but there is a lot to wrap the mind around between $1,000 to $2,500 cost if the moho mostly just sits.

Any help, input or experiences with these tires would be most greatly appreciated! and Happy Thanksgiving!
John

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT2 CC LB 4x4 DMAX/ALLISON
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40AD Cummins ISL 400hp
2017 Mirage UCH16 car hauler trailer
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ 4x4 "ol flakey"
2013 VW CC Sport (hers)
2012 VW CC R-Line (mine)
8 REPLIES 8

ElCaminoManT
Explorer
Explorer
ended up ordering the Samsons from simpletire, they had a 10% sale with free shipping so it didn't sting quite so bad ๐Ÿ™‚
John

2013 VW CC Sport (hers)
2012 VW CC R-Line (mine)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I will add that I run the Toyo M143 on the front.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ElCaminoManT
Explorer
Explorer
ronfisherman wrote:
On the Kodiak chassis there was only one size rim. In either steel or aluminum. You should not have any problem going to 245 tires. Make you are getting at least load range G.

my buddy has an 08 Seneca with the Alcoas and the 245s, same 6.75" rim width which is what made me decide to want to replace my 225s with 245s. i have G load rating on now but to go higher to the H rating, i have to go to the 245s as they don't seem to make the 225s in an H rating.

thanks Ron!
John

2013 VW CC Sport (hers)
2012 VW CC R-Line (mine)

ElCaminoManT
Explorer
Explorer
Ava wrote:
I am happy with the Toyos on my rig but as said you need to make sure the size of tire fits and does not rub. Whatever you use take the same care of the tires. If the Moho is going to sit for a long time, it might be good to raise it slightly to take some of the load off the tires. Inflate to proper pressure, use a good tire uv protectant such as Aerospace 303 or cover them.
When you are buying tires, check the date code to make sure they are new and have not been sitting on a shelf for a couple years.

with the amount of room between the duals now, there shouldn't be any issues with rubbing. 245s were an option from the factory using the same 6.75" wide wheel. I'm a freak about tire pressures, I'm pretty sure people think i check them too much (which i do not think is possible honestly), when in storage i have the jacks down to take some weight off the tires, its parked on gravel for good drainage, and they are always covered with quality covers. as I'm sitting here camped in Bishop for a week, the covers are in place ๐Ÿ™‚
John

2013 VW CC Sport (hers)
2012 VW CC R-Line (mine)

ElCaminoManT
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Be careful about going to the 245 tires as the rims may not provide enough clearance and the duels will hit each other.
I used 245s onthe fron of MH to give better stability.
I use 8.00-19.5 Double Coin tires on the rear. They are very common here in the northwest and used by many truckers. Very good value! I have had several sets over the years.
I have metal long valve stems on the rear. They are bent for easy access.

there is approx 2" of spacing between the 225s that i have now so the 245s should fit no problem.

i also had a truck tire shop replace the valve stems with quality extended metal stems that are bent for much easier access. I'm a nut about tire pressures, i check them before and during our travels.
John

2013 VW CC Sport (hers)
2012 VW CC R-Line (mine)

ronfisherman
On the Kodiak chassis there was only one size rim. In either steel or aluminum. You should not have any problem going to 245 tires. Make you are getting at least load range G.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I am happy with the Toyos on my rig but as said you need to make sure the size of tire fits and does not rub. Whatever you use take the same care of the tires. If the Moho is going to sit for a long time, it might be good to raise it slightly to take some of the load off the tires. Inflate to proper pressure, use a good tire uv protectant such as Aerospace 303 or cover them.
When you are buying tires, check the date code to make sure they are new and have not been sitting on a shelf for a couple years.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Be careful about going to the 245 tires as the rims may not provide enough clearance and the duels will hit each other.
I used 245s onthe fron of MH to give better stability.
I use 8.00-19.5 Double Coin tires on the rear. They are very common here in the northwest and used by many truckers. Very good value! I have had several sets over the years.
I have metal long valve stems on the rear. They are bent for easy access.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker