Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smell and heat from rear wheel wells

BigCanoe
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

Sometimes after even a 20-30 mile trip I will get a whiff of a weird smell coming out from under the coach. It smells like burning plastic or something. It seems to come from the rear wheel wells. The wheels and tires are warm or hot to the touch. It goes away quickly and I havent noticed any issues with breaking, or any noises. Before I take it in for service, any thoughts on what it could be? We did have ants infesting the insulation and would find little white piles of "dust" under the RV but we have taken care of that with some ant traps. I thought maybe it was plastic burning off from those droppings but it could be brakes or axle I guess?

This is on a 2008 Winnebago Outlook 31C with only 10k miles.
2008 Winnebago Outlook 31C
2013 Honda Fit 5-speed
25 REPLIES 25

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 its brake related. or the bearings are froze up.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
An 11 year old chassis with only 10k miles, which means it sat alot. My first thought would be a sticky brake caliper.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

BigCanoe
Explorer
Explorer
Even the tires are warm. I will check the tire pressure first.
2013 Honda Fit 5-speed

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
your wheels should NOT BE HOT.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Have you slithered under the RV to look? I would suspect something hanging down near the exhaust. Perhaps a piece of road debris? With all the garbage laying on some roads, it's not hard to pick something up.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

BigCanoe
Explorer
Explorer
I will check the tire pressure. The parking brake is released, but no idea if its dragging or not? Ok didnt know that about the bearings!
2013 Honda Fit 5-speed

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't leave the parking brake on by chance?

You say the tires are hot as well... Have you checked the tire pressure, to ensure it's appropriate for your rear axle weight?

Axle seals are not usually a problem on the E450. And you don't have drum brakes so it can't be brake cylinders. Rear wheel bearings don't get "re-packed" because they are lubricated by the differential oil.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would look for a wiring harness close to the exhaust.
Look at inside of the rear wheels for signs of a fluid leak.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Really the best idea is to take it in and have the the shop identify the source of the smell. Then you can decide if you need or want to pack the bearings.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

BigCanoe
Explorer
Explorer
Would getting the bearings repacked and seals replaced be a good idea?
2013 Honda Fit 5-speed

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
A common problem is the seals for the axles will leak. Small amounts of rear end grease will get on the brake shoes or drums, if it's a small amount of grease it won't always affect braking performance. This can result in a smell that I guess could be mistaken for burnt plastic.