cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spare Parts To Carry

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Just when does it end? From past experience I carry a generator board, HWH pump, HWH misc. parts, spare tire, starter, AC unit caps, Lord knows how many tools I probably don't need, etc. I carry so many parts that I had to make a list of them and keep it in the parts bin as I just can't recall how many parts I have. When does it end? Today the topic I just read was water pumps. Do I need to carry a spare water pump as I don't want to be without water? Some places I camp are far from decent supply places.
50 REPLIES 50

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I try to carry as few spare parts as necessary. However, there are a few that I consider to be mandatory. Fuel and oil filters for engine and generator and fan belts for engine and generator. Spare light bulbs for tail and blinker lights but not headlight (pick that up anywhere) as well as porch or similar lights. Otherwise, I have every tool I have ever used even once. No spare tire and no tools to change a tire (that's Good Sam's road service's job). Duct tape and all forms of oil are always on board. Most anything else can be dealt with at the next destination or at the next service appointment.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Extra woman to bring alone is nice in case the dishwasher you married or cook breaks down.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I carry xtra fuel filters and some wrenches. Ebay sellers will ON stuff also.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Amazon Prime can have you most parts the next day.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

C20
Explorer
Explorer
We carry a spare serpentine belt, fuel filters, and alternator (had one replaced that we didn't need). Carried a spare tire in the bed of the Toad for a year, but have a short bed now with no room so got rid of that. have used the filters but other than that knock on wood no need for the others. I agree with most, credit card and coachnet and cell phone!
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a credit card and my coach net card. They are both light and take up very little space.
2013 ACE 29.2

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
OK. I'll admit it. I'm one of those who overdoes it and carries a LOT of spare parts. Not only chassis related, but "house related" too. And, believe it or not, it has gotten me out of a bind on several occasions. I also carry a lot of spare hardware of various sizes and configurations - nuts, bolts, screws, washers, threaded rod, assorted fasteners, wire, connectors, glues, tapes, sealants, patches...and here's a handy item to consider...Plastic Tie Wraps of several lengths. I have ties wraps as short as 3" long and as long as 3 feet long. They are very handy to have on hand should something come loose.

Tools? Yep I've got 'em on board, and a LOT of 'em too. Pretty much anything that you can think of, and then some. I even carry a spare Gonkulator!
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
Epoxy and JB Weld.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Duplicate. I didn't see that this was an old post and I had already replied - no spares. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Norman wrote:
Attending Camp Freightliner this week. They will be doing the Service on my rig while I am in class. I will be obtaining a set of spares to carry. I figure the things that are easily fixed IF you have the right parts are Filters and Belts. I will have a set. when i do the next service, we'll use them and I'll put new in storage. I already carry a tool kit, wire, fuses, tape, hose clamps and patch tape. It isn't like the old days an a naturally aspirated Chevy, you could fix just about any problem yourself and get home. I figure if I stall due to a clogged filter or I break a belt, having them shuold make the repair much more likely in a short time frame. If I have a major issue, nothing I carry is likely to help. That is where planned maintenance comes in. If you plan your maintenance and you follow through and DO your maintenance then the incidence of breakdown should diminish greatly.

So I have now been to Freightliner. There is a LOT TO LEARN. SO one item or two I'll be adding to my spares; I will be carrying a gallon of diesel, unless I can get a hose down into the tank. If I need for some reason to change a filter, having fuel to fill the new filter is important. I am also getting a vacuum sealer. Filters and belts do better stored in a air tight vacuum package.

What else regarding maintenance? DO IT! Cummins recommends annual service regardless of mileage. Certain things age. So regardless of whether I have gone 5000 or 15000 miles I will get my rig serviced at a one year interval. Some I can do my self, An oil change is GALLONS of waste oil, so I may have that done, but inspection I can do, Changing a fuel filter and water separator, I can do, Inspecting or lubing brakes and links? Not likely. Not having my own shop makes a lot of this less and less DIY, especially as I age. That all said, Plan your Maintenance and then DO IT!
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most here have mentioned the spares I carry, but in addition I carry a windshield ding repair kit and spare wipers.

I have a UV light to cure the resin, but I'm sure when I need it the bulb will be bad. Considered carrying a spare bulb, but as the OP stated, where does it end? Plenty of UV from the sun.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Easier to just tow a fully operational 35 foot used motor-home behind your motor-home as we do. First on breaks no problem just walk out back unhook and drive away.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
crasster wrote:
Really it's more about the tools. Keep reasonable tools around. Parts vary so much and today's belts are more reliable than times past. Get very good glues and tape though. ๐Ÿ™‚
. Your right, I forgot to mention glues and tape, I carry Shoe Goo, two part epoxy and Gorrila tape. I fixed a lot of things with the Shoe Goo. Gorilla tape fixed a torn awning.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Really it's more about the tools. Keep reasonable tools around. Parts vary so much and today's belts are more reliable than times past. Get very good glues and tape though. ๐Ÿ™‚
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.