cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

spoon shelf supports

Tanya6520
Explorer
Explorer
I am wanting to insert spoon shelf supports into the cabinet to hold a shelf. They will be supporting a shelf 1/4" thick, 17" wide, 8 1/2" deep Do I need a drill to make these holes 1/2" deep? I don't know what the inside of the cabinet is made of. It is a 2010 Roadtrek Sprinter Van.
2 REPLIES 2

Tanya6520
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you

Explorer
Explorer
Tanya6520 wrote:
I am wanting to insert spoon shelf supports into the cabinet to hold a shelf. They will be supporting a shelf 1/4" thick, 17" wide, 8 1/2" deep Do I need a drill to make these holes 1/2" deep? I don't know what the inside of the cabinet is made of. It is a 2010 Roadtrek Sprinter Van.

Look to see what type of wood the back of the cabinet looks like. From what I have seen in mine only the doors and trim are actual solid wood (cherry). I have found in my 2011 190 that the insides of the cabinets are particle board (basically glued under pressure sawdust) and when removing or loosening screws to adjust hinges, they don't hold back in very well. The backs of the cabinets may be more solid or plywood as they are supporting the cabinet on the wall of the van. If you are going to hang a shelf across the back of the cabinet drill a very thin hole first to make sure you are drilling through solid wood. A 1/4" thick shelf is not going to be of any significant weight as long as you don't put anything that has much weight on it. You might want to put some type of support on the front sides of the shelf into the side walls. As the wood in the cabinet is likely a half inch don't drill that deep into it as you don't want to come out the back into who knows what.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road