cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

steering stabalizers

outboardfever
Explorer
Explorer
New Winnie 30' gas. Thinking about a stabilizer.
Any input would help.
Costs?
15 REPLIES 15

phnguyk
Explorer
Explorer
FloridaNative49 wrote:
would really like to know what mod's AERBUS32 ended up making (but, alas, he doesn't take private messages). We, too, have a (new to us) 2012 Winne 37F -- love the Bath & 1/2 floorpan, but just got back from a short shakedown trip and it wasn't all that pleasant. Not too bad with passing trucks, as much as continual FLOAT at the front end. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Have had other MH's not as noticeable, but admittedly our last was a DP and a dream to drive.
Have been reading about Safe Steer and Safe-T-Plus but most comments have to do more with wind or passing sway more than general tracking. At this point ours is definitely a two hander!
thanks in advance for your counsel --- have a big trip coming up late summer.

Rear track bar. Steering stabilizers are only to absorb shock and help in blow out situations. Floaty steering is rear track related. The axle isn't staying centered under the house.

FloridaNative49
Explorer
Explorer
would really like to know what mod's AERBUS32 ended up making (but, alas, he doesn't take private messages). We, too, have a (new to us) 2012 Winne 37F -- love the Bath & 1/2 floorpan, but just got back from a short shakedown trip and it wasn't all that pleasant. Not too bad with passing trucks, as much as continual FLOAT at the front end. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Have had other MH's not as noticeable, but admittedly our last was a DP and a dream to drive.
Have been reading about Safe Steer and Safe-T-Plus but most comments have to do more with wind or passing sway more than general tracking. At this point ours is definitely a two hander!
thanks in advance for your counsel --- have a big trip coming up late summer.

wacdmc
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the Roadmaster steering stabilizer on my 2016 Chateau 31E. The difference was like night and day. The unit is worth every penny. The rig tracks much more consistently and when trucks come by, it moves much less than the factory set up. It's an easy, bolt-on install. I highly recommend.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Now back to your question. If you want a steering stabilizer because it is protection against a blowout or sudden front wheel event I like the Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stablizer. I had several on various motorhomes and prefer that one which is also is well priced although price was not my decision making. I am presently deciding whether to go for the blue Ox true center on my new motorhome.

phnguyk
Explorer
Explorer
Rear track bar. Best upgrade we did.

mikim
Explorer
Explorer
We had ours upgraded at Henderson's Line Up in Grants Pass. No sales tax either.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
That short wheel base on a 30ft rv is also going to be a little choppy. Best thing I ever learned was to look way way down the road and point it rather than steer it.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
You may find as you get used to driving a Class A the perceived handling issues will diminish.

X2.

Also, when you're on the road, watch nearby semi trucks. Those cost many times what a RV does and if they're wandering the roadway, then it's likely your RV is fine and it's just that day's weather or the roadways condition.

One thing I check is truck ruts in the slow lane. If I'm wandering the roadway, I'll move over to the speed lane (traffic permitting) to check if it's better over there.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
You may find as you get used to driving a Class A the perceived handling issues will diminish.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Do all the other things to make it ride and steer better before adding anything to the steering linkage, as it may mask a real problem. I am not saying that they do not help, but make sure everything is in order first.
Wildmanbaker

outboardfever
Explorer
Explorer
No real problems, just starting a long road to make the coach better as we go. Only made one trip so far just getting to the difference between this and 35 years of 5th wheels.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
If your unit has loose steering and wanders at highway speeds then it may benefit from having more +caster. Also, reducing the front tire pressure to the minimum required pressure will give the existing +caster more steering stability.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are a lot of factors that determine the ride of your MH beside adding a steering stabilizer. Mine came with Steer Safe which I always believed that is why I could drive it with one hand like a car even though I had an old P-30 chassis under it. Last year after an accident I drove home with the Steer Safe disabled and I still drove it with one had and could feel no difference in handling. You can start with weighing 4 corners then posting your weights, describing what your handling issues are so you can get better responses to your problem. What is your wheel base? You can also try the CHF that folks with the Ford chassis all say it helps greatly and is free before you start adding expensive stuff that may or may not help.

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
Steer Safe $400.00/$500.00
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ