cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summit RV stainless trim on Allure

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering adding the stainless trim (Premier Armor) from Summit RV Products on our Allure. I am curious if any other CC Allure owners have done this and, if yes, if they might post a pic of the coach. We are trying to decide on the 6" vs 8" trim and Summit has no pics of Allures (they have done Allures, just have no pics).
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA
10 REPLIES 10

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
funtime wrote:
Just a footnote to my earlier post. While I am not here to try and sell Summit products or do I have any interest in the company, if you go with the armor on the bottom of the doors, you might also consider adding the step covers as this completes the flow of the stainless look IMHO. I have the armor, step covers and getting ready to add the inside step kick plates which really jump out when you open the entry door.
To the poster with the Winnie with the armor. Great pics, great looking coach and thanks for sharing. Your pics say it all.
It all comes down to personal taste IMHO.

Yes. The Premier kit includes step cover.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
smlranger wrote:
Scott, looks great on your coach. Summit now makes several versions of the stainless trim. We are interested in the 6" Premier which wraps around the radius of the doors at the bottom.

I have placed a call to Summit to inquire about the corrosion potential of stainless to aluminum. I suspect they have a solution since this stuff is fairly common on high end coaches. When we were at Tom Johnson's getting the Allure, almost every American Coach, Newmar King Aire, and a couple of Entrega Cornerstones had the Summit armor. TJ's is one of Summit's installing dealers since they sell a lot of high line rigs.

The literature I read while at TJ's suggests they use both 3M automotive trim tape and some sort of sealant. They do guarentee the trim will not fall off for the life of the coach.

Are the bay doors on your Horizon aluminum? Those on my Journey were.

SML,
Thanks for the nice comments. I may have to invest in the step cover kit for ours, what the heck, it's only money right?

As for our bay doors, I cannot tell you if ours are aluminum or not. I maybe think that if yours were, then ours are too. I suppose I could go out and attempt to stick a magnet on them to kind of confirm or not. Will do later. Some of that stuff on the Summit site looks really, really nice.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

funtime
Explorer
Explorer
Just a footnote to my earlier post. While I am not here to try and sell Summit products or do I have any interest in the company, if you go with the armor on the bottom of the doors, you might also consider adding the step covers as this completes the flow of the stainless look IMHO. I have the armor, step covers and getting ready to add the inside step kick plates which really jump out when you open the entry door.
To the poster with the Winnie with the armor. Great pics, great looking coach and thanks for sharing. Your pics say it all.
It all comes down to personal taste IMHO.

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Scott, looks great on your coach. Summit now makes several versions of the stainless trim. We are interested in the 6" Premier which wraps around the radius of the doors at the bottom.

I have placed a call to Summit to inquire about the corrosion potential of stainless to aluminum. I suspect they have a solution since this stuff is fairly common on high end coaches. When we were at Tom Johnson's getting the Allure, almost every American Coach, Newmar King Aire, and a couple of Entrega Cornerstones had the Summit armor. TJ's is one of Summit's installing dealers since they sell a lot of high line rigs.

The literature I read while at TJ's suggests they use both 3M automotive trim tape and some sort of sealant. They do guarentee the trim will not fall off for the life of the coach.

Are the bay doors on your Horizon aluminum? Those on my Journey were.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Hey SML,
I didn't know you were looking for pics of this kind of thing. I'd have sent these to you. I know you were looking for some on a CC but, here's our '04 Horizon with the 4" versions. And no, it does not look "Fake" or "Imitation" or "Cheap" in any way. There isn't a campground/RV park that we've been to that someone, or many have come up and asked where we got the nice looking "Chrome" on the bottom edges of the doors etc. I always have to tell them, "It came that way when we bought the coach". But, we're the third owners of it and, I know for a fact that the second owners didn't do it. So, it was added during the first year of ownership by the first owners.

So, the thoughts of corrosion/rust etc. "under" the stainless could have some validity, ours has absolutely no indication of it. And, not one piece has ever shown any signs of starting to fall off or become loose in any way. I managed to "scrape" the left rear one against a car in a parking lot, (man was I pi$$ed off at myself). I'd sure hate to see what it would have done to the paint if that stainless strip was not on there.

Anyway, we love them sincerely. Now that I've found this thread, and learned about Summit, I can have a replacement made for that left rear that I was careless enough to damage. Anyway, take a look at ours and see what you think. Again, it's the 4" stuff, not 6". I think I'd like the 4" better than the 6" but, I've got nothing to compare to up close. Now that I've seen what they can do with our double steps, I might just have them send a kit for them.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Capt__Jack
Explorer
Explorer
Something you should think about the Allure bay doors are Aluminum so unless the stainless is attached with an isolation barrier you may start corrosion between the metals. Paint won't provide the necessary separation.
Jack Foster
Country Coach Allure 40'
Dynomax Chassis Cummins 8.3, 325hp New Custom Paint
2003 Subaru Forester & 2007 Saturn Vue V6 AWD Toads

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Sully2 wrote:
Personal opinion here. Ive looked at them for Allures...and I think they look FAKE and UGLY

That is why I want to see some pics of the stuff installed on the Allure. I've seen it on a number of coaches and it looks good to me. I've not seen it on an Allure and, looking at my coach, I need to be convinced it won't look goofy. It is not cheap and I don't want to spend stupid money on something that ends up looking out of place on an otherwise beautiful coach.

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
Personal opinion here. Ive looked at them for Allures...and I think they look FAKE and UGLY
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

lfeather
Explorer
Explorer
Just a caution; my friend had the SS trim installed on his SOB bay doors and with the extra weight, the doors wouldn't remain elevated.

Larry
Larry, Debbie & Max the Pug
USAF Retired
2014 Itasca Reyo P
2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i 6 speed manual transmission

funtime
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Summit for several years purchasing their stainless step convers on two coaches. On my 2011 42 Tour, Summit makes the stainless trim on the bottom sides of the coach for Winnie which is very similar to what you might be looking at. All I can offer to you is they are a great company, great product with superior grade stainless and excellent support. I highly recommend them and I don't think you will be disappointed with the looks or the quality. Go for it.