cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tag axle lifting

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
In going to weigh my" new to me" coach( 2003 beaver Marquis) It occurs that I was told that the Tag lifts automatically when in first ,neutral or reverse ( which is strange because I have a tag lift button on the console) If in fact it does lift How does one weigh the tag axle? When parked My tag appears to be higher than the Drive wheels .. Maybe its just my imagination. :@
Bill
7 REPLIES 7

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
My tag comes off the ground...eventually. The bloody thing takes a lot of air so the back settles bit until the pressure is restored making it look like it's not up. I just keep mine off until there is a need to raise it than do so manually.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
mpierce wrote:
Executive wrote:
On mine, activating the switch raises the tag. If my speed rises over 6-7 mph the tag automatically comes down. Deactivating the switch lowers the tag. Easy enough to check. While in neutral, go back and see if you can spin the tag wheels. ...Dennis

Not necessarily true, although it may be in some cases.

On trucks, when you "lift" the tag, it comes up off the ground.

On a lot of DP MH's, mine included, it does NOT lift off the ground. One could NEVER "spin" the wheels lifted.

The tag wheels are still on the ground, but the air pressure is taken off. To lift, it needs springs to lift it up, and a lot of coaches do not. Some may.

Our previous '08 Monaco Dynasty worked just like Dennis's. With the switch activated, the tag would lift and stay there if driving less that 6-7 mph. Even parked, you could raise the tag and spin the wheels.

The tag will release the 'lift' once you start the leveling process (we had both air and hydraulic leveling systems on our coach),

On our new coach, the tag does not lift but releases the load on the tag axle. We also only have air leveling.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
On mine, activating the switch raises the tag. If my speed rises over 6-7 mph the tag automatically comes down. Deactivating the switch lowers the tag. Easy enough to check. While in neutral, go back and see if you can spin the tag wheels. ...Dennis

Not necessarily true, although it may be in some cases.

On trucks, when you "lift" the tag, it comes up off the ground.

On a lot of DP MH's, mine included, it does NOT lift off the ground. One could NEVER "spin" the wheels lifted.

The tag wheels are still on the ground, but the air pressure is taken off. To lift, it needs springs to lift it up, and a lot of coaches do not. Some may.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes mine is adjustable , thus the reason I want to understand how and when the lift functions work the tag switch is either on or off ( no auto setting) . I need the tag down , and at one point the air suspension lifted! to turn and back in my sloped drive. Of course weight adjustment is also why . Thanks to all.
Bill

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
On mine, activating the switch raises the tag. If my speed rises over 6-7 mph the tag automatically comes down. Deactivating the switch lowers the tag. Easy enough to check. While in neutral, go back and see if you can spin the tag wheels. If not, then it's not lifted. Yours is an 03 so I'm not sure if your tag is "adjustable". Mine is. There's a gauge in the engine compartment that allows me to increase or decrease the amount of pressure in the tag axle. The heavier the tag, the heavier the steer axle and conversely the lighter the tag the lighter the steer. Also, the heavier the tag the lighter the drive axle and the lighter the tag the heavier the drive. This allows you to adjust the axles for maximum driving ability.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Bill....Mine is similar to what George said his does. Mine has an OFF, MANUAL and AUTO position. I have to turn mine off so the tag stays down when backing uphill into my storage area. I have a label on the dash that says "Tag Axle" to remind me to turn it to AUTO when underway.

You could probably leave yours engaged, (lifting) unless you have a situation like mine where I need the tag to help lift the rear going up a hill in reverse.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

gsander1
Explorer
Explorer
Bill, yours probably works like mine. If the tag lift switch is activated the axle will lift while in first, neutral or reverse. If the switch is not activated the tag axle will not lift. This facilitates slow speed maneuvering. With the tag lift switch activated the tag will go down automatically when you accelerate beyond first gear.

Good luck.
George in Birmingham, AL
03 Country Coach Magna