cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things you need to buy afterwards

Sondi
Explorer
Explorer
What are the things you need to buy after you buy a motorhome? Example: Chocks for the wheels,waterhose,. Is there a list somewhere of basis's you will need to purchase in order to function? a checklist? In budgeting for a purchase I want to be sure I have also included the extras that will be needed. Think of it as buying a christmas tree then buyings the lights and ornaments. 🙂
40 REPLIES 40

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
Duct tape for stuff that needs to be stuck together, and WD-40 for stuff that needs to be NOT stuck together. 🙂

If you travel with G/kids or whatnot, entertainment for them during the rainy season.

Stuff that's easy to cook.

Reading materials - one of the reasons we camp is to get away from the constant bombardment of sensory information.

Umbrella or two or three in the coach. You'd be surprised how often it might become useful.

Plenty of socks.

Jumper cables.

Aspirin & band aids in various handy locations.

Coffee filters.
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

RaenMark
Explorer
Explorer
X2? on the camping in the driveway for a couple of nights. You'll find out fast what you have to go back in for.

Besides the hoses, gloves for dumping, flashlights, you'll figure it out as you go along. I suggest a couple of close to home, close to civilization runs before you venture out on major expeditions. Each trip I find things I've forgotten and things I don't need.
Rae & Mark
Bountiful, UT
2005 Alfa See Ya 40
Finally found a rig I can stand up in!

flfulltimerwinn
Explorer
Explorer
I have a woven mat that's 10 x 6 (I think) that I put outside the door to help eliminate dirt and dust from coming into the MH. I got it at CW, it folds up very nice for easy storage. I also have a old aluminum folding table that when boondocking I can wash dishes on outside with the spray faucet from my rear storage bay. I also use the table for festivals when having guest that tent outside the MH."good morning, coffee anyone?" sorry, washing dishes outside helps to keep my black water tank from filling up to soon, find out where you can do this and where you cant. I live in hurricane territory so even a severe thunder storm can knock out the power for a whole day sometimes more, I have a stove top coffee maker ,camp stove(propane) cooler, Colman lanterns (battery, propane, kerosene) a lot of other things have been mentioned in reply's from others you will find more! safe travels!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Carry enough tools to be equal to your abilities. If you have the skills necessary to make most repairs on your coach, carry the tools you may need. If you do not have the skills, then the tools are just dead weight. In that case, you carry credit cards or a check book.
Almost anything that you need for your coach can be purchased at Walmart or Camping World as you travel. Keep a list of items you need and buy them while on the road.

debandi
Explorer
Explorer
As far as a water pressure regulator, We use a house type regulator set at 50 PSI with adapters to attach it to the spigot and water hose. We seem to get more flow from this device than the one piece pressure reducers.
John Spear RMCS(SW)USN RET '88
Debra is my 'nagagator'! She tells me where to go.
Enjoying our 2006 Roadtrek Adventurs RS

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Good quality wire crimper/strippers, solder-less connectors, co-ax cable, compression coax connectors, co-ax stripper and co-ax connector compression tool. Boxed tool kit, easier to store. Drill & bits. Flares and/or highway triangles. Tire pressure gauges, camping shovel, exterior cleaning supplies. Starting battery charger for toad or MH.

Batteries for electronics and alarms, sizes AA, AAA, 9v, C and D not so often. We try to use rechargables.

If you want to really go overboard like me a full-timer, who at one time was a shop teacher almost 40 years ago. I carry 18 volt battery powered tools that use the same battery. Including the drill, hand held vacuum, impact driver, angle drill, sabre saw, caulking gun, trim router, circular saw, stapler, reciprocating saw, weed eater, with extra batteries and two chargers.

Do you need all this stuff? Probably not, but then again you might find someone like me in a campground who can help you out with a problem rather than run 30 miles to town to buy that one thing "needed" to make the trip much better.

Oh BTW, I carry 3 extra satellite receiver remotes picked up at yard sales. Nothing like getting ready to watch the Daytona 500 and finding the only satellite remote was crushed by a slide-out while setting up.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

cdc
Explorer
Explorer
A few must need items: Water hose, tool kit, first aid kit, good quality sewer hose, rubber gloves for when you dump the holding tanks, step ladder. Also, road service (Good Sam or Coach-net. Other than those items, just purchase stuff used in the stick house. By the way, you will find that after 6-9 months, you will have a large garage sale to sell the stuff you thought was needed. I have a rule, if it hasn't been used in 6 months it out of the MH. Usually, you will need more room for the stuff that is bought on your RV adventures.
Corky, Gracie, and the Herd
HR Imperial DP
Jeep Liberty

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO, we all will probably buy stuff we don't really need, but they seem like a good idea at the time.

Try to be judicious; read the posts here; try thinking "Will this really be good in the long run?"

Inevitably you will make some mistakes, as we are all only human. Have fun! Isn't that what its all about?
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
My list gets longer with every trip I take.......
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

jdocter7
Explorer
Explorer
Did anybody mention tire pressure monitor yet?
Or the expense of the baseplate and towing apparatus? Our setup cost us nearly 3K.
Remember things like inspections and/or special driver's licenses depending on your state.

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
whatever you buy, remember for a lot of stuff two is one and one is none! ... :B

Anonymous

bobtucker
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to add road service. Coach-net or Good Sam

bobtucker
Explorer
Explorer
SURGE PROTECTION

Not just simple surge protector, Check out surge guard and Progressive Industries. Don't leave home without one.

DaveKirby
Explorer
Explorer
Road side service plan and maybe an extended service plan. The extended service plan is controversial, in that you could put the money away for potential repairs rather than paying $1k a year for a plan that may or may not be utilized! I have an extended service plan through Good SAMs. We decided to purchase the plan because we blew the oil pump in our Cat motor after two years old.
Dave and Diane

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have found that this time of year is a good time to look for all those things that are needed to stock up that RV.

It seems that after Christmas a lot of people get new stuff and donate things that they didn't use or need

After Christmas the Good Will stores and other types of thrift shops get a lot of appliances and other goods that are near new and sometimes still in the original boxes.

Last year I scored a near new CrockPot $4, A Electric Skillet in the box $5, Small Toaster $2 with no crumbs in it !! all in working order. Misc. pots, pans and plates, some still in boxes and in great shape.

I see it as a win win situation, I get a bargain and the money I spend goes to a worthy cause, cant get better than that.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C