cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking of a Class C

smithrjd
Explorer
Explorer
We have had trailers for many years, and are thinking of going to a Class C. Current rig is a Jayco Eagle 321RLTS 5th wheel. I see many brands of Class C units, are there ones that should be avoided? Seems Thor's are much cheaper than others. Ford E450 seems to be the preferred platform, anything specific to look out for? Many questions I know. I am comfortable with checking out a unit and know many of the things that are important, but not sure about the motorized part.. Is there a better time of year to buy?

TIA
23 REPLIES 23

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Out of curiosity why a Class C?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Ford E series platform is generally pretty reliable and predictable. Major problems are rare (but do exist occasionally, of course). There are a few common problems that may need taking care of; brake calipers tend to get somewhat sticky from non-use not infrequently, for instance, and often the alignment ought to be improved from how it's delivered (mostly increasing the caster to the upper end of the allowable range). For the most part, though, the chassis if given reasonable care is not too likely to give significant trouble.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the manufacturer having gone out of business as most components come from the same few other companies--the appliances, windows, many standard trim pieces, etc. Then, too, even if the maker is still in business it's no guarantee that they would have any unique parts still available.

For a used motorhome, the initial build is of some importance, but the quality of the maintenance and care the previous owner(s) gave is, in my opinion, of rather greater importance.

I have one with the four speed transmission. It works fine, but more gears would definitely be an improvement; the jumps when upshifting or downshifting are anything but subtle. 4th and 5th gear on the five speed are basically the same as 3rd and 4th on the four speed, so on the highway it has similar jumps when shifting; however, the control logic is somewhat improved. The six speed is definitely preferable to either one.

There is one recall on many years of the E series (and many other Ford trucks) for the cruise control brake switch. If that hasn't been done and is applicable, get it done. They had a tendency to, on rare occasions, short out and catch fire, and that could happen at any time as the circuit is live even with the ignition off.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
look at born free ,we had a 2001 bought used,had 2k on it worked well and seemed well made .they have a very good rep.

smithrjd
Explorer
Explorer
Dealer that I have used for three trailers has a Coachman 311 2016 for $62K. Might get it for a bit less. Also several Jayco Redhawks and Greyhawks. I have owned three Jayco trailers and all were good. Also had a Holiday Rambler 5th wheel, several issues with that one but covered under warenty fine after that. Don't really know many of the others. IE Dutchman, Entegra, Thor. Winnebago seems to have a good reputation, but have not owned one.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
smithrjd wrote:
Another question, I am full of them. How old is too old? Would it really matter if the maker was out of business?

As you go older the transmission changes,
2016 and newer chassis have six speeds
2003 to 2015 had 5 speed tranny's
older models had a 4 speed

The 6.8 engine has been around in several variants since 1998

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™m looking at Cs too. 2016 and up have the six speed trans which Iโ€™ve been told by people who have both, say you want the six speed.

I didnโ€™t think the Thorโ€™s were built well. I havenโ€™t looked at that many.

The Coachmen Leprecaun seemed a little better.

Our wishlist includes an electric fireplace and big tv directly across from theater seating, a residential fridge, cabover storage (no bed) and a full length bed.

Nobody makes this.

The Leprecaun 311FS or the 319MB get close. We like the 319 better but the 311 has a washer/dryer.

Either way some modification will be in order.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

smithrjd
Explorer
Explorer
Another question, I am full of them. How old is too old? Would it really matter if the maker was out of business?

smithrjd
Explorer
Explorer
Considering both, it looks like a good used unit would be much cheaper. But also could come with issues. Diesels are nice, but looking at them they will be too small. We want a couch, dinette and at least a queen size bed. Not a "corner bed". So that seems to mean a 26'+ unit.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
New or used?
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.