Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of a pusher

Buffettphan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

Not new here but it has been a while since my last post and most likely in another category.

Any, wife and I are thinking of a Class A. We are looking at gas but I have since found that used pushers are running pretty close price wise with a used gas in similar size mileage and year.

I love the Winnebago line for their quality but mostly for the roof system. One piece fiberglass. My question is what other brands are using the same roofing system?

Also, what brands are the "stay away from" brands?

We are looking for long distance travel, horse power and of course longer periods staying in the coach.

Thanks for your attention.

Carl
2004 Lance 1010
2005 GMC 2500HD
Bilstine Shocks
Hellwigs
Tork lifts
Stables Loads
Thule duel axle trailer
2012 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Limited
2013 Softail Deluxe
2004 Harley Davidson Sportster 883C
20 REPLIES 20

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
The thing about Winnebago is they publish a regular bulletin whenever some issue comes up, even if it just factory suggestions rather than requirements. All easily downloaded from their web site. When I had a Journey I could find a factory bulletin on maintaining just about any component, be it the roof, the door latch, slides, whatever.

In the used pusher segment, I think Winnies can be a great value.

cpd520
Explorer
Explorer
Lot of good info. Tiffin and Newmar are great. I would not rule out winnebago. They have a great, long term support system. You can find any info you need on any Winnebago on their site. The roof issue is no problem. Simple maintenance. The only people who had problems are those who let maintenance go.
Jack and Nina

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
I would think that everyone agrees that whatever RV you choose, you must resolve to Maintain it. Right? Like Tinkerer says: he performs maintenance on his every yr by treating it.
You wouldn't by a House without inspecting the roof, right? and after buying a house I hope that you'd inspect your roof at least once a yr or once every 2 yrs. It's just common sense. So Wax your RV at least once a yr and treat your roof at least once a yr, while you're at it lube your chassis once a yr too.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
If you can do the pusher, I think you will be a lot happier. I love just taking mine out for a drive. I appreciate how the Winnebago is put together and the resource to work on it if necessary, such as drawings, comprehensive manual, complete parts list. Ours has been very nice to us, especially after coming from a troubled 5th wheel history.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
A well cared for Beaver, or Monaco will also have a fiberglass roof.

it is more important to have a well constructed roof than what it was made from, and be certain it has not been damaged and poorly repaired

even the poorly cared for Beaver or Monaco will have a fibreglass roof
:B

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
A well cared for Foretravel will meet and exceed any requirement you have.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a motorhome that does not have a figerglass roof that is ten years old and still looks great. Clean it and treat it once a year. I wouldn't let that be the major decision factor if you found a coach with a great floor plan that was in your price range

Buffettphan
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the input. I have been looking at the coaches suggested and will keep all this info in mind while we are searching for the perfect used coach.

Thanks again!!
2004 Lance 1010
2005 GMC 2500HD
Bilstine Shocks
Hellwigs
Tork lifts
Stables Loads
Thule duel axle trailer
2012 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Limited
2013 Softail Deluxe
2004 Harley Davidson Sportster 883C

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
Guess its Winnebago bashing day - we have had two Winnebago's purchased new in the last 9 years - Zero roof problems - Note the owners manual says to check the caulking every year which I do

The moderator Bruce had many posts on the only other post I can find this year - he seems to have a axe to grind?

I would have no hesitation on buying a Winnebago coach, myself. What I'd like to know is what is this maintenance all about specific only to Winnebagos?

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
Actually Winnie wouldn't be on my list to consider due to their roof design. Their method of attachment and required maintenance - and what potentially happens if there is a breakdown in the required maintenance, is something that would have me looking elsewhere. Please feel free to do a search and see if it's something you're OK with. Many are.

With that said, I also wouldn't get too hung up on needing to be a "one piece fiberglass roof". Just because it's fiberglass doesn't mean it's quality. Some of the fiberglass that is installed is virtually paper thin. Keep in mind, fiberglass also breaks down over time, and the thinner it is the faster it breaks down.

Our MH has a BriteTek roof. This is our 3rd one with BriteTek, I would order another without hesitation. When we ordered our current MH a one piece fiberglass roof was available, based on our prior experience with BriteTek we chose it over fiberglass. BriteTek is NOT a rubber roof, it is a synthetic membrane. Newmar uses the BriteTek brand, many others simply call theirs a TPO roof. There are differences between TPOs as well.

We've had rubber as well, on both a MH and TT. I would not consider anything with a true EPDM rubber roof.

As far as the MH itself, most us a laminate construction, a few use hung wall. If it is laminated it can delaminate. Hung wall can't. Those using hung wall are Monaco/Holiday Rambler, Newmar, and Travel Supreme/Entegra. We have owned a delaminating MH and I have worked on delaminating motorhomes and TTs. Unless you're getting into a true bus builder, for my money I will pick hung wall construction every time.

^^^^ What type maintenance?

Bruce_Brown
rr2254545 wrote:
sch911 wrote:
Winnebago would be on my list to avoid. For a used coach consider Newmar, Tiffin, and pre 2010 Monaco and Holiday Rambler.

Guess its Winnebago bashing day - we have had two Winnebago's purchased new in the last 9 years - Zero roof problems - Note the owners manual says to check the caulking every year which I do

The moderator Bruce had many posts on the only other post I can find this year - he seems to have a axe to grind?

No ax to grind whatsoever. This forum is to pass on information and help answer questions.

As I said above, just be aware of how Winnebago assembles their roof and the required maintenance that goes with it. If the OP is good with that then I'm sure he'd be happy with his choice. As many MHs as Winnebago sells obviously many, many people are OK with it.

Unfortunately it seems too many people are either unaware of the maintenance requirements and/or they get neglected or forgotten.

When looking at a used Winnebago, as the OP is considering, that should be the #1 thing he looks at. If that part has been neglected, there is no telling how much unseen damage may or may not yet have occurred.

I would hope as a Winnebago owner you would want him to be aware of this as well.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
Winnebago would be on my list to avoid. For a used coach consider Newmar, Tiffin, and pre 2010 Monaco and Holiday Rambler.

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
As Bruce pointed out, hung wall construction would be my first priority. I also would avoid EDPM rubber, but wouldn't rule out a rig with a Brite Tek or a TPO roof material. Those materials are just as good as any solid fiberglass roof and probably better than the thin fiberglass some manufactures use. Good luck in your search.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy