cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thor Axis 24.1 or Vegas 24.1 - the new Thor RUV

anno3
Explorer
Explorer
We are very interested in the new Thor "RUV", but we have only "seen" it online. We have studied every picture we can find that has been released by Thor and the different dealerships, but we would love to hear from those of you who have actually seen it in person or own one!!

For us, the pros are:
1. Length (we wanted to stay around 25 ft)
2. Twin beds instead of a corner bed!
3. Driver's seat should be ok for 6'4" driver
4. Can tow 5000 lbs
5. Gray tank size is better than the Minnie Winnie 25B we are also considering
6. Has windows over the twin beds and at the back!

The cons are:
1. Small shower with hose going to sink???
2. No permanent cabover storage like we have now with our class C

The unknowns are:
1. Could this be serviced at a regular Ford dealership?
2. Will the dash air be enough to cool it? (With our small C now, we only need dash air.)
3. Can the loft bed be lowered and used for storage at the campsite?

Any comments or concerns you can share will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

VietVet1
Explorer
Explorer
anno3,

If you or any forum guest wants answers to their questions pertaining to the Thor Axis/Vegas PM me I just bought one and will give you the full scoop.

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
As far as the dash AC, I has a 24' Class C and rarely had to run the house AC while traveling even with people in the back.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Ah I see now, it's a completely different mechanism. It's got the 4 rail you see on most models. The Ace's bunk is a hinged model with a rest track and motors to pull it up and forward. The downside is the ACE only supports 250#, the upside you can still use the front chairs (which is one of the premier things that seperates A's from C's). I wouldn't have a model that renders the front seats useless. I mean in a small coach you lose half your living room.
2013 ACE 29.2

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think it does carry over to the Axis/Vegas. In image below, it looks like the bunk is right at top of the seat back.

And, in this image, you can see how the cab area is raised which reduces the distance from cab floor to bottom of bunk.

I've not checked specs, but the interior height might also be less on the Axis/Vegas contributing even more to situation.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
hotbyte wrote:
From what I've seen on the Thor ACE, the cab area seats are lower so when the bunk is lowered you can still sit in the seats whether swiveled around for lounging or in driving position. The Axis/Vegas has the cab seating raised some so when the bunk is lowered, there isn't room for most folks to use the seats.

That's correct. The bunks can be down while driving and still plenty of headroom on the ACE models. I do not know if this carries over to the Axis/Vegas. Simple thing to find out.
2013 ACE 29.2

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
From what I've seen on the Thor ACE, the cab area seats are lower so when the bunk is lowered you can still sit in the seats whether swiveled around for lounging or in driving position. The Axis/Vegas has the cab seating raised some so when the bunk is lowered, there isn't room for most folks to use the seats.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

Happily_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
You could use the electric bunk to store things once camped, but not while driving. Am having a hard time imagining many people would want to do that though, because the very comfortable swiveling cab seats can not be used when the bunk is down.
It can be serviced at any Ford dealership that is equipped to handle larger trucks.
We are really pleased with our Axis!
2014 Thor Axis

szn8tt
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
If it's the same mechanism used in the ACE bunk, yes it can be used while driving as it sits higher than the top of the seats. The weight limit on the ACE bunk is 250#. It appears to be the same but you would have to call Thor to get actual answers.

I saw a walk thru video of the Axis and the guy was pointing to the sticker saying how the bunk can hold 500#

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
If it's the same mechanism used in the ACE bunk, yes it can be used while driving as it sits higher than the top of the seats. The weight limit on the ACE bunk is 250#. It appears to be the same but you would have to call Thor to get actual answers.
2013 ACE 29.2

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
It is good for what it is, and the price is right. It provides more useful space than a "C" of comparable length. As for tanks, they are not skimpy, which is a nice thing.

As for the unknowns:

1: The chassis can be serviced, because this is a commonly used box truck chassis. It will require a bay with the big lifts, but this isn't something impossible.

2: Unknown, as this can be subjective. There is more room in the "A" than a comparable "C", so it might be able to handle the whole coach, or one might have to drive down the road with the dash air on. I'd probably ask a Thor dealer, maybe even have them run a test on it to show you.

3: Not sure how much weight the loft beds support. I'm guessing between 350 and 500 pounds, so stuff like bedding and clothing might be OK, but heavier stuff might be pushing it. I'd ask, although the dealer may be clueless since this is a new model.

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
Linky to good thread on them...
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

anno3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks PawPaw for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments.

🙂

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
It is basically the same product as the Winnebago/Itasca Via/Reyo - but on a gas E350 chassis rather than the diesel Sprinter chassis.

The advantage I see folks talk about over the Class C near identical floor plans, same chassis - is the ability to turn the front seats around and 'expand' the living space.

The loft bed can be lowered and used for storage - but I've only seen the Winnebago/ Itasca products - when the loft bed is lowered - the front seats are unusable by anyone whose head be higher than the head rest.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT