cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tips or tricks for new Navion owner?

Caroln_Libby
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a single lady and just bought a new Itasca Navion. Plan on taking it on a trip this week. Any tips or tricks to maximize closet, bathroom, or living space?
7 REPLIES 7

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Caroln'Libby wrote:
I'm a single lady and just bought a new Itasca Navion. Plan on taking it on a trip this week. Any tips or tricks to maximize closet, bathroom, or living space?

Here are three links to what is the best brain trust of knowledge of all things View/Navion:

Skinnie Winnies

View/Navion Tech

View
/Navion Mods

There's also a couple of FB groups. This is a public one: LINK
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Old_Crows
Explorer
Explorer
We use a hanging cloth shoe storage bag (sort of like a hanging shelf) in the closet. You can fill the bins with a mess of daily use clothing stuff. Small baskets with handles for storing condiments, plastic ware, paper plates, nappers & such in the overhead above the sink. Plastic baskets in most cabinets to keep things together...snacks, popcorn, dog food & treats, etc.. A solid plastic bin for storing two L of oil for the diesel and the generator, the assorted glass cleaner, slide out lube, and other spilly things. A holy bin for misc. bits you need. Both stored in the Rt Rear cargo bin with the plastic bottom. A couple rubber/plastic trays (like you would store boots on) in the larger bins in case of spills. Large box drawers are handy for the misc odd things you need.... Roll of duct tape, silicon tape, Velcro straps, extension cords, spare bits, etc.. Small tool bag for several tools...multi point screw driver, small hammer, lg & small crescent wrenches, regular and needle pliers, a medium pipe wrench.

I like mesh or cloth bags or duffles for bulky things (heavy jackets you might not need but don't want to leave home without). You can mash and squash them into that odd space.

Pack like a paratrooper!! who carries everything on their back when they get to the job........featherweight everything you can. Can something do two jobs?

Other stuff...if you are an experienced RVer you may skip.... When you can....extra 25' white water hose; metal water pressure regulator; blue weiner type in line water filter; enzyme cookies/pills/pouches for deodorizing the black and gray water tanks; blue paper shop towels; big box of gray exam gloves for handling yucky poo tank hose and even yuckier diesel pump handles!; a 30 to 50amp adapter plug; a longer poo hose! ( RV sites were built years ago and the hookups don't always match well to the newer RVs .... Dump ports are often far to the rear of the site and your dump valve is near the middle front of your camper.). Oh..you need a small level (2 buck plastic torpedo type is excellent) and some leveling blocks for leveling your RV. I like the Lego style Lynx Blocks...two bags will do it....@Walmart. Put the level on the counter....sort out your level ness....stack the Legos..drive up on them....simple.

A surge protector is highly recommended. I have this one. Google for best price....
http://trci.net/products/surge-guard-rv/hardwires-portables/30a-portable-wlcd-display

Bed, Bath and Beyond; Container Store; and especially WallMart are your friends. WallyWorlds usually have an RV section.

Last thing... You are not likely to need oil for your new Mercedes engine for many thousands of miles. If you see a Mercedes dealer, stop in and get 1 L of oil. Merc diesels require special specification oil.... Don't add a drop of anything else. Ever. Also....never over fill! With the oil HOT! And engine off for 10 minutes the oil level should be no higher that 1/2 way up the hashed area on the dip stick. If overfilled, the dashboard will light up like Christmas and it will insist that you remove the excess oil. (It probably rats you out to Mother Benz in Stuttgart as well ... But who knows?) First 1000 miles drive gently and vary your speed. Be easy on the brakes also!

Good camping! Have fun!
Old Crows

2014 View Profile
2010 Four Winds Ventura
2005 Trail-Lite C-17 Hybrid TT

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
# don,t over pack . get a good road service like GS or coach net. camp in your drive way for a couple nights . get used to how things work. check air tire pressure every trip. and laugh at every little thing that happens wrong. have a safe trip.

dakdave
Explorer
Explorer
congatrats on your new rv. Set out all you want to take along ,then cut it in half. learn as you go .You will find a place for everything and make a list what you didnt need and what you needed but didnt have for next trip.

happy trails
dave

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
We have put most of our goodies in baskets, some of which are plastic, and it makes it easy to store and retreive from the dish cabinet, the pantry, and my tool storage.

I have made several interchangeable add-ons to the hitch receiver and can tow a dinghy and carry cargo or a bike rack.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Moved from Forum Technical Support

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
1st - congratulations, I bet you will love your new Navion. Which floor plan do you have? Our VIA is similar to the View-Navion J floor plan.

There are 3 View\Navion forums on yahoo that are very active and have a wealth of info. Heres the main one: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/View-Navion/info

There's also a tech forum and a mods forum. I recommend joining all 3. It may take a few hours before posts by a new member appear.....a moderator used to have to approve them 1st.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)