cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tire age

luggnutts
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any markings on tires, that would give some idea of their age. I have a 1999 rexhall that I have no idea how old the tires are. Thanks in advance for your help.
18 REPLIES 18

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
parkmanaa wrote:
Obviously, if they are the original tires on that 1999 unit, they are in bad need of replacement.
After you have determined the age, don't fall into that marketing gimmick of replacing at "5 or 6 years". If they are a major brand, go to that manufacturer's website and review their age recommendations. If they are not a major brand, go to Goodyear or Michelin's website and check their recommendation.
You will probably find something to the effect "inspect thoroughly annually and replace at 10 years, regardless of visual condition."

While at that major co. website suggest you check their pressure/load chart to determine, by axle, the pressure you should be carrying in your tires. Size & load range are all you need; brand doesn't matter.

"40 years in the tire industry; seen it all and done most of it"

Except that if you do not know how the tires where maintained then the tire makers recommendation flies out the window.
Better to replace them to soon than wait to long. I speak of experience. Waited had 3 blowouts on one trip.
IT IS CALLED PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE or replace them earlier waste a little money have a blowout risk your rig.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
If after you read the tire. they are more than 4 years old. Replace them. Tires that sit dry out. Rolling makes the side walls flex, and the flexing oils the tire. A tire used often will last much longer than a tire sitting.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously, if they are the original tires on that 1999 unit, they are in bad need of replacement.
After you have determined the age, don't fall into that marketing gimmick of replacing at "5 or 6 years". If they are a major brand, go to that manufacturer's website and review their age recommendations. If they are not a major brand, go to Goodyear or Michelin's website and check their recommendation.
You will probably find something to the effect "inspect thoroughly annually and replace at 10 years, regardless of visual condition."

While at that major co. website suggest you check their pressure/load chart to determine, by axle, the pressure you should be carrying in your tires. Size & load range are all you need; brand doesn't matter.

"40 years in the tire industry; seen it all and done most of it"